• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Almost got Greedfall recently, and was curious about Maneater.
Tomb Raider.. eh.

Very solid month imo.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow I commented here without reading the rest of the thread (shamefully) but I too got a refund for Maneater after buying it in the November sale.
That's really fucking cool and unexpected. I've put the money towards Immortals which I was wavering on.
I wouldn't have been sour about Maneater being on PS+ because I bought it for what I thought was a fair price but I hadn't started it so this is a welcome development.

One of the best months yet for sure!

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
All Eidos seemingly go to Plus. Both Deus Ex and all 3 Tomb Raider games have been on Plus.

Avengers in 2 or 3 years?

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Is there a gore toggle on Maneater?

My son loves sharks (plays some iOS shark game all the time), and I'd hate for him to miss out bc of excessive gore.

Greedfall I'll add to the library but doubt I'll ever get time to play, but I reckon I can probably stomach the last of the TR reboots, despite the drop in quality between TR2013 & RotTR.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Maneater is a great game, but the PS5 version has a memory leak or something, and it eventually just crawwwwls.

I hope they fix it prior to everyone trying it, because it's a really good game that deserves more attention.

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017

My son loves sharks (plays some iOS shark game all the time), and I'd hate for him to miss out bc of excessive gore.

Greedfall I'll add to the library but doubt I'll ever get time to play, but I reckon I can probably stomach the last of the TR reboots, despite the drop in quality between TR2013 & RotTR.

AFAIK, in Maneater, you level up by eating people and fish...sooo...uhhh...yeah. Probably not for him at his age if he's young.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I wish SOTR and Greedfall had next-gen updates. They gonna look superb on PS5, especially SOTR with the ray traced shadows.
I am surprised some odl games are getting current-gen support but not this last Tomb Raider.

How do you know? AFAIK the majority of games with current-gen support have all announced their plans to support the new consoles. Neither Greedfal nor SOTR had such announcements even for the future.

Spiders announced a next gen upgrade with additional content in celebration of sales hitting over a million copies.

www.gamespot.com

Pirate RPG Greedfall Will Get A PS5/Xbox Series X Update With New Content

After selling 1 million copies, the popular RPG is coming to next-gen.

Not a lot of details but I assume it will have better lighting, textures, framerate. Hope it's a free upgrade.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
To everyone: in case you don't know there is a free skin for Maneater, a Tiger shark skin, so get it in preparation:

Maneater: Tiger Skin Evolution

The Tiger Shark is often called the garbage disposal of the sea. Appropriately enough, this evolution allows you to digest nearly anything, increasing your ability to gain vital nutrients from all varieties of prey.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who got the alert on refunds for Maneater / Tomb Raider actually got a refund? Nothing here yet, got the alert on the PS5 yesterday. I'm in no rush, and assume it'll take them a few days, but just checking to make sure no one has actually gotten the refund.

Only way I know to check is to look at the PSN transaction history

Sony

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
First Rise and now Shadow. Guess they really want me to play some Tomb Raider.

Guess I'll actually check this one out. I really dislike the direction that the reboot took Tomb Raider in. The "cinematic" focus, seriousness, gore, and Lara herself seems to be a permanently lackluster character now. But I've heard good things regarding the actual tombs in this game. Hopefully there's some nice platforming as well.

I'll probably be skipping the cutscenes though. Based on the word of mouth, it'll be for my sanity's sake.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I was close to pulling the trigger on shadow (liked the cinematic nature of it) and man-eater looked really interesting, people do talk about greedfall, so wow nice month Sony. Just wish more devs would go back into PS4 games and patch in a PS5 enhanced mode, or perhaps Sony could go in and find a way to do it themselves, I mean just something modest above what the pro was doing - there's clearly lots of headroom. The last 2-3 months haven't been bad, I really hope they keep it up.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the new store is complete shit. Tried to add Bugsnax but it didn't work in Chrome, had to switch to firefox.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Would we be able to own Shadow of the Tomb Raider if we buy the definitive edition upgrade? I ask because the two versions look like they're treated like different games on the PS Store.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is one of the best formulaic by-the-numbers AAA games of the last gen for me. It can seem like a very minor compliment but if you're like me and quickly put off by uninspired, designed by committee, generic games, you could find yourself pleasantly surprised by this one, which takes a strong turn into a slower, less explosive and allegedly superficial but refreshing exploration-driven direction.

