• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's definitely become a vintage console for me. Like that old classic you keep in the garage: great to look at, wonderful to touch, and a joy to take around the block once every blue moon, but that's about it.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
We have this thread every two weeks and I love it because the PS Vita deserves all the love. It also deserves the criticisms, but it's a gem, and somehow the fact that it failed makes me love it even more. I love my Switch, but I spent way more hours on the Vita. P4G, FF8, FF10, FF7, Xenogears, Gravity Rush, Undertale, Windjammers, Towerfall, SSX On Tour, Star Ocean on SNES (Star Ocean on handheld is a DREAM come true), Muramasa, Rayman Origins, Rayman Legends... Many ports / PSP / PS1 / retro games but honestly, I don't care. The SNES has never been so beautiful, PS1 games have never been so pristine, and the Vita is a joy to handle. The Switch is the better console, but the PS Vita has my better love.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Still want one. I've been primarily a handheld gamer for years now -- still loving on my 3DS -- but it's just a matter of budget. Eventually, though, I hope to add a Vita to my home. Until then, I'll just keep on playing Tactics Ogre on my PSP. :P

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
I like the Vita hardware quite a lot. The lack of additional shoulder buttons or clickable sticks hurt it a little, mostly in terms of playing ports. That rear touch panel is abysmal and a horrific replacement for actual shoulder buttons. But for most games built for the Vita, it's a strong handheld.

The library is hit or miss though. There are some really good games, and as a handheld gamer, it was nice to have the choice to play something like Sonic Racing Transformed on the Vita. But there are very few exclusives and I find most of them, the ones you get in a bloated list from Vita diehards as reasons to own the machine, are usually mediocre or taste dependent at best, pretty bad at worst. I find it hilarious when a Vita stalwart claims "the Vita isn't dead yet!" whenever the latest tepid weeb otome game comes out. These are bad games, and it is dead. Sorry.

The true travesty is storage, which is STILL outrageously priced and meager. Absolutely terrible to have to micromanage my game library so often. Backing up to a computer is wildly unintuitive too. The whole thing is a hideous mess, and I hate it.

Can't say I haven't had fun with it though. A quality handheld with a fine selection of games you could play elsewhere, but hey, they're portable, which is undeniably nice for someone like me. Just can't stock up on too many of those games lest your memory card at $5 a gigabyte fills up instantly.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If you are into emulation sure. I think where it comes into the hate or apathy is the comparison to nintendo games which people do often and it is odd. Whatever the nintendo consoles have do not detract the amount of quality titles the Vita has. And when talking about quality you can point to reviews as a metric. But then again there is also a subjective measure here, in which Nintendo consoles tend to be less impressive to those people who no longer care about many nintendo franchises. If you do though, then nintendo consoles become some of the best around in a personal opinion state, but what is interesting is the amount of gamers that turn aroud and use it as a comparison tool to dismiss other console. It happened during PSP era as well.
Even without Nintendo's own games, DS, 3DS and Switch all still have incredibly diverse and deep libraries. The negative comparison isn't just about how much someone likes Nintendo, those systems had arguably superior 3rd party libraries too. Switch especially, I mean it has over 3,300 games.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
The dpad and form factor makes it a better platformer/metroidvania device than the Switch. Some games have cross save with the PS4 which is great

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
If you could put all the good things from the Vita into the Switch, WOW. I Honestly love my Vita more than the Switch at times.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It was my go to console for on the go gaming circa 2013-early 2015. Eventually the 3DS library supplanted it.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Trophies on the go, sign me up! It does have some fantastic titles, too. Been playing the hell out of Dragon Quest Builders on it lately.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Sony should've added native Bluetooth controller support at least for PS4 and PS3 controllers. It is an enjoyable system to use though.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
are usually mediocre or taste dependent at best, pretty bad at worst
Exactly my thoughts when I made my way through a few Best Of Vita RPGs lists last week, trying to see whether there's still something I've missed and what may be worth picking up.

