• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FF7R with the free PS5 update in June, best month for PS+ in years

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The game is $30 on Amazon now. They can buy that and upgrade it for free. The entitlement is strong here.

Doesn't work if you have a Digital console. Just a dumb way to throw away money - you announce an update and paid DLC tied to PS5, then increase the addressable market by giving the PS4 game away to the entire PS+ community. But then make that group unaddressable for no obvious reason. You've had your primary sales from the game for a year. You aren't losing money by letting them have the upgrade for free. Heck, charge $10 like Activision. Also means all those PS+ users will never buy that DLC

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Giving away FFVIIR and then the free PS5 upgrade would have been above and beyond, a super flex. These two things are still generous on their own though and I don't have to feel bad about buying it in the January sale.

wackotic

Aug 14, 2018
I was really hoping for Disco Elysium or Hades due to all of the speculation but luckily Marquette and Remnant seem interesting

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Goes without saying, but just for visibility:

PSA: As it stands currently people who want to get FF7R digital should consider NOT to download the Plus version, but wait for the next sale for the PS4 version. If they intend to upgrade that version to PS5. If you claim it with PS+ you will not be able to buy the digital PS4 version (eligible for PS5 Upgrade) again.

Last edited:

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so they're going to make a special version of the game for PS+ just so they can track and prevent people upgrading? Why the fuck do they care? If they give away FFVIIR now, like *nobody* from that group that download it will be willing to buy the entire game again just to get some slightly nicer graphics.

- you let people upgrade for free to get a big additional number of people playing on PS5 (quite a few didn't have PS4 it seems) and hopefully they are then onboard for either part 2 or other SE franchises

- you provide a small $10 or so upgrade to take advantage of the new players getting the game late as part of PS+

There were two obvious options and you took neither of them. So short sighted
Well said, they went out of their way to be asshats.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Really interested to try maquette given anything from Annapurna tends to be amazing these days.

hadn't heard anything about remnant but will def spin it up based on recommends here

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

PSA: As it stands currently people who want to get FF7R digital should consider NOT to download the Plus, but wait for the next sale for the PS4 version. If they intend to upgrade that version to PS5. If you claim it with PS+ you will not be able to buy the digital version again.
they changed that, you can purchase games you get for free on ps+

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

PSA: As it stands currently people who want to get FF7R digital should consider NOT to download the Plus, but wait for the next sale for the PS4 version. If they intend to upgrade that version to PS5. If you claim it with PS+ you will not be able to buy the digital version again.

You got to be kidding

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Well I would have played ff7 with this version once it got updated for ps5, no ps5 upgrade is hillarious

I'm guessing the PS4 doesn't have a 60fps mode in back compat?

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe you can upgrade for like 10 bucks? It's not perfect, but still "ok" considering you get the main game for free? (I understand the frustration in parts, though I own the PS4 version).

Remnant is nice, most people really like it, Farpoint is one of the VR games out there, especially with the VR Aim Controller, lot's of fun and a great experience (if you don't mind spider like creatues jumping in your face ^^).

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
Glad FFVII remake is there as I haven't played it but just a bit suprised. Do they think a lot of people will buy the next gen version because of this? I would have thought it would take away quite a few sales

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
If you don't own FF7R already, the cheapest way to get PS5 upgrade and Yuffie DLC is buy FF7R (physical) for PS4 ($30) and DLC for $10-15

The only other way is to outright buy the PS5 version $69.

The Ps+ free game is a huge benefit but I can see a ton of people getting confused and upset when in June they can't simply upgrade their Ps+ version to the new PS5 update or get the DLC.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Dead by Daylight PS5 SKU was free for everyone who claimed the PS Plus version back then.

But was that a new game or was it just the same game but a PS5 version? FF7R Intergrade is listed as a separate game on PSN.

To be clear here, I am not saying that this definitely isn't Square being super shitty. Just saying that we haven't seen this exact scenario so there might be more at play than we think.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
that ff7 remake thing is wild, both for actually being a ps plus freebie not even a year since its release despite being a massive success and for denying those who redeem it the free ps5 upgrade

remnant is a great game that anybody into third-person shooters should definitely try out. i played through the whole thing not too long ago on pc, and might just play it again on console with a friend who only has a ps4.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't work if you have a Digital console. Just a dumb way to throw away money - you announce an update and paid DLC tied to PS5, then increase the addressable market by giving the PS4 game away to the entire PS+ community. But then make that group unaddressable for no obvious reason. You've had your primary sales from the game for a year. You aren't losing money by letting them have the upgrade for free. Heck, charge $10 like Activision. Also means all those PS+ users will never buy that DLC

That's why I wouldn't go all digital

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
That's not what I'm talking about

PS4 or PS5, Control Ultimate Edition is the game they gave away. It's the same game.

