• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
I honestly don't see how any can prefer it to the Switch. The Switch has big boy third parties (Bethsada, CD Projekt, SNK, Square Enix). It's not perfect obviously. Missing EA and others. But then you add Nintendo's first-party and a very healthy indie scene. It has 4 shoulder buttons, bigger screens, and so on.
Joy-Con drift is a huge detractor in my eyes. My playtime on Switch now exceeds my playtime on Vita (which was already a large amount), but it's pretty much always been spent in docked mode due to how badly the sticks degrade over time. I was very much so ready to use my Switch in a similar manner to the Vita or 3DS, but it really isn't feasible unless you want to be constantly maintaining your Joy-Cons.

It is exaggerated, but so is the post you responded too. Saying 1600 games as if they're all 100% quality titles, is disingenuous at best. The issue with the Vita is that it doesn't have the quality of library that Nintendo Switch has (or the 3DS for that matter), so it's not going to appeal to a wide audience. In fact, a lot of the Vita releases in recent years before discontinuation were either indies, anime games, or ports.
Yeah, this is kind of where I'm at. I loved my Vita and I spent a lot of time with it, but a lot of my time was spent with games that were essentially either ports, indies or PS1 and PSP games. There were good original titles in the native Vita library like Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta and Gravity Rush, but the dearth of original games runs dry pretty quick if that's what you're looking for and you already happened to own a PSP in the past (which I didn't). In hindsight, it was really great at introducing me to things I never had an interest in before like Shin Megami Tensei, Ninja Gaiden, Binding of Isaac, Geometry Wars and Earth Defense Force more than anything else.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
VN was probably my favorite way to play VNs period.

Was kinda bummed when some of the ps vita/ps4 titles were only localized for ps4.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a handheld that will appeal to everyone's tastes, but it's certainly a great experience for those that love it. It definitely proved near home console level games on the go can be done. Now that's pretty much a reality with today's tech.

It's a great trail blazer for what would eventually come.

An official successor would be exciting to see.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
It's only great if you hack it to free it from the artificial limitations Sony placed on it, most importantly the proprietary memory cards.

Then it can be great.

Also helps to have a pricey Hori grip to turn the back touchpad into actual human-useable buttons.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
It is exaggerated, but so is the post you responded too. Saying 1600 games as if they're all 100% quality titles, is disingenuous at best. The issue with the Vita is that it doesn't have the quality of library that Nintendo Switch has (or the 3DS for that matter), so it's not going to appeal to a wide audience. In fact, a lot of the Vita releases in recent years before discontinuation were either indies, anime games, or ports.

I love my vita but even I admit that I wish it had better ergonomics or that Sony had better quality games for it.

But I didn't say that. It's Disingenuous to say I did. I am sure no console has 100 percent awesome library, but we are talking about many of the hits from literally three different consoles that you can play natively. That is not a small amount. Again there are more games I wish I could carry around that could fit on the largest memory card I got for Vita. There must be alot of hate or apathy for many genre's or PSP/PS1 game if you are going to portray the Vita as a device that wasn't worth it.

Yeah, this is kind of where I'm at. I loved my Vita and I spent a lot of time with it, but a lot of my time was spent with games that were essentially either ports, indies or PS1 and PSP games. There were good original titles in the native Vita library like Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta and Gravity Rush, but the dearth of original games runs dry pretty quick if that's what you're looking for and you already happened to own a PSP in the past (which I didn't). In hindsight, it was really great at introducing me to things I never had an interest in before like Shin Megami Tensei, Ninja Gaiden, Binding of Isaac, Geometry Wars and Earth Defense Force more than anything else.

I can agree with this. My must haves for Vita only that are unique are only about 10-15 titles. The rest are PS2 remasters, PS1 titles or PSP games. But for a console I only play on the go. I really did not need it to match a home console, so there are still titles I have not played yet. But it's not like I am going to ignore my home consoles/PC to play the Vita at home. I eventually sold my switch because I actually preferred it docked over mobile and ended up not playing it much after finishing a handful of titles.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I wish I could agree. The Vita is one of my biggest gaming disappointments.

I found the exclusive library to be hugely lacking and it felt like Sony themselves abandoned the damn thing immediately after launch.

