• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This is a developing story so I will try to only post reliable sources.

(potential trigger warning for disturbing content under spoiler, it's the shooting in question)

One of the protest/riot scenes:

www.nbcphiladelphia.com

Violence Tears Through West Philly After Police Shoot, Kill Man; 30 Officers Hurt

Angry crowds took to the streets in West Philadelphia overnight after police shot and killed a man armed with a knife Monday, with some in the crowds throwing rocks and bricks at police and some looting or vandalizing businesses.

Officials are responding to reports of rioting, vandalism and looting in West Philadelphia following protests in response to a deadly police shooting in the city's Cobbs Creek neighborhood.

Police said crowds set fire to cars and dumpsters and looted multiple stores late Monday night along 52nd and Chestnut streets. Firefighters also responded to a fire on 52nd and Sansom streets.

Earlier in the night, protesters gathered outside the 18th District police headquarters on 55th and Pine streets as well as the University of Penn Police headquarters on 40th and Chestnut streets.

During the protest outside the 18th District, at least four officers were hospitalized after they were struck by bricks, investigators said. There were also reports of vandalism, including spray-paint and smashed windows, at the Penn police station.

Seems like it's getting pretty crazy out there. Please try to only post verifiable information.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
We live in a country where if you're wearing a badge you can go out and kill people in front of their family and friends. Fuck this

Oct 25, 2017
was on the block when this happened. Right in front of his mother(who was begging them not to shoot as she tries to calm down her son). Two trained officers and they had to fire 10 times its nasty

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
If you're a cop and you can't handle a man with a knife without literally murdering him – Don't be a cop.

Fucking Christ

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
"Oh shit he's got a knife! Let's blast him!"

Fuck these pigs. Not even one attempt to taser this man. Just straight up fucking murder.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ man.

I feel the panic in those poor people's voices and the terror and sorrow when they open fire.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Watching that woman's reaction is heart breaking. I hope people continue to hit the streets every time this happens until this country's systemic issues are *fixed*

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Tasers are just a forgotten fucking measure now huh, gotta kill everyone instead

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Taking this small bit of time to say your hero Biden want to give Police more money

Don't expect people to be happy idiots under a Biden Administration

SbnaS

Sep 3, 2018
Not everyone, just those with the "scary" skin color.

Do cops even fucking need guns? How often are they helping people or the community generally with their guns?
I saw a statistic for 3 different cities that about 5% of calls for police were violent crimes in which they'd need a weapon. It was on one of Cody Johnston's videos.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
I saw a statistic for 3 different cities that about 5% of calls for police were violent crimes in which they'd need a weapon. It was on one of Cody Johnston's videos.
Weapon as in a gun? Because tasers, mace and night sticks are considered weapons too. I guess my question is more: how frequently is instances of police lethal force actually justified?

SbnaS

Sep 3, 2018
Weapon as in a gun? Because tasers, mace and night sticks are considered weapons too. I guess my question is more: how frequently is instances of police lethal force actually justified?
That's a tough question for me at least. I do not believe the state should be able to sanction any killing.
I'd like to know too if there are any stats out there for justified police force and how they determine if it's justified. I'd guess that the amount of these mother fuckers that get off without any punishments would mean that most of them are "justified".

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
That's a tough question for me at least. I do not believe the state should be able to sanction any killing.
I'd like to know too if there are any stats out there for justified police force and how they determine if it's justified. I'd guess that the amount of these mother fuckers that get off without any punishments would mean that most of them are "justified".
We've investigated ourselves and found no wrongdoing.

Oct 30, 2017
Deleted this as it was unnecessary comment on number of shots and how shit the police are, and have become a military force.

But as someone with a brother with severe bipolar, I'm glad I don't live in the US. I can't imagine the horror of this, or the constant menace of having a police force so inured to this kind of violence

Last edited:

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Just now learning that the victim suffered from mental illness (if this tweet is correct). I'm fighting back tears. Can't we just get through this week.
In my country, in most cases if there is a person having an acute mental illness relapse or psychosis you call an ambulance and they take the person to hospital for medical care at no charge until they are well or at least until they are no danger to anyone.

The US government needs to fix this situation.

This is one basic thing without going into the systemic institutionalised racism that is also present here.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Fucking tragic and why does this feel coordinated? A week out from election, happens in a swing state, in the city that heavily favors the dem, shoot a black man, cause civil unrest, hope it suppresses the vote?

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Here is my 2 cents.

1. If you (supposedly) have a weapon. DROP IT. I don't know why you would continue to walk towards Police who at this point we all know are woefully undertrained. I've seen some stuff that the person might have been mentally ill?

2. I don't understand nor ever will... why is the Police FIRST instinct to use lethal force? They have tasers/stun guns etc. why in the fuck is their first instinct to unload 10 ROUNDS into the person? I'm seriously asking. In this situation are they trained for that shit? It's just bizarre to me. What's the point of having non-lethal means to dispatch someone if you don't use them

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

There are always going to be scenarios where a person isn't thinking about what they're doing like you have the luxury of when you're watching a video of someone and being like "why didn't they just X". Even without any kind of mental illness, humans can act very differently under stress.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking tragedy. Fuck these cops. So many options and they chose the absolute worst one.

LISTEN TO THE FUCKING MOTHER WHEN SHE'S TALKING ABOUT HER SON

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
For what it's worth, I didn't see a knife. Went through it a few times in slow motion, too.

edit: nvm looks like he did have one.

Last edited:

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Tasers won't necessarily work here, and cops aren't marksmen where they shoot people in the legs.

Sure, American cops aren't marksmen; they can barely shoot a can on a post ten feet away without unloading multiple clips apparently. Amateur hour with consistently deadly results.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 months): concern trolling across multiple posts in a sensitive thread, prior serious ban for trolling around sexual harassment
Sure, American cops aren't marksmen; they can barely shoot a can on a post ten feet away without unloading multiple clips apparently. Amateur hour with consistently deadly results.

So imagine what defunding the police will do. Even less training.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So imagine what defunding the police will do. Even less training.

Right, so you don't understand what 'defund the police' means, beyond making a surface level look at the words and jumping straight to the wrong conclusions.

Either way, you can't get less training than zero, which is the amount of worthwhile training they currently get.