• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not here to defend Jeff Bezos of all people, but surely you have to understand that just because some people see intent one way, that doesn't mean other people will accept that or see it the same way. Just like you think my post is some how in defense of Jeff Bezos. Images, words, actions are not universal.

Bezos should be stripped of everything he has, sure. He doesn't deserve the wealth that was built on the backs of people who did nothing but suffer under him. He may even deserve prison, I dunno. Death? Not my place to say.

But don't pretend like parading around a guillotine is just an abstract image. If it is what it is, own up to it.

But it IS a symbol. It's not abstract in material, but it is abstract in practicality. When was the last time you saw someone killed by guillotine? Again the article itself even says it's a popular symbol amongst protestors to reference the rise of the proletariat against the bourgesoie during the French Revolution.

I can assure you 100% Bezos isn't worried that guillotine is any real threat to his life. He's more likely thinking, "I just gotta sit this out, count my money, and this will all blow over."

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps we should replace the guillotine with a less outwardly scary but still outdated execution device, like two boats filled with milk and honey.

Or a big bronze bull, a nice tribute to capitalism!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just FYI the last time a Guillotine was actually used by a government was in 1977. Following that most guillotine uses was from suicides in which the person built their own guillotine. So, unless there's this rash of Guillotine murders I've been missing, I'm not sure how people are going to be confused of this.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Bezos is gonna be a trillionaire in like 5 years lmao he deserves way worse than a guillotine.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017

You don't get to hit back when people enact violence on you? "Vigilante violence" is an arbitrary classification when "legitimate" avenues are corrupt and inherently unjust.
Yeah, because when I think about what a "legitimate" and "just" alternative would look like, I think back to the reign of terror and the Law of Suspects, where tens of thousands more people were arrested and slaughtered out of paranoia than actual crimes.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the people clutching their pearls at jeff bezos seeing a guillotine would put even half as much effort into giving a shit about the people who are routinely and actually killed because of the upper class.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
We Naruto runnin too?

Naruto running overrated, it's sonic running time

FABz.gif

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Besoz is one of those wealthy individuals without the veneer of being even nominally interested in the public good. His existence and his ilk is also responsible for keeping resources from circulating in the public realm and lobbying to block improvements to labour standards, etc. He needs to feel it.

At this point i feel like Bezos is like Dr. Manatthan. Doesn't really give a shit about mortals anymore. He should be reminded. (possibly not with violence)

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, because when I think about what a "legitimate" and "just" alternative would look like, I think back to the reign of terror and the Law of Suspects, where tens of thousands more people were arrested and slaughtered out of paranoia than actual crimes.
I mean, nobody is saying the guy can't give up his wealth willingly. Nor has anyone tried to pull him from his ivory tower and put him under the the guillotine lmao.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Bezos x Musk x Zuckerburg are probably trying to perfect A.I x robotics to protect them in the future
I like the message, dummy should be paying taxes but doesn't pay shit

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Good? The ruling class should be afraid, even the most liberalism-devoted person can see the utility in "keeping them honest".

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With this sort of concern, I would think that your energy is better spent focusing on Jeff Bezos who wields all the power, instead of tone policing the people under the unrelenting crushing boot of capital

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear some of you are scared we're gonna start executing people in Central Park or something.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the people clutching their pearls at jeff bezos seeing a guillotine would put even half as much effort into giving a shit about the people who are routinely and actually killed because of the upper class.
Too much internalization of capitalism to actually stop and consider that anything more than "the way of things". Now a guillotine is super scary and offensive to my negative peace sensibilities

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: Some posters show greater concern for the threat of violence towards one safe and secure billionaire, over the ongoing state of actual perpetual violence working people live through.

Class consciousness, how does it work?

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not here to defend Jeff Bezos of all people, but surely you have to understand that just because some people see intent one way, that doesn't mean other people will accept that or see it the same way. Just like you think my post is some how in defense of Jeff Bezos. Images, words, actions are not universal.

Bezos should be stripped of everything he has, sure. He doesn't deserve the wealth that was built on the backs of people who did nothing but suffer under him. He may even deserve prison, I dunno. Death? Not my place to say.

But don't pretend like parading around a guillotine is just an abstract image. If it is what it is, own up to it.
JJ...come on man. The guillotine is symbolic, the protestors made that fact very clear.