Some games on those lists I've tried already and would argue that many of them were really mediocre and/or reeeally meant for a certain target group/niche. I'd say that those games often only make it onto those lists because of the general enthusiasm Vita owners definitely have for the platform and its experiences.
To someone who's less invested overall in the platform, those listed games aren't really all that attractive, though. I'm personally also not really surprised to see many people asking for what they should play after Persona 4 Golden on the Vita - I was at that point as well and haven't really found anything else being as worthwhile as it was (that is, if you're looking for similar JRPG experiences - P3P notwithstanding and ToCS e.g. not really doing it for me).

The software library might be quite diverse in quantity, but not really on a high quality level to be quite frank. At least in my eyes.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problems with the hardware, I just didn't get the same satisfaction out of the game library as I did with the PSP or any Nintendo handheld. The games you play on a system will always be the most important thing about it.

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
The worst thing about the Vita is that it spoiled me with its D-Pad.

You are not the first one who says that. Interesting.

Tbh, i like d-pad on psp (later models, of course - fat psp had horrible one) more, especially for fighting games - i can do those circle motions there, but struggle with them on vita

That's the key, though. For my tastes, both psp and vita have amazing libraries while for others it's like you explained ("few picks that you like among other stuff that seem mediocre for you"). There is no consensus, everyone has their own story. :)

It's not a handheld that will appeal to everyone's tastes, but it's certainly a great experience for those that love i

Agreed, well said.

Last edited:

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
That's the key, though. For my tastes, both psp and vita have amazing libraries while for others it's like you explained ("few picks that you like among other stuff that seem mediocre for you"). There is no consensus, everyone has their own story. :)

Well, I don't want to get caught in this trap of "everyone has an opinions and their own tastes!!!" kind of thinking personally. It's true, and it's fine and I'm glad you've enjoyed the Vita and PSP (I have as well actually and I'm not trying to take that from you either), but it's also a boring ejector seat from a discussion about a system that really did struggle to define itself through its library in a way few modern systems have. I feel like that's undeniable, even if you enjoyed what it did.

Someone else quoted my post and used the word "niche" and that's mostly what I'm getting at. You can speak to a niche, and be successful with that niche, but that tempers what I think of as an "amazing console" as the thread suggests. I mean, there are 3DO enthusiasts too.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
i loved it, but just like PSP lacked second analog stick, Vita lacked dual triggers (L2 R2) , and maybe , don't remmeber, clickeable analog sticks? that was a pitty when receiving ports from PS3. You can somehow deal with les raw power, but is difficult to overcome lack of input methods.
It also lacked TV out (something psp could do), doing that and allowin to pair it with DS3 would've been amazing too. For example two player games on same console.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Totally disagree.

Only two shoulder buttons. Back panel thing is a useless piece of utter shit. Sticks are awful. Face buttons are too small and uncomfortable. The memory card system and prices were so unbelievably bad that I seriously can't fathom how it even passed an initial meeting.

The library is okay at best. And all the best games on the system can be played elsewhere without putting up with all the nonsense of using the Vita.

Sony's complete lack of support is a big reason it failed, but so is the fact that they made it as undesirable as possible. Biggest regret of a gaming purchase.

Killzone Mercenaries is an awesome game and shouldn't be stuck in that purgatory.
this is accurate...
Also it took about 10 hours to fully charge yesterday AND 3 of those hours it wouldn't even turn on

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
And i don't feel good when somebody creates a thread about appreciation of something but you always have people who come to say their "meh" in it...
Mate I bought the Vita day one. Like, the overpriced and useless 3G version you could only get on day one. I own the entire launch library. I have over 100 games for it. I LIKE the Vita, and have said so what is now all three times I've posted in this thread. If your takeaway from all I've written is "meh," I don't know what to tell you.

The Vita is a complicated system. I like talking about it, not because it's amazing, but because of that complication. It's interesting. But sure, you're right, I'm not giving it a handy under the bleachers and I'm sorry that doesn't make you feel good.

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
Mate I bought the Vita day one. Like, the overpriced and useless 3G version you could only get on day one. I own the entire launch library. I have over 100 games for it. I LIKE the Vita, and have said so what is now all three times I've posted in this thread. If your takeaway from all I've written is "meh," I don't know what to tell you.

