• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

"Beyond near-instant loading and fast-travel, the SSD and its speed allow us to more quickly load and display more detailed assets. This should lead to the city looking better than ever, and this is just the beginning for our team unlocking those possibilities. It's a fundamental change that we can't wait to take more advantage of in the years to come."— Brian Horton // Creative Director, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

"As developers [of Demon's Souls], we are already changing the way we think about the SSD. We see it not just as storage but also memory, utilizing the speed of the SSD to load data at blistering speeds, bringing you straight back into the action to avenge your many deaths."— Gavin Moore // Creative Director, SIE Japan Studio

The SSD is a gamechanger, I think as this generation matures we will see some amazing innovation in streaming and open-world game design."— Neil Hill // Lead Programmer, Far Cry 6

"Hopefully players were able to see the new extended gameplay demo we recently revealed for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.The SSD and custom I/O architecture around it allows us to send players across dimensions with near-instant speed. It fundamentally changes the rules and allows us to think about ideas and game designs that are only possible on PS5."– Marcus Smith // Creative Director, Insomniac Games

Tempest 3D AudioTech Engine
PS5's Tempest 3D AudioTech engine is designed to provide highly accurate audio positioning, which could spell a major leap forward for gaming immersion. Developers across the globe are already putting the Tempest 3D AudioTech engine to good use, and below, they're sharing some of their plans (and hopes) for the feature:

Now with the PS5 console's Tempest 3D AudioTech sound engine we'll be able to play sounds in such a way that players will be able to locate the machines around them with greater ease, which is great for situations in which you find yourself surrounded or just want to sneak on machines."— Mathijs de Jonge // Creative Director, Guerrilla Games

3D Audio is exciting because it can create a more convincing and accurate soundscape for players, and a stronger sense of place.… in a fast-paced action game with lots of verticality like Returnal, it can also help with the player's situational awareness, and make it more intuitive for players to pinpoint the locations of nearby enemies or incoming projectiles in the heat of combat."— Harry Krueger // Game Director, Returnal

blog.playstation.com

Devs speak: How PS5 console’s ultra-high speed SSD and Tempest 3D AudioTech engine will enhance the future of gaming

Devs share initial thoughts on two distinguishing PS5 console features.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
"As developers [of Demon's Souls], we are already changing the way we think about the SSD. We see it not just as storage but also memory, utilizing the speed of the SSD to load data at blistering speeds, bringing you straight back into the action to avenge your many deaths."— Gavin Moore // Creative Director, SIE Japan Studio

Demon's Souls: Die Even Faster Edition

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Another Tuesday another piece meal offering, this could easily have been with the other blog post previously. The dragging of revealing anything people want to know is a bit of a joke now.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Is this beautiful or Is this beautiful?
49996357581_969b91e064_h.jpg

Seriously though fast loading is going to be amazing in a souls like game. Going from one area to another in an instant is going to feel sooo good.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

That's nice Gavin, but I want to know how the SSD affects Puppeteer 2 more.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
"Hitman 3 pushes you to explore and experiment in huge sandbox locations – and being able to save/load frequently is key to that. The blitz-fast load times we are seeing on the PS5 console encourages [player] experimentation more than ever.

Neat. Gimme that blazing fast Hitman.

Twitter replies are fun. Everyone just wanting price and pre-orders.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Devs talk. Can't wait until devs show. Insomniac is cool with me though...they've stepped up with gameplay.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
At this point I just want to know how the sound is getting to my amp and headphones. For the past 20 years it's been optical to whatever device.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Devs talk. Can't wait until devs show. Insomniac is cool with me though...they've stepped up with gameplay.

Kinda wish they'd show some gameplay of their launch game though! It's great to see all of this Ratchet stuff but launch is coming fast and we've still only really had a teaser of Miles Morales and a screenshot.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
most interesting thing here to me.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Second week another blog post which is leading to one more blog post next week which is leading to another event on September 15th.

maybe

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda wish they'd show some gameplay of their launch game though! It's great to see all of this Ratchet stuff but launch is coming fast and we've still only really had a teaser of Miles Morales and a screenshot.

That will be the main event of their next stream I assume. 5 -10 minutes of gameplay.

There's normally a little hint of something new in these blogs but I spotted nothing new here.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I feel like this is stuff we could've gotten in June.
At this point these articles do nothing for me.

This will be everything Sony will say about the PS5 this week won't it? lol

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Seriously though fast loading is going to be amazing in a souls like game. Going from one area to another in an instant is going to feel sooo good.
This is interesting, cause the fog walls and slowly opening doors have become somewhat iconic. But they're really just hiding load screens and similar memory stuff. I assume they'll keep them in the games, even though they're no longer necessary.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting so tired of these fluff posts on the PS Blog when we still don't know the price, release date, launch games, or anything else. Please stop talking up your hardware unless you have something new to say, Sony.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

DomsPlaying brought up a great point. Maybe because Marvel is still very much part of production and marketing of their licensed games, they've might be waiting the Avengers launch to heavily promote Miles Morales, avoiding some overlapping and overshadowing between the two.

Either that or Brian Horton's team is totally heads down trying to ship this game in time

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Looking forward to 3D audio for when I wear headphones late at night. I love Dolby Atmos for Headphones on PC and Xbox and really miss it on PS4. Definitely getting that Pulse headset.

I'm confused about PS5 and Atmos support though - can it really not output Atmos at all? And if so then how is it going to get accurate audio to my Atmos speakers?

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Exciting stuff! Looking forward to what the ssd can do. Audio improvements are welcomed as well!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Looking forward to 3D audio for when I wear headphones late at night. I love Dolby Atmos for Headphones on PC and Xbox and really miss it on PS4. Definitely getting that Pulse headset.

I'm confused about PS5 and Atmos support though - can it really not output Atmos at all? And if so then how is it going to get accurate audio to my Atmos speakers?

Tempest Audio is a competing standard that does the same thing Atmos does, only it will be able to work on any speaker setup, not just the ones licensed by Dolby.

It's complex but interesting stuff.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
The entire point of blogs like this are letting people know the PS5 tech. You don't have to like it, but saying "it's meaningless" is stupid.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm getting so tired of these fluff posts on the PS Blog when we still don't know the price, release date, launch games, or anything else. Please stop talking up your hardware unless you have something new to say, Sony.
Thats not how marketing for wider gaming audience work. U keep reminding them with ads (that is if this ad starts airing soon everywhere)till u launch

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I am very excited for PS5, I can't wait to experience 3D audio, haptic feedback and the speed of the SSD

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We get it, the PS5 has unique gimmicks, more showing, less talking please. They're turning into Phil Spencer.

EgEMKJiVAAAP3ml

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I think Sony is on fire right now. Their marketing department sure knows how to do trailers of things we've already seen and heard lol.
Can't wait for the september showcase announcement

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

I read somewhere that the PS5 3D audio signal is atmos compatible so it'll work with any atmos setup you have, but people were arguing about it lol. I think it should send an atmos signal out for apps and blu rays though I don't think that's confirmed.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yes but what output format is it using though if not Atmos? Or will it support only PCM output?

HDMI 2.0+ supports up to 32 LPCM channels at 24 bit 192khz.

The PS5 will send a digital audio signal encoded by tempest via LPCM to your receiver, which recognizes it as a 3D audio signal (because your receiver is intelligent enough to recognize it by now, the technology isn't new or proprietary to Dolby/DTS) decodes it and sends it out to however many speakers you set it up for.

3D audio isn't limited to a set number of speakers like 5.1 or 7.1 is.