It's a shame because I loved the PSP and the Vita hardware itself is fantastic.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a great console - underrated but fantastic, and SO comfortable and fun to use. I love mine and use it pretty frequently, and the amount of games I want to get through is still quite long - Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2, Persona 4 Golden, Tearaway, God Wars: Future Past, Final Fantasy X and X-2, Papers Please...

I'm still considering buying a second one as a backup.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Good for you OP. I'm actually in the market for a used Vita but I'm not sure where to purchase it. Last handheld I bought was a 3DS XL which I got for $150 at Book-off store in NYC and I was actually considering going there for the vita. Is there any better option? Amazon marketplace? Gamestop? I sure as hell don't wanna deal with Ebay nor FB marketplace or craigslist.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I'd enjoy my launch Vita more if my 32GB would stop getting corrupted every other game. Currently collecting dust because of that annoyance.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
i didn't play it often, but i liked playing it when i did.

With the switch i feel like i have to fight through the shit joycons to get to the game.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I actually wish I could agree here. I thought the device itself was excellent but I just can't help but feel that the proprietary memory cards ruined its potential and also any interest from me in terms of getting more games on it.

I loved the PSP way more than the DS and the 3DS ironically managed to fill the void of console-like games on the go, despite its droughts that many don't speak of. The Vita's console-like experiences apart from a few stand-out's were lackluster. Even the good ones like Uncharted just made me feel like I should go play the trilogy on the PS3 instead. Killzone Mercenary and Little Big Planet felt like the only true exceptions here.

Yes, if you love indie games, it's a great machine. However the PSP and Vita were meant for the console gaming on the go from my perspective, and it's sad how it died. The 3DS definitely kept handheld gaming alive for a bit longer for me, and eventually the Switch just covered both grounds fairly decently.

Hopefully Sony learned from this and just focuses on console and streaming going forward. No point in wasting resources on handheld gaming if they aren't going to treat as an equal to their other services instead of a forgotten thought.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I have the 1000 and and a first generation Switch with one of those Japan Display panels to compare and they aren't even in the same stratosphere.

"Dat OLED" was better than what the 3DS' came with, but it wasn't even all that great compared to LCDs from 2012 and it's straight trash compared to modern displays like in the Switch. The insane Mura effect by itself should disqualify the screen from being considered good.

Nah have both too, the OLED is much more vibrant. "not in the same stratosphere"..haha.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I hope you enjoy, OP. The Vita is such a great portable console - my beloved JRPG machine!

The D-pad is excellent, too. To get the Golden Finger trophy in Persona 5, I had to use remote play with the Vita because the D-pad on the Dualshock 4 wasn't as good at registering the quick inputs.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking for a Vita right now on ebay because of this and another thread. Do I go OLED or slim? I found an OLED model in a blue shell that I really like but I'm concerned about it being a time bomb. Thoughts?

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Recently started using the Vita again due to Zero no Kiseki Evo.
It's hard to believe my OG Vita's still have all the buttons and sticks working perfectly after thousands of hours playtime.... the fucking Nintendo Switch, while I love the games and all, have the joycon drift for my THIRD set within the span of 2 years.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm looking for a Vita right now on ebay because of this and another thread. Do I go OLED or slim? I found an OLED model in a blue shell that I really like but I'm concerned about it being a time bomb. Thoughts?

Depends on the price I would say just get it, you can always get a 2000 version for back up later :P.

Oct 26, 2017
But I didn't say that. It's Disingenuous to say I did. I am sure no console has 100 percent awesome library, but we are talking about many of the hits from literally three different consoles that you can play natively. That is not a small amount. Again there are more games I wish I could carry around that could fit on the largest memory card I got for Vita. There must be alot of hate or apathy for many genre's or PSP/PS1 game if you are going to portray the Vita as a device that wasn't worth it.

I didn't say you did. I said the other person did. It's why I worded the sentence as:
"It is exaggerated, but so is the post you responded too. Saying 1600 games as if they're all 100% quality titles, is disingenuous at best. "
I made an error where I meant "to" rather than "too"

Also, I don't really understand why you assume I have hate or apathy for many genres or PSP/PS1 games. I even explained that the Vita has issues where the genres of late games may not appeal to everyone. With the latter, you could get high quality emulation devices that can play PSP games at higher resolution (admittedly, it looks like garbage on the Vita screen), with the former, you run into issues where people don't really care as much about the library when compared to other handhelds (or even consoles for that matter).

