• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pure

Jun 18, 2019
Germany
IIRC the tech specs of the PS5 said it had no CD laser, just BD/DVD laz0rz. Not sure tho!
Nah, both PS4 and PS5s are missing the laser size to play normal CDs. Probably because they would still need to pay Phillips a patent fee for every console sold
After reading your replies I'm not too sure anymore. I remember reading somewhere that technically the drive had all lasers, but a quick google search turned up nothing. I guess I was wrong, sorry :D

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent news. Now work on bringing these games forward to next gen hardware. This is only a temporary extension and one day these storefronts will still close. So many PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita games cannot be bought on active devices. If these games are put on modern hardware then this is less of a deal.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
This almost sounds like everytime there's a shooting in America. They threaten to enact tighter and tougher gun control laws and legislation and people run out and are going crazy trying to buy up every gun.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
what?

These two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other. What's with this forum's obsession with injecting Game Pass into every topic even when irrelevant?

I do enjoy the mental image of Jim sitting in his office saying "we need a competitor service for this Game Pass business... let's announce the closure of our PS3 and Vita stores and then walk it back a few weeks later" and a bunch of interns just too terrified to ask what the fuck he's talking about

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic news. Between this and the Xbox Live price increase stopped before, it's great to see consumer outrage winning out.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is a good about-face. Does PSP going offline mean that PSP content on the Vita store will no longer be available for purchase, though?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So what is next on the docket?

• Reverse Japan Studio closure/restructure to Team ASOBI! ?
  • Reverse SIE Bend Studios relegation to Naughty Dog support studio?
  • Find a fix for the CMOS issues?
  • Get promised features to PS5?
CMOS is the biggest one for me. This shouldn't even be a thing.

pure

Jun 18, 2019
Germany
Well, they aren't LISTED in the specs.
If they're just disabled or unused, then no point to list them.

But I want to see a teardown to fully accept it.
A teardown doesn't help much, because you can't really see the different lasers.
Or maybe someone can ?
This is an PS4 drive assembly:
81iGdj3lntL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Really happy to know Sony is willing to budge on decisions when there's outcry. I really didn't think they'd change their minds.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Oh shit... The shouting and media coverage worked!!! Wow. So yeah, keep complaining folks, even if its your "favorite Corporation"!

Wow, great news!

And yeah, remember this next time people complain about something they care about. Making your voice heard equals results that are better from everyone. Nobody loses here.

Exactly. Get enough people heard and bad PR outweighs the cost a lot of times for these corporations.

As an aside, wonder what this is going to do to used PS1, PS2 and PS3 game market :).

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose this means PS1 games will continue to be sold as well, since they are only available to download on PS3 and Vita?

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
The next step is to work on getting these games to work on the PS5 that way you can eventually purchase on the current store and then you can shut down the old store.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
what?

These two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other. What's with this forum's obsession with injecting Game Pass into every topic even when irrelevant?

i edited my post like two seconds after i posted it, as it was irrelevant. (you were very fast) But Sony has some work to do to win a lot of people back after a pretty brutal month. I'm not necessarily sure fixing self-inflicted wounds is all they should be doing

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Thank fucking goodness!

It really needs to be emphasized that there are A LOT of games that would be prohibitively expensive to legally purchase if these stores weren't up.

These games need to be preserved.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
So people rushing in to buy games before it was too late made them think "oh shit, we can still make money with this ancient store that has an invisible Buy button"?

Nice.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
They'll look at the numbers again in a few years to find out people weren't buying PS3 and Vita games anymore.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Now if only they could make it so I can actually PLAY my PS1 games on my PS4/PS5...

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
I'm gonna be honest, with the initial Store shutdowns, i assumed that they were planning way bigger things - now that they backtrack from that, it seems like the store shutdowns were indeed not part of a bigger plan.

Either they did this whole store shutdown thing to see how high the interest would be - or they were really just going to shutdown it and call it a day, and Sony is being completely honest here. But i really do hope that Sony has at least plans to somehow revamp BC for games that already work (e.g. PS2 emulation). They could easily expand the PS2 collection and make some money out of it. I still don't understand why i am able to play PS1 games on the PS3, yet those same games are not available on the PS4/PS5.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Great news and good work to those who voiced their concerns. Corporate apologists are shook and look extra foolish now.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Legitimately surprised that they walked it back.

As for the PSP shutdown, does that mean that they're taking PSP stuff off of the store in general, or just the specitic storefront for it?

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
I'm glad that Sony made the right call on this one. It shouldn't have been in question to begin with, but it's a relief to know that these games won't disappear after all. At the very least, this is a wake-up call to the preservation crowd to start working on solutions to keep this stuff available before this decision is in question again.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
By the way, since a ton of PS3 games are 720p, or worse, I would recommend using an mClassic to play with them.
www.marseilleinc.com

mClassic

Marseille mClassic is the world’s first plug and play graphics card for game console. It creates stunning visuals. Marseille's Advanced algorithms analyze every pixel in real time to produce a sharp, beautifully balanced picture, with enhanced details and color clarity exactly as the game...
I got it to work around a bug on my X900H, but it makes a significant difference regardless.

OH SHIT! good looks my dude!!

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Corporations are not your friends.
Now they need to get the PS4 CMOS issue squared away because that's the next thing effecting the longevity of their hardware and software.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Now if only they could make it so I can actually PLAY my PS1 games on my PS4/PS5...
This right here is the biggest bullshit. There are so many amazing PS1 games that aren't being remastered because preservation procedures were so poor back then. Sure we get cool remakes like Spyro and Tony Hawks, but there are so many PS1 classics that are just being left behind.

It's a good thing Square Enix are doing a bang up job bringing their old games to modern devices, but it feels like we'll never get Vagrant Story or Parasite Eve.