• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

I love gaming and I love VR – it has so much potential especially for us gamers. Since I started working in VR many years ago I've longed for a proper action adventure that includes the gameplay depth and freedom of traditional games with the immersion and control you only get in VR. I don't just want to play games and watch movies on a TV when I can literally be the hero in my very own VR action movie. I'm also frustrated by the limitations of on-rails and stationary experiences – we've moved beyond this. So, with Fracked we set out to create a VR game from the ground up that does all this, seamlessly combining combat and free traversal gameplay in a single experience, just like transitioning between on-foot and driving when getting in and out of cars in an action game.

In Fracked, we've cast the player as a hero thrown into the fight. Stuck deep inside a mountain fracking facility the region has been taken over by an army of gun-wielding, interdimensional maniacs known as (you guessed it) the Fracked! As the last hope for the world, you must take them down before it is all too late… We're not going for subtlety here – it is bold, brash and uncompromising in its vision.

And so is the gameplay – it is fast, exhilarating, and accessible. Skiing, running, climbing, base jumping and ziplining are all possible and all happen seamlessly and fluidly. No on-rails gameplay and cinematic cutscenes here, everything is 1:1 and driven by the player's controls, movements, and actions. Combat is unconstrained too, combining free movement for outflanking foes with 1:1 grabbable cover and tactile weapon reloading. What we've shown so far is just scratching the surface – we can't wait to show the breadth and variety of the game in the coming months.

Here are a few other nuggets about the game I'd like to share:

• This is unashamedly a true VR game only possible with PS Move controllers! Climbing, ziplining, reloading and in-world interactions are all driven 1:1 by the player's hands. We couldn't do this using a traditional gamepad.
  • Skiing requires you to physically lean to steer and control. As with the rest of the game it is integrated with the combat – we'll be showing this in the weeks ahead.
  • We have nicknamed the combat "run and cover" gunplay because it mashes run and gun action with an innovative 1:1 grabbable cover system to create an all-new VR-only combat style. Not only does it play differently to what you've experienced before, it feels different too.
  • To maximise VR's 360˚ potential and our free movement vision we have designed arena style combat encounters that double down on verticality.
  • Whilst we have aimed for a new, stylish take on classic action cinema – think a 2021 version of Die Hard or Cliffhanger – below the surface there is a Robocop-style cutting-edge satire about corporate greed and the climate change emergency. If Paul Verhoeven made a VR game (which would be AMAZING), we don't think it would be a million miles away from Fracked!
  • The game is getting PS5 enhancements! Those playing on PS5 can expect improved framerates, loading times and resolution. For those playing on PS4 and PS4 Pro, never fear, it looks incredible and plays the same.
  • We can assure you that it is a complete coincidence that the name sounds a lot like a popular/unpopular profanity.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/03/ps-vr-action-adventure-fracked-launches-this-summer/

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty good trailer. Looks like something I'd be interested in, if it were available for all platforms.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good. Hope it manages to get the movement controls right, something that's pretty hard with the Move controllers.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer was pretty good, seems like they have some good setpieces and the interactivity looked well done. Definitely keeping an eye on this one

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping it was a simple skiing game at first lol. But the action looks pretty fun!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Ummm, fracking? Is that necessary?

I mean the game looks cool but, you know?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Holy shit! Reminds me of Blood & Truth!

At first I thought the snowboarding was the full game, and I was 100 percent down with just snowboarding in VR. Then I was like wait, there's more?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
The impression I got is that you're murdering interdimensional frackers (fracking workers).

I mean it could be the other way, that you're a fracking worker disturbed by the enemies, but I read it as the former.
Yeah. It says you are at a fracking station and then interdimensional people show up called frackers. They don't say if you are a fracker or against it. I am curious where teh bait & switch/story is going with this.

This looks excellent. Should have probably saved it for PSVR2 heh but I guess they can always do a re-release.

Free skiing, climbing and shooting. Loving the combo.

This trailer does make it seem like you are visiting an abandoned station and are just killing frackers. Am I seeing that right?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Like the cell-shaded look. So many VR games that try to look realistic end up looking bad because of budget or hardware limitations.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It looks interesting but at this point I'm not buying move controllers.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Fracking is bad for the environment.

The Fracked are the bad guys, and...

Whilst we have aimed for a new, stylish take on classic action cinema – think a 2021 version of Die Hard or Cliffhanger – below the surface there is a Robocop-style cutting-edge satire about corporate greed and the climate change emergency.

I don't think they're unaware that fracking is bad.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool. Wish it wasn't PSVR exclusive though. Going to wait until PSVR2 to play it if it doesn't come anywhere else prior.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
EXCLUSIVE?

God damnit.

I mean, I loved my PSVR but I've moved on to a Quest 2.

I can't deal with the constant ambient head movement because of bad tracking on the PSVR any more.

Hopefully the exclusivity is just 3 months :)

Last edited:

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Ummm, fracking? Is that necessary?

I mean the game looks cool but, you know?
The impression I got is that you're murdering interdimensional frackers (fracking workers).

I mean it could be the other way, that you're a fracking worker disturbed by the enemies, but I read it as the former.
Yeah. It says you are at a fracking station and then interdimensional people show up called frackers. They don't say if you are a fracker or against it. I am curious where teh bait & switch/story is going with this.

This trailer does make it seem like you are visiting an abandoned station and are just killing frackers. Am I seeing that right?
What's wrong with 'fracking'?

I am 100 percent sure it's not that deep and just a play on Fucked.

Exhibit A:
  • We can assure you that it is a complete coincidence that the name sounds a lot like a popular/unpopular profanity.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
PS5 enhancements sound nice and I wonder how good they can get the image quality. Not sure if it's a enough to make me pull out the old PSVR but this is interesting.

Keeping an eye on this, skiing sounds fun.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Looks great! My VR space for my PSVR is more limited than my space for my my Quest, but I'll still probably grab this.

*Until our exclusivity period is up and it comes out on other VR platforms

I just shake my head over statements like these. How could you seriously say something stupid as that? :D They could rephrase it or something but nope, they were able to create this game just because of existence of 11 years old hardware lol.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Skiing in VR. I'm surprised that no one came up with this before, it makes perfect sense.

I wonder how they're doing the actual movement with the move controllers seeing as there are no joysticks.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
*Until our exclusivity period is up and it comes out on other VR platforms

I just shake my head over statements like these. How could you seriously say something stupid as that? :D They could rephrase it or something but nope, they were able to create this game just because of existence of 11 years old hardware lol.

They are saying : you can´t play this with your Dualschock 4.
I don´t think it´s hard understand...I mean it´s pretty obvious :

We couldn't do this using a traditional gamepad.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR2 can't come soon enough. Looks great and gives huge Blood & Truth vibes quality-wise.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think this was more to say it needs moves/motion control and won't work on a gamepad. Not that it only works with moves.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I think this was more to say it needs moves/motion control and won't work on a gamepad. Not that it only works with moves.

That would give more sense but still... isnt it pretty obvious? Action vr games in this style are unplayable with gamepad. Its like Beat Games saying that they wouldnt be able to create Beat Saber for Gamepad lol.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to reviews, but it seems pretty solid so far.

I'm definitely loving this trend of PSVR games getting enhancements on PS5. The difference has been night and day for me with a lot of PSVR experiences so far, especially Dreams.