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was a shame how much they tried to focus on the mobile plan versions and not ensuring enough software support. It's control scheme was also not the greatest for ports and remote play. Serviceable, but barely IMO.

That burn in too on the OLED was horrible. Barely played Golden Abyss before some Vista decided to take permanent residence.

Still love it though. Good little playback system for PS1 titles and Persona 4 Golden is one of the best matchups.

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
What weird timing for this thread...I literally turned on my vita for the first time in about 3 years lol. I loved the device and it deserved better than what Sony was giving it. Damn shame.

OP
OP
starblue

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
I tried the Tearaway today and OMG is way different than the PS4 version. I really love how the game uses the PS Vita features (also I got surprised when the frontal camera turned on lol). I agree with people complaining about the Memory Card, and some button (specially the L1 and R1) but even with all those mistakes I think it's incredible what the PS Vita offers. I wish lot of the features were available on the Switch, which is the "PS VITA 2" and my main handheld console.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It's a great console. But the lack of proper L2 and R2 is one of the reason it died.
I honestly don't think it would have made a difference. The software killed it among the casual crowd, plain and simple. It could have had cheap memory cards, L2/R2, etc, and we would have loved it, but the casual buyer(and more importantly, kids) would have still completely ignored it.

I think the expensive proprietary media is the only reason it lasted as long as it did.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I've never owned an actual Vita, only the Vita TV, and it's still up there as one of my favorite systems. A lot of its games have now been ported but I still have a massive backlog on the thing. And that's without even talking about PSP or PS1 games. Still working on Oreshika and platinuming the persona dancing games.

Still amazing to me that this thing has probably the most responsive system UI, up there with the Switch, and it has all the bubble and livearea stuff going on. Checking my trophies on the Vita is way more enjoyable than doing it on my PS4 just because it doesn't take ages.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Get an sd2vita, brother.

Your comment inspired me to pull out my Vita and I realized two things:

1. It's my 64GB card that kept getting corrupted, which I spent $100+ on
2. I apparently did install a SD2Vita in my system! I barely remembering doing so, but my email says I ordered one in May. I'm charging my Vita from dead right now to see what I did. Most likely I ended up spending hours setting everything up and then forgetting about it all by going back to my Switch.

What a wild ride.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I still use mine. I just finished Grandia on it. I bought this thing 8 years ago, and the battery is still really great. 8 years!

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of resolution, you are damn sure that Oled screen is better.
Nah have both too, the OLED is much more vibrant. "not in the same stratosphere"..haha.
The only area where the display is better is in contrast, because that's what OLED screens are inherently better at. And even then the screen has terrible Mura splotches.

It's "much more vibrant" because it's literally bad at colour accuracy in the way old OLEDs used to be. Things aren't supposed to look like that. It has an extremely blue white point and is overall really dimm.

I'll come back to you with the old digitalversus review that got taken down that had some handy graphs to explain why it's bad.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
I tried the Tearaway today and OMG is way different than the PS4 version. I really love how the game uses the PS Vita features (also I got surprised when the frontal camera turned on lol). I agree with people complaining about the Memory Card, and some button (specially the L1 and R1) but even with all those mistakes I think it's incredible what the PS Vita offers. I wish lot of the features were available on the Switch, which is the "PS VITA 2" and my main handheld console.

To this day, Tearaway remains my favourite handheld gaming experience. That game is a treasure.

I also recommend grabbing Hohokum and Proteus on Vita too. They're available on other platforms, but the Vita experience elevates them to another level.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I've become somewhat apathetic towards my Vita over time. I still love the design (especially for slower games like RPGs or for 2D games), but aside from Persona 4 Golden (one of my GOATs) and Soul Sacrifice [Delta] (very good game) and Persona 3 Portable (PSP game) there simply ain't that much in terms of games I can't get on my Switch by now.

