• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prosecutors in Massachusetts on Wednesday dropped a sexual assault charge against the actor Kevin Spacey, bringing an abrupt close to one of the few criminal cases of the #MeToo era.

Mr. Spacey, 59, had been accused of fondling an 18-year-old man at a Nantucket restaurant three years ago. In recent weeks, there had been signs that the case against Mr. Spacey was in jeopardy. Last month, the accuser's lawyer said that a smartphone at the center of the case had gone missing, and this month, the accuser dropped a lawsuitagainst Mr. Spacey only six days after filing it.

Problems for the prosecution came to a head last week when Mr. Spacey's accuser invoked the Fifth Amendment during a hearing over his missing phone. After the young man refused to continue his testimony, a Nantucket District Court judge speculated about whether the prosecution was still viable.

In a court filing, Michael O'Keefe, a prosecutor with the Cape and Islands District Attorney's Office, wrote that the office was dropping the prosecution "due to the unavailability of the complaining witness."

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/arts/kevin-spacey-sexual-assault-case.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/arts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Where is that creepy ass video he posted awhile back in full on Frank Underwood character?

Dude must have known he wasn't getting nailed.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I mean, it was always a somewhat shaky case to begin with.

When the accuser started backing off it was bound to happen.

trumpet909

Oct 27, 2017
That article seems old? CNN is saying a big part of dropping was due to the victim pleading the fifth when asked about deleting messages on the phone:

The alleged victim, who CNN is not naming, exercised his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in a July 8 pre-trial hearing focused on the disappearance of the victim's cell phone and questions about whether he had deleted text messages before turning the phone over to authorities.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
A judge had ordered the phone be given to the defense for forensic examination, but the lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian, wrote in a court document that the accuser does not recall having seen the phone since around December 2017, when it was turned over to the police. According to Mr. Garabedian, the police said the accuser's father later retrieved the phone, but the father has "no memory" of having received it.
The accuser and his family "have searched all the places where such a phone may have been stored," Mr. Garabedian wrote. "They have not found the phone."

Very odd.

OP
OP

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That article seems old? CNN is saying a big part of dropping was due to the victim pleading the fifth when asked about deleting messages on the phone:
Wow thanks for pointing this out! For some reason the NY Times app went to this older article and I copied without paying attention lol. I'll fix it.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I know some people who work in TV, and I know of TWO seperate camera operators who got stalked around an event when they were trying to do their jobs, and they both got their backsides squeezed. I have no doubt that Everything you suspect about the guy is true.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A judge had ordered the phone be given to the defense for forensic examination, but the lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian, wrote in a court document that the accuser does not recall having seen the phone since around December 2017, when it was turned over to the police. According to Mr. Garabedian, the police said the accuser's father later retrieved the phone, but the father has "no memory" of having received it.
The accuser and his family "have searched all the places where such a phone may have been stored," Mr. Garabedian wrote. "They have not found the phone."

Very odd.

My hot take is that the dude had some self incriminating shit on that phone and realized it when he was asked to turn it over.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised since I read about last week's clusterfuck. Fucking sucks that he got away with it, but the plaintiff and his mom fucked up by "losing" the phone and deleting shit.

Hopefully someone who has their shit together can put a case together and get him in jail for another incident. You know there's plenty more of them.

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017
(User banned 1 week). Drive-by provocative post in a sensitive thread. Account in junior phase.
This is great news, hopefully his reputation can heal now.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
The audience at least won't forget. His career is dead.
Nah, not that his career was on fire before this but a good portion of the audience will return. Some because they're fans, they hate the #MeToo "witch hunt" or they just don't pay attention/care. I'm sure Spacey will have a solid career in Europe/vod stuff.
l2v6snj3evrz.gif

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
As always the rich celebrity gets away with it despite overwhelming damning evidence.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I mean, I know the consensus on this here (he is not exonerated, he's still a piece of shit) but every time a case is dropped against someone I can't imagine money is the sole reason.

He is very likely guilty of something but this particular case always seemed odd.

Nov 30, 2018
Also looks like the accuser is being shady.

But the case was hampered when the man invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination and refused to answer questions, particularly regarding whether any text messages on his cellphone from that night were deleted.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Believe all victims and all that. However, it is actually possible that Spacey had nothing to do with the case being dropped.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Believe all victims and all that. However, it is actually possible that Spacey had nothing to do with the case being dropped.

(Oops, I originally misread your post. I actually agree with you. Either way, the following still seems worth reiterating:)

His own lawyer tried framing that encounter as "consensual flirting," and we know the accuser sent text messages afterwards describing something at least resembling sexual assault. The problem here is that a key piece of evidence (the phone those text messages were sent on) apparently went missing, Spacey's defense zoomed in on the possibility that evidence exonerating Spacey could have been on the phone and/or deleted, and the accuser undermined his own case by pleading the 5th on questions of whether he had deleted any potential evidence prior to turning in the phone to the police.

To stem some confusion, here's how the LA Times summed all that up earlier this month:

The son of Boston TV anchor Heather Unruh has alleged that in July 2016 Spacey plied him with alcohol and sexually assaulted him at the Club Car restaurant in Nantucket, where the then-18-year-old man worked as a busboy. Spacey pleaded not guilty to indecent assault and battery in January.

On Monday, the plaintiff, who prefers to remain unnamed publicly, asserted his 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination and refused to testify after being questioned by the actor's lawyer about text messages the defense claims were deleted. He previously said that he did not delete or alter any of the contents of the phone before handing it over to law enforcement.

However, his mother has admitted to removing content that showed "frat boy activities" from the phone before giving it to law enforcement and told them she had done so. Unruh said she believed she was deleting content that was not relevant to the case.

As the case prepares for trial, it largely hinges on cellphone evidence that purportedly chronicled the alleged assault with video and text messages. Spacey appeared at a pretrial hearing last month but has not yet appeared in court again.

This week, another pretrial hearing was devoted to the whereabouts and condition of the young man's cellphone, which has allegedly gone missing after police say they returned it to the plaintiff's family.

Their attorney, Mitchell Garabedian, also asserted Monday that they cannot find the phone but have recovered a copy of its contents that were backed up to a computer.

Spacey's attorney, Alan Jackson, has argued that there could be evidence on the phone that could exonerate the actor, but since the phone is missing, the defense team is unable to know. He argued that prosecutors failed to safeguard a key piece of evidence in the case and that the case has been "completely compromised" because of it. The technicality could result in a dismissal of the case, the judge said.

and a relevant segment from the more recent NYT piece:

During the criminal court proceedings, the defense focused its efforts on obtaining the smartphone that the young man used the night of the alleged assault. Throughout the night, