• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Good first step.

Now go and
-Get a PS1-PS3 emulator out. Let our disc and digital purchases work. (PS1 discs may not work but oh well)
-Then work on migrating the PS3 Store into the modern PS Store.
-Get more PS2 classics to purchase digitally.
- Let all PS Now games be downloadable.
-Regularly add PS1-PS3 games into PS+

Sony then can literally market the PS5 as the most comprehensive console of all time with the greatest, most historic library ever.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Now, if they want to really step it up - add a "legacy" option to the webstore and let publishers/developers do sales.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
hooray-gif.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is fantastic news.

However, this is step 1 of a 3-step process.

Step #2: Fix PS2 Classics when they're played on PS5. The games are actually broken. Ape Escape 2 literally flashes constantly.

Step #3: Add backwards compatibility for PS3 games and PS1 Classics on PS5.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well then uhhhh thanks for doing this after I already dropped hundreds of dollars on my collections lol? Tbf I should've bought them years ago but it kinda bites 😂

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
They got too much bad press the last 2 weeks they had to get a turnaround somewhere. Don't think this would have happed if the Days Gone thing would have happened.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if even a single Vita dev stays after this debacle, I'm legit shocked...

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
And this shows this wasn't a bubble problem either or whatever people were talking about.

If they will listen to issues like this they will listen to other issues we collectively address.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm super happy that the PS3/Vita will live, but...

I've spent like $200 in retro games in the past week, could you all have announced this sooner? Lol

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, great news!

And yeah, remember this next time people complain about something they care about. Making your voice heard equals results that are better from everyone. Nobody loses here.

THIS!

and I big middle finger to all the people who took our concerns as "whining" and "I only play new games anyway"

Sony ain't out the dog house yet as they still have a viable way of preserving their legacy content.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Really good news. There is such a great library of games on these platforms and they need to be accessible.

Aug 14, 2020
This is the right call. I hope those smaller developers are actually able to get their games out in their own pace now and not worry about store closures.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Of course there's now the lack of "ability to focus more of our resources on newer devices." The PS5 store sucks. So pros and cons here?

I read this and I hear "the money we are losing keeping it open is less than what we are losing in negative messaging" rather than "for the gamers." Even if "losing" money in the stores running is opportunity cost Vs actual cost.

But end result is that people got what they wanted. So whatever works.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Now if only they would still have sales for the PS3 only titles... But that's not too important, great decision! Glad this whole mess made me check all of my PS3 blu-ray collection and realize that some of them were unreadable, so I contributed by getting digital copies of R&C: Tools of Desctruction and MGS 4.