The Digimon Cyber Sleuth games, Dragon Quest Builders, World of Final Fantasy, YS VIII, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, heck, even a lot of the Visual Novels are on Switch by now, which also offers a more enjoyable first party library to me + most of the Indies that once released on the Vita.

Long story short - the Vita has pretty much become my portable Persona machine. I still adore it for that alone, but if you'd ask me whether to get a 3DS or Vita (or Switch for that matter), I'd always suggest getting the Nintendo handhelds for the more well rounded library and bigger high quality games thanks to Nintendo published games (all in my opinion, of course).

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
P4G is the only reason I sometimes flirt with the idea of getting a Vita but I cannot justify buying a system to just play one game.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
My favourite handheld design, one of my favourite portable console.
I still have some games to finish on it, but soon it will be used only for older games... :(

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I mostly used mine for PSOne/PSP games- it's been my FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre device for a while now. Still my favourite handheld hardware though, it was just the right size and with a great d-pad, even if I thought the way the back touch-screen was used in some games to make up for a lack of shoulder buttons just didn't work. I disabled that where I could- I remember while playing Ys MoC on it, it was used for changing party formations and was just really annoying.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
It is.
Actually sold mine yesterday because otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford any of the games I want to buy in March and April.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I own 2. The original OLED unit and the Slim. I just wish it got more support. Even the issues with the whitelist is just bizarre.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It was really nice. It could have done with a better UI, shedding a load of features, removing that touch back and going for double triggers, and the DANG memory card situ - but outside of that it was really nice. The construction felt nice, the look and feel of the thing too.

Gravity Rush was the 2nd ever game I platinum'd, I really miss that game.

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
Until the last few weeks my Vita has basically sat in my draw on and off since 2012. But since then I've kind of become obsessed with it all over again. I've got a launch model that's still in immaculate condition and the battery appears to be fine thankfully. I've been playing a ton of Persona and FF Tactics WotL. The colours really pop on that OLED. I've stocked up on some older PSP/PS1 titles on the PSN store and am contemplating a bigger memory card. I find the OS to be smoother and slicker than the PS4 and the overall experience to be utterly brilliant. This is from someone who spent a megaton of hours on my original phat PSP between around 2005 - 2011 while I was studying at Uni. The timing of the Vita was just off for me. I had kids and gaming took a backseat.

The only negative is that I haven't been able to get a decent remote play experience happening in my house. It's always stuttering or dropping out and I'm not running an ethernet cable behind my wall just to try and improve it.

Seriously Sony. Thanks to the Switch the opportunity is now there for another bite of the apple. Come out with a PSP 2 with improved wi fi and remote play intergration with the PS5 , have it take standard memory cards and don't skimp on the screen. Personally, I don't need my handhelds to be a stripped down version of a console. A few cross platform games would be fine but the drive to have full console versions of major titles seems misguided and expensive. Hindsight is 20/20.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say you did. I said the other person did. It's why I worded the sentence as:
"It is exaggerated, but so is the post you responded too. Saying 1600 games as if they're all 100% quality titles, is disingenuous at best. "
I made an error where I meant "to" rather than "too"

But the original post didn't say that either. He mentioned amount of games then stated "I think it has a looooot of good games. " That is not even remotely the same as saying all the games are good.

Also, I don't really understand why you assume I have hate or apathy for many genres or PSP/PS1 games. I even explained that the Vita has issues where the genres of late games may not appeal to everyone. With the latter, you could get high quality emulation devices that can play PSP games at higher resolution (admittedly, it looks like garbage on the Vita screen), with the former, you run into issues where people don't really care as much about the library when compared to other handhelds (or even consoles for that matter).

If you are into emulation sure. I think where it comes into the hate or apathy is the comparison to nintendo games which people do often and it is odd. Whatever the nintendo consoles have do not detract the amount of quality titles the Vita has. And when talking about quality you can point to reviews as a metric. But then again there is also a subjective measure here, in which Nintendo consoles tend to be less impressive to those people who no longer care about many nintendo franchises. If you do though, then nintendo consoles become some of the best around in a personal opinion state, but what is interesting is the amount of gamers that turn aroud and use it as a comparison tool to dismiss other console. It happened during PSP era as well.