• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Great growth for the service so far. It should become a strong pillar for them going into next gen.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
Really happy that this posturing seems to imply a continuation of PS Now and Remote Play into the next gen.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Lol remote play MAU up 2.5 times, with no numbers to clarify is such a great statistic

Oct 27, 2017
Better late than never on Remote Play, they should've released an app for iOS and non-Xperia android devices as soon as they made the mobile app.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I'd assume almost every subscription service saw a massive bump in March thanks to COVID-19.

Good number for PS Now.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plz improve remote play. It's ok but not great when f isn't 100% strength. Upgrade it to run nice in home wireless network and from outside and I don't need any cloud.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Considering the growth it's time for Sony to improve the backend, because according to them a few months ago the capacity is 5 million users for PS Now.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Remote play has been pretty awesome during lockdown.

I had a friend who doesn't own a PS4 set up remote play on his PC linking it to my PS4, and now he's playing Persona 5 Royal and I get to watch him play it on my TV while we chat.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Given how PS Now was not in a lot of big markets for Sony until March 2019 and it costed the absurd amount of 20$ a month until October, the growth is pretty good.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Solid numbers. I hope they invest more in the service next-gen.
Considering the growth it's time for Sony to improve the backend, because according to them a few months ago the capacity is 5 million users for PS Now.
Aren't Microsoft providing the infrastructure for this going forward? I wonder when they'll get PS5 hardware in the Azure data centers.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Remote play has been pretty awesome during lockdown.

I had a friend who doesn't own a PS4 set up remote play on his PC linking it to my PS4, and now he's playing Persona 5 Royal and I get to watch him play it on my TV while we chat.
That's actually really awesome. It's Share Play without the console.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
For a service that's only available in US, Japan and 17 Euro countries, that's not bad.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They need to expand at least the download option to more markets.
How would this work, because PS Now is known as a cloud streaming service and only offering downloadable games would decrease it's value in these countries.

I don't think hardcore gamers would have issues to separate them and know they aren't getting PS3 games. But what about the majority of gamers?
Solid numbers. I hope they invest more in the service next-gen.

Aren't Microsoft providing the infrastructure for this going forward? I wonder when they'll get PS5 hardware in the Azure data centers.
They are in talks. I think a deal is likely, considering the respective CEO talked about them talking about a partnership.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Good growth, weak numbers compared to gamepass.
Remote play numbers are great, hope MS finally releases a remote play app for iOS too.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I hope the growth will make them release a download only version on countries where they deem the Internet not fast enough.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I hope the growth will make them release a download only version on countries where they deem the Internet not fast enough.
I don't think that's the issue, because we know from Sony that only 5 million users are supported by their infrastructure as of now. That's more likely the issue and they need a partner.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Not bad numbers, I just subbed myself. Working overnights with not a ton going on sometimes means I've been digging into my backlog with PS Now. And I played like half of Nioh 2 using remote play. Would be nice to see them improve video quality in the future.
Particularly with PS Now it definitely needs some back-end upgrades and stuff. It's what happens when you're one of the first cloud gaming services on the market. With it being based on even earlier tech with Gaikai and OnLive and a lot of their games being PS3 titles, I can understand they have particularly difficult tech challenges to overcome

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that's the issue, because we know from Sony that only 5 million users are supported by their infrastructure as of now. That's more likely the issue and they need a partner.
They already have MS as a partner to use Azure. I guess it's just a matter how to transition it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Source for the 5 million capacity and their future plans.
sony-ps5-4-1024x575.jpg

They already have MS as a partner to use Azure. I guess it's just a matter how to transition it.
I think one of the challenges will be the PS3, because Sony hasn't developed a emulator as far as we know. This means PS3 hardware needs to be in every azure datacenter around the world imo or you limit how many users can access old games.

Last edited:

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
I imagine they will be announcing changes to PS Now this year. I believe their partnership with MS on Azure will allow them to increase the resolution to 1080p and to scale beyond that 5 million capacity number. This will be when they will aggressively expand the service and marketing, including new countries.

As for PS+, I believe we will also see changes here with new pricing structures and synergy with PS Now.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Just because comparisons to Game Pass and its 10 million sub figure are being drawn I figure I'll cross post from the other thread:

Keep in mind that Xbox's entire game plan lives and breathes on Game Pass going forward and they're positioning themselves accordingly. Playstation is not currently positioning themselves in the same way for PS Now and for now are maintaining a much more diverse business model.

It's also worth keeping in mind Xbox has been running a lot of sales for Game Pass and has been running a promotion to let Gold users convert to GPU for a dollar since E3 of last year. Now subscribers are completely separate subscribers paying full price for the service.

This isn't to downplay the achievements of Game Pass and its milestone of 10 million subscribers, but I think context is very important when comparing numbers and how they got there. There are a lot of factors that muddy the waters when trying to draw a direct comparison.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Those regions probably account for 80+% of their market, though.
For Sony there's a massive market outside of these regions. If they launch it in LatAm, Australia, ME and Asia, the numbers will skyrocket. Especially if they go with regional pricing like PS+ in some countries.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I imagine they will be announcing changes to PS Now this year. I believe their partnership with MS on Azure will allow them to increase the resolution to 1080p and to scale beyond that 5 million capacity number. This will be when they will aggressively expand the service and marketing, including new countries.

As for PS+, I believe we will also see changes here with new pricing structures and synergy with PS Now.

Yup, there are a ton of avenues for growth with this service and I imagine we'll start hearing about that at or around the PS5 reveal event.

I fully expect a new subscription tier to transition their 41+ million Plus subs over to a more expensive sub that includes Now.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Just because comparisons to Game Pass and its 10 million sub figure are being drawn I figure I'll cross post from the other thread:

Keep in mind that Xbox's entire game plan lives and breathes on Game Pass going forward and they're positioning themselves accordingly. Playstation is not currently positioning themselves in the same way for PS Now and for now are maintaining a much more diverse business model.

It's also worth keeping in mind Xbox has been running a lot of sales for Game Pass and has been running a promotion to let Gold users convert to GPU for a dollar since E3 of last year. Now subscribers are completely separate subscribers paying full price for the service.

This isn't to downplay the achievements of Game Pass and its milestone of 10 million subscribers, but I think context is very important when comparing numbers and how they got there. There are a lot of factors that muddy the waters when trying to draw a direct comparison.
But on the flipside, PS Now has a free trial for anyone, for 12 months it's almost half the price of even Game Pass standard (without Ultimate), and it includes streaming as part of that too. It's also been around a lot longer than Game Pass.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
But on the flipside, PS Now has a free trial for anyone, for 12 months it's almost half the price of even Game Pass standard (without Ultimate), and it includes streaming as part of that too. It's also been around a lot longer than Game Pass.

The people doing the free trial are not included in the 2.2 million figure.

Beyond that, there are indeed differences between the services that will affect their numbers. For example PS Now is only available in 19 countries right now. That adds to my point that there are a lot of subtleties to keep in mind when trying to draw direct comparisons.

Mar 11, 2019
Interesting mention of remote play, maybe PS5 in combination with streaming/cloud services will add additional features to or improve remote play.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017

Beyond that, there are indeed differences between the services that will affect their numbers. For example PS Now is only available in 19 countries right now. That adds to my point that there are a lot of subtleties to keep in mind when trying to draw direct comparisons.

I think his point about the free trial was more that since anybody can try it for free, you would think people who actually subscribed at the end of that trial would be higher.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The biggest improvement I'm looking forward to is the elimination of load times when using Now. PS5 hardware will make everything snappy and immediate, making it much more enticing to use.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think his point about the free trial was more that since anybody can try it for free, you would think people who actually subscribed at the end of that trial would be higher.

Possibly, but the service seeing a more than 100% growth in a year is a sign that it's going in the right direction. It's now up to them to basically relaunch the service with next gen as it's backbone with more countries, more devices, PS5 hardware in data centers and more games to grow it significantly more.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017

Good points. I believe part of the disappointment lies in Sony not using their first mover advantage after acquiring Gaikai. If you look at it in that frame, Sony took far too long to develop and mobilize PS Now.

At the same time, I don't believe Sony's first party portfolio would be where it's at now if Sony had gone all-in on cloud gaming back in 2012. For example, we might not have had an Insomniac acquisition and Sony may have had to change to a quantity over quality approach (think Game Pass filler games like Bleeding Edge)

Now PlayStation Studios is considered one of the premier publishing houses and almost single-handedly driving mind share for the PS5 even with minimal marketing. It would be hard to say Sony didn't focus on the right priorities this gen. Going back to PS Now, I don't think we will see Sony releasing their PSS games Day 1 on the service. What I can see is a continuation of offering their older first party games in rotation, and after a period (maybe 4 years) add them permanently to the collection. This is maximizing the selling period of individual games and leveraging their appeal in PS Now. It also introduces new players to the franchise, not unlike releasing Horizon on PC, which could lead to higher sales of new entries to those franchises on the PS5.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Good points. I believe part of the disappointment lies in Sony not using their first mover advantage after acquiring Gaikai. If you look at it in the frame, Sony took far too long to develop and mobilize PS Now.

At the same time, I don't believe Sony's first party portfolio would be where it's at now if Sony had gone all-in on cloud gaming back in 2012. For example, we might not have had an Insomniac acquisition and Sony may have had to change to a quantity over quality approach (think Game Pass filler games like Bleeding Edge)

Now PlayStation Studios is considered one of the premier publishing houses and almost single-handedly driving mind share for the PS5 even with minimal marketing. It would be hard to say Sony didn't focus on the right priorities this gen. Going back to PS Now, I don't think we will see Sony releasing their PSS games Day 1 on the service. What I can see is a continuation of offering their older first party games in rotation, and after a period (maybe 4 years) add them permanently to the collection. This is maximizing the selling period of individual game and leveraging their appeal in PS Now. It also introduces new players to the franchise, not unlike releasing Horizon on PC, which could lead to higher sales of new entries to those franchises on the PS5.

I think some games will launch day 1, but ones that make sense like multiplayer titles, smaller titles and indies.

I would like to see them also make it more like Stadia where you can play your PSN purchased games via Now as long as you're subscribed. Add value in different ways to give people multiple reasons to sub.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Xbox is insignificant outside of the Anglosphere. I highly doubt they're getting any significant chunk of that additional ~8m subscribers from outside of those 19 countries where PS Now is available.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Great, Cloud gaming is a seamless option, will improve content availability and possibility to experience PS exclusives without the console.