The Vita is a complicated system. I like talking about it, not because it's amazing, but because of that complication. It's interesting. But sure, you're right, I'm not giving it a handy under the bleachers and I'm sorry that doesn't make you feel good.

I m not directed that at you, but on how people act on forums. Very often, once someone opens a thread to speak about something they love, you have many intruders who stop by to talk about what they dont like instead. Sometimes even eradicating thread purpose completely.

Sorry if it felt like i mean your posts, i didnt focus specifically.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the vita. You rarely see someone who actually had the console saying that they disliked it.

I really enjoy my switch but I certainly don't have the same enthusiasm for it as I had for vita in it's heyday.

Fuck proprietary memory though. Of all the things that doomed it, I would definitely say that is number one.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Love the Vita. Hacked mine recently and use it daily to play retro games. The ergonomics just feel so good, the only thing I would change is swap the useless back touch for L2/R2. I like the Switch too, but that makes my hands cramp up like no other, the controllers are just too square imo.

I'll admit the Vita library has gaps, but there's more than enough for me to ever play and now with SNES, GBA, Genesis, etc., I'm set for years.

this is accurate...
Also it took about 10 hours to fully charge yesterday AND 3 of those hours it wouldn't even turn on
I think there might be something wrong with your Vita... that doesn't sound normal.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
I m not directed that at you, but on how people act on forums. Very often, once someone opens a thread to speak about something they love, you have many intruders who stop by to talk about what they dont like instead. Sometimes even eradicating thread purpose completely.

Sorry if it felt like i mean your posts, i didnt focus specifically.
Fair enough, I understand. Sorry if I pounced on you too quickly. I felt a bit defensive for a moment there.

I don't think raining on people's parades is a nice thing to do (and I certainly didn't aim to spoil anyone's fun with my posts) but I guess you can't make a thread like this and expect only replies that only agree with the premise, especially when it comes to something like the Vita.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Love the Vita. Hacked mine recently and use it daily to play retro games. The ergonomics just feel so good, the only thing I would change is swap the useless back touch for L2/R2. I like the Switch too, but that makes my hands cramp up like no other, the controllers are just too square imo.

I'll admit the Vita library has gaps, but there's more than enough for me to ever play and now with SNES, GBA, Genesis, etc., I'm set for years.

I think there might be something wrong with your Vita... that doesn't sound normal.
could be... I got it from my cousin so I never knew it when it was young... course I don't use it regularly so every time I plug it in it's battery is beyond dead and won't even turn on for HOURS

Zool

Oct 28, 2017

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly the Switch doesn't even feel like it's a generation ahead. The Vita feels like a Switch lite to me. It was so ahead of its time when it released.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
So I just bought a Vita 1000 off eBay. Besides game suggestions (which are also welcome) is there anything important I should know about the portable itself? Tips to get the most out of it?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
So I just bought a Vita 1000 off eBay. Besides game suggestions (which are also welcome) is there anything important I should know about the portable itself? Tips to get the most out of it?

Is it a wifi unit or a 3G unit? If it's a 3G unit you can get a PSVSD to replace the 3G modem for a microSD card slot. If it's a regular wifi unit you can still use SD2Vita for microSD support in the game card slot.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so the Vita I ordered came in (yay!) and I was able to downgrade the firmware and install Henkaku. Right now I'm using a 8gb proprietary memory card, but I'm looking in to acquiring an sd2vita with a compatible SD card. How would I go about the process of transferring everything over?

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Today The FLOW has been able to create an Adrenaline (PSP emulator on the vita) plugin that allows you to run PSP games at Vita's native resolution!

It can be found here:
https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/GePatch/blob/master/README.md
There's also already a list made with the compatibility of many PSP games: List

Really amazing stuff and thought it would be worth a share.

Last edited:

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If Sony just used regular MicroSD, and that Call of Duty game was actually good, Vita could've gone much differently.

I think people forget that 3DS was also struggling early in its life, and Nintendo pretty much sacrificed the WiiU to focus on strong first party 3DS content. Sony wasn't willing to do the same to save the Vita.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017