Thematically, the story is a big miss, but they were just as shit in both previous games, and this time there are really interesting, unusual locales/towns to roam around and people to interact with, adding a lot of charm.

There are a few major flaws but it's by far the best of the reboot trilogy IMO - just wanted to add my two cents and encourage people to try it out, as it has received a very lukewarm response at launch.

What's the consensus on Maneater's PS5 version btw? I know they were talking about RT prior to launch but does it perform well?

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is one of the best formulaic by-the-numbers AAA games of the last gen for me. It can seem like a very minor compliment but if you're like me and quickly put off by uninspired, designed by committee, generic games, you could find yourself pleasantly surprised by this one, which takes a strong turn into a slower, less explosive and allegedly superficial but refreshing exploration-driven direction.

Thematically, the story is a big miss, but they were just as shit in both previous games, and this time there are really interesting, unusual locales/towns to roam around and people to interact with, adding a lot of charm.

There are a few major flaws but it's by far the best of the reboot trilogy IMO - just wanted to add my two cents and encourage people to try it out, as it has received a very lukewarm response at launch.

What's the consensus on Maneater's PS5 version btw? I know they were talking about RT prior to launch but does it perform well?
Is the DLC worth it? It's currently on sale for 5.99$ . I enjoyed TR 2013 and I loved rise of the tomb raider.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is the DLC worth it? It's currently on sale for 5.99$ . I enjoyed TR 2013 and I loved rise of the tomb raider.

Yeah. The DLC tombs in Shadow are fantastic. Some of my favourite stuff in the game.

They unlock as you play through the campaign which is nice. Just totally integrated. Ie, you don't access them via a DLC menu.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been 2 or 3 of the new tomb raiders? Can't remember how many of them I've played. The first one where you get spikes through your head, and one where you're in a Russian camp, and hunting deer etc - was that a different one or the same one?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Have there been 2 or 3 of the new tomb raiders? Can't remember how many of them I've played. The first one where you get spikes through your head, and one where you're in a Russian camp, and hunting deer etc - was that a different one or the same one?

Three games.

Tomb Raider (spikes through head)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (a lot of snow, Russians)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (this one, jungle shit)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I remember a big deal being made about Maneater having 'DualSense features' or whatever...

Were they never added? It doesn't have an adaptive trigger use or dynamic haptic stuff from what I can tell. It's just binary on/off vibration exactly the same as the Xbox version. Doesn't feel any different than that version to me.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
It has already been answered but yeah, absolutely. You basically get more of the best content in the game, and it integrates very well into the game, to the point where you don't know which tomb is base game-related and which is DLC.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think this is for kids. After the tutorial

the antagonist of the game kills a shark and the cuts a baby shark out of her belly.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
is there something wrong with maneater? no dual sense support, no hdr settings, no reflections of any kind (on the water surface), stuttery framerate...
did i download the ps4 version ? but the psn store says "ps5".

edit: well, looks like everything is correct. its just a half-assed "next-gen" patch.

Last edited:

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. The DLC tombs in Shadow are fantastic. Some of my favourite stuff in the game.

They unlock as you play through the campaign which is nice. Just totally integrated. Ie, you don't access them via a DLC menu.

Which DLCs are these? I am on the PS app now and there are a few of them but which are the ones tha are worth it?

GFdoom

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Can't wait to see Maneater in glorious 60fps...whenever I eventually get a hold of a ps5...smh...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Which DLCs are these? I am on the PS app now and there are a few of them but which are the ones tha are worth it?

I think the 'Definitive Edition Extra Content' is essentially the Season Pass. Gives you all the extra tombs.

Combining all seven DLC challenge tombs, weapons, outfits, and skills...

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Extra Content

This DLC unlocks all of the Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Content. In Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition experience the final chapter of Lara’s origin as she is forged into the Tomb Raider she is destined to be. Combining all seven DLC challenge tombs, weapons, outfits...

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the 'Definitive Edition Extra Content' is essentially the Season Pass. Gives you all the extra tombs.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Extra Content

This DLC unlocks all of the Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Content. In Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition experience the final chapter of Lara’s origin as she is forged into the Tomb Raider she is destined to be. Combining all seven DLC challenge tombs, weapons, outfits...

Thanks, i think it's worth it if it's 7 tombs for 6€

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018

Maneater has a 16+/18+ age rating in Europe, you're eating humans who are screaming in terror, bodies getting ripped apart...this is not a game for kids.