• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
thumb.jpg

Recently, we notified players that PlayStation Store for PS3 and PS Vita devices was planned to end this summer.

Upon further reflection, however, it's clear that we made the wrong decision here. So today I'm happy to say that we will be keeping the PlayStation Store operational for PS3 and PS Vita devices. PSP commerce functionality will retire on July 2, 2021 as planned.

When we initially came to the decision to end purchasing support for PS3 and PS Vita, it was born out of a number of factors, including commerce support challenges for older devices and the ability for us to focus more of our resources on newer devices where a majority of our gamers are playing on. We see now that many of you are incredibly passionate about being able to continue purchasing classic games on PS3 and PS Vita for the foreseeable future, so I'm glad we were able to find a solution to continue operations.

I'm glad that we can keep this piece of our history alive for gamers to enjoy, while we continue to create cutting-edge new game worlds for PS4, PS5, and the next generation of VR.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us – we're always listening and appreciate the support from our PlayStation community.

blog.playstation.com

PlayStation Store on PS3 and PS Vita Will Continue Operations

Players will be able to continue to purchase games on PS3 and PS Vita.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Jim :(

edit: wait Jim wrote that? who got into his account? doesn't he use two-factor?! I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
If anybody ever tells you that complaining does nothing, remember this.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Unnecessary that they had to do this but good decision.
When we initially came to the decision to end purchasing support for PS3 and PS Vita, it was born out of a number of factors, including commerce support challenges for older devices and the ability for us to focus more of our resources on newer devices where a majority of our gamers are playing on. We see now that many of you are incredibly passionate about being able to continue purchasing classic games on PS3 and PS Vita for the foreseeable future, so I'm glad we were able to find a solution to continue operations

Dec 21, 2017
User warned: Platform wars
Looks like MS is finally rubbing off on Sony. Glad MS leads by example and Sony is finally catching on.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'll be honest, I was hoping the pushback would force them to bring the classic stuff forward, rather than just leaving it on the old systems.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why they wouldn't. They literally still had to store the games on their servers for people who have already purchased them, so why take away the ability to make more money?

I'm glad they changed their mind here. This was a stupid move.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Good the internet complained. It really seemed like some people were tired of seeing the articles and complaints on Era.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Sony just made bank from all the panic sales...........makes sense they can keep the servers running a bit longer now lol

BlackBoyFly

Oct 12, 2020
Whew. This is why community wide pushback is good. Having Sony go back on this, like Xbox went back on the Gold increase is because people weren't just willing to accept things.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
It was all a plan to sell PS3 and Vita games quickly! Don't give in!

/s, but this is nice.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Good, we shouldn't have needed to come to this in the first place, but at least it shows that more people care than some Era users thinks.

Oct 28, 2017
This is awesome, and caused me to have a sensible chuckle.

I have literally been in my garage for like 3 nights, furiously downloading games on an old TV with my PS3 and updating them. I have started at my download list so long I see it in my sleep! All for nothing lol!

I appreciate everyone that has brought up an effective argument and fought to get this fixed. That is so awesome!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, great news!

And yeah, remember this next time people complain about something they care about. Making your voice heard equals results that are better from everyone. Nobody loses here.