FF7R and the re-release are different games on PSN

Do you not realize there is already a free upgrade for FF7 for regular owners from PS4 to PS5? There is no technical issue outside the one they made themselves

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Do you not realize there is already a free upgrade for FF7 for regular owners from PS4 to PS5? There is no technical issue outside the one they made themselves

Yes but the people who own FF7R own it and always will so they can get the upgrade for free

The people who get it on PS+ won't always own the game, as the whole point of PS+ is you only have things when you are subscribed

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Never played FF7 (I was a Sega and Nintendo kid). Maybe now is a good time to jump in.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Another great month, though I'll pass on FF7 Remake because I'll buy the PS5 version when it drops in June, I had already decided that yesterday and, honestly, there are still lots of PS4 only owners who'll benefit from getting one of the best games from last year for free. Getting the upgrade with Plus would've been nice, but I'm not gonna complain tbh, it's still a great deal.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
51aCFGh8IBL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

PSA: As it stands currently people who want to get FF7R digital should consider NOT to download the Plus version, but wait for the next sale for the PS4 version. If they intend to upgrade that version to PS5. If you claim it with PS+ you will not be able to buy the digital version again.
Wrong, underlined in the quote below. Also they changed how they handle this since last year in general.

Updated on 1 March, 2021
If you already own a PS4™ digital version of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, you are not eligible to purchase FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE. You are however eligible to receive a free PS5™ digital version of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE if you already either (i) own a PS4™ digital version of the game or (ii) own a PS4™ disc version of the game and also own a PS5™ console with a disc drive (you must insert the disc each time you wish you to download or play the PS5™ digital version of the game). Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you obtained FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE via PlayStation®Plus Monthly Game then (a) you are not eligible for the free upgrade to PS5™ but (b) you are eligible to purchase FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE. The PlayStation®5 version of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE and all related updates are required to play the new episode featuring Yuffie. Some additional restrictions may apply.

Source: PSN Singapore

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE Digital Deluxe Edition (Japanese/English Version) (English, Japanese)

Please note there is also a version of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE without some of the extra items that come with this product. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE expands upon and reimagines the spectacular world of the original PlayStation® game. It covers up through the escape from Midgar and...
At the bottom

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was a brand new SKU. New PSN store entry and everything that you had to claim again.

It's listed as one product here but maybe you're right!

Dead by Daylight PS4® & PS5®

This product entitles you to download both the digital PS4® version and the digital PS5® version of this game. Ever wished to play as one of the characters from your favorite horror movies Dead by Daylight is a 1v4 multiplayer game that draws from all corners of the horror world from a powerful...

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong, underlined in the quote below. Also they changed how they handle this since last year in general.
I changed my initial post to reflect I meant the PS4 digital version (eligible for upgrade). I know I can buy the new PS5 version.
And (at least on my end) I can't buy games I already claimed, just looked 3 former Plus games up off the top of my head (Control Ultimate, Ratchet & Clank, Hollow Knight).

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Yes but the people who own FF7R own it and always will so they can get the upgrade for free

The people who get it on PS+ won't always own the game, as the whole point of PS+ is you only have things when you are subscribed

I guess a black hole will open up and swallow all of existence if they deactivated the PS5 upgrade when you unsubbed

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure why that should matter?

I remember them giving people GOW collection on Vita years after they gave the games on PS3.

They did it before and they can do it again.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's been a while since I haven't heard of a PS+ game and we have two of them. Looking forward to go into both Remnant and Marquette blind.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean though that if you get the ps plus version you can't just later grab the ps4 version on sale and get the free upgrade? ie you know have to buy the new ps5 version?

Doesn't affect me as I already own FF7 but it's just confusingly worded

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of SE games have been up for grabs via PS+ over the years but I think this is the first time ever a FF game has been given away, so that's huge. Remnant is my GOTY from 2019. Highly recommend. It's a great month if you already don't own either game.