Look, do I like scomparisons to the French Revolution? Not particularly, mainly because they started to essentially publically execute randoms. But this is clearly a provocative political statement. Suggesting that this is advocating for the death penalty, or for the murder of Jeff Bezos...that has about as much truth to it as the claims that Kathy Griffin showing up to a party with a paper mache Trump head were a credible threat to the president's life. It's just not accurate.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Advocating violence
Good. These fucks live absurdly large while billions of people struggle. It's time to set these up all over the world and use them if they can't see fit to share the wealth.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
Good. WIth the collapse of the Soviet Union, the rich lost any threat to their existence, which they clearly need to have until we finally have a government that dares to take their wealth (haha like that will ever happen unless a real French Revolution 2.0 breaks out).

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
The rich need to learn when to realize they have enougu wealth, and start spending on their labour rather than buying massive arenas and renaming them stupid symbolic things like "Climate change arena".

If people like Bezos refuse all other warnings given, threat of death by the people he steps on daily seems fair enough in my book.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
one of the most commonly cited arguments against the death penalty is that we might execute an innocent, but we 100% know what bezos has done and continues to do
One of the arguments, sure, but the main principle behind "no capital punishment" is the value of human life and redemption. I haven't met someone against the death penalty argue that even 100% guilty people should get the chair

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that communists have gravitated to this imagery (let's just say it's imagery and not a death threat) shows a lot of historical stupidity about the French Revolution.

"But we're not trying to persuade people by buying and using a prop that is ridiculous to store and solely has symbolic value!" What are you trying to do then other than get likes from the 3000 people on social media who like Lenin.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
It's a metaphor, lol, not an actual threat.

You truly didn't get that?
Yeah, and do you know what it symbolizes?

History is a good indicator that when revolutions rolls around, it's not only the rich who should be afraid of dying, but rather anyone who the mob perceives to be a threat to the revolution, either real or imagined. Tons of people become fair game for killing when you're operating off fervor and paranoia.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and do you know what it symbolizes?

History is a good indicator that when revolutions rolls around, it's not only the rich who should be afraid of dying, but rather anyone who the mob perceives to be a threat to the revolution, either real or imagined. Tons of people become fair game for killing when you're operating off fervor and paranoia.

You seem really concerned about this hypothetical new Reign of Terror. Tell me, will there be executions being held in Central Park?

Maybe if we haven't been brought to this point via large amounts of gross exploitation with no true punishment, we wouldn't be here.

The fact that communists have gravitated to this imagery (let's just say it's imagery and not a death threat) shows a lot of historical stupidity about the French Revolution.

"But we're not trying to persuade people by buying and using a prop that is ridiculous to store and solely has symbolic value!" What are you trying to do then other than get likes from the 3000 people on social media who like Lenin.

I mean...the tweet makes it pretty clear what they are doing. But I guess we need to take on the true threat, the...communists apparently.

Oct 26, 2017
You seem really concerned about this hypothetical new Reign of Terror. Tell me, will there be executions being held in Central Park?

I mean...the tweet makes it pretty clear what they are doing. But I guess we need to take on the true threat, the...communists apparently.

Nah, it doesn't make it clear what they want, they don't want anything other than Twitter likes. If you intentionally use the worst possible imagery for persuading anyone to a protest, then you're just trying to get popularity among your subgroup instead of doing anything.

"If you don't give more money, I and others will kill you and your children" is not a message that gets literally anyone on your side. So what is the point other than Twitter likes.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it doesn't make it clear what they want, they don't want anything other than Twitter likes. If you intentionally use the worst possible imagery for persuading anyone to a protest, then you're just trying to get popularity among your subgroup instead of doing anything.

"If you don't give more money, I and others will kill you and your children" is not a message that gets literally anyone on your side. So what is the point other than Twitter likes.

...Thank goodness that wasn't the message then.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
People should ask Bezos to stop exploiting his employees more nicely. I'm sure he'll be more inclined to listen that way.

Or maybe people keeping asking, demonstrating, protesting and propping up a guillotine in front of his house is a way of saying "yo, listen motherfucker or at some point you're gonna catch some steel".

Let's not forget that the power balance is waaaaaay in a favor of Bezos here. The army will intervene before Bezos will be harmed.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Advocating for cathartic revenge fantasies is ultimately something I don't find productive, and the guillotine in particular is like a prime example for that when you consider its historic implications. Bezos is a symptom born from systemic causes that can only be solved from movements getting enough traction over time to push for legislative reforms.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I guess celebrating death threats on ERA is ok when it's against the right people considering you literally have admins cheering it in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.