• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one?

• PS1

Votes: 204 41.9%
  • PS2

Votes: 283 58.1%

• Total voters

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I prefer OG PS1, PS2 phat is ok as well. I just want a machine that looks like it's made to play some god damn videogames, and not some sort of fancy dvd player. How could you go wrong with OG PS1 and that boot? Masterpiece.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No console packaging has ever looked as good as that minimalist ps2 blue box. Probably never will again.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be controversial here and say I sort of like both equally. They're just going for different things.

I think the PS2 was the first time I saw a blue LED

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
I'd say the slim ps2 looks better between those two.
But the slim ps3 before the super slim is thee best slim console ever created.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are very few things that can compare to the PS2 during its launch. When the console first came around it looked and felt like it was from the future. That said as time went on it just didn't age as well, especially since the Gamecube and Xbox were more powerful with the latter being way more high tech. The original Playstation has a much better "feel" and aesthetics overall. Especially with its boot screen.

Sep 14, 2019
PS2 Slim>OG PS1>>OG PS2>>>PS One.
Also the PSX is something else
Console_psx.jpg
I knew Xbox One got it's design from somewhere!

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
ps1

grey is iconic

though that slim ps2 is just about the best, and that's hard to argue. just immaculate design.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I never owned a PS1 (played it a bunch of times at my friends' houses) but the PS2 slim is just *chef kiss*.

Getting a PS2 in 2009 and catching up on the 15 years of gaming I missed out on is one of my most cherished memories.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember the smell of the PS2 Slim. That new console smell in such a tiny form factor.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate unnecessary design flourishes like the ridges in the PS2, purely cosmetic and they just gather dust. PS1 and GameCube are the epitome of practical, minimalist industrial design

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very difficult choice! Both are great, bit I went with the PSX in the pole.

Edit: The PS2 Slim is the best revision console ever made! Sony took the original design and refined it while also making the console considerably smaller.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Woah, thought this was about the general graphical output of the systems and voted originally based on that. Had to quickly change my vote after reading the OP.

No console comes close to my beloved PSone in aesthetic

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The PS2 Slim is so nice, reminds me of the Turbo Duo.

my favorite is probably the og PS1. one of the best looking consoles, period.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate ejecting CD/DVD trays. The OG PS1 is my favorite pre-PS4 PlayStation design. I do prefer the size of the PS One, but the edges are just a bit too soft.

They're both way ahead of the far too busy PS2 design (and even the PS2 Slim).

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? The GC and original Xbox look ridiculous today. Aesthetically.
I meant in terms of power. The PS2 was the most powerful system when it launched but having it be the weakest really weaken it's "image".

Also, the Gamecube looks aesthetically pleasing to me. The XBox on the other hand...

Window

Oct 27, 2017
The PS1 like design is what I see when I think of a video game console and many games even today use a similar design to show consoles in-game. It's the simplest design to convey that an object is a videogame console I think (besides SNES + cartridges). It's got a Discman/Walkman like quality. I think the PS2 slim looks better though.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
PS2 slim. I think just given the silhouette and no other detail it's instantly recognizable. The PSX would just look like a CD player or an older console. I don't think the PSX design is as memorable on its own.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Gosh, I dunno, I'm having a lot of trouble choosing between the grey plastic box and the black plastic box.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS2 looked way slicker whilst simultaneously still looking retro. Like old school Bang & Olufsun design. The PS1 whilst fairly cool at the time, today just looks too childish.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
PS2 obviously. Both renditions of the console are great, especially the Slim.

The OG Playstation looks like garbage. PSOne looks nice though.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Original PS1 is far better than the PSone.

I would go, PS2 Slim, PS1, PS2, PSone.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Original PS1. PS2 just reminded me of a graphics workstation or something, although it did look cool in vertical mode with the blue stand.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
PS2 no contest, the slim is tied for the best looking console I've ever owned with base PS4. The old grey look is just nostalgia folks.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The PS2 Slim is perfection in console design. I still have my release day one and it's like new.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
PS2 Slim was still the sleekest design of all the models.

PSOne was great too, but I'd always prefer straight edges compared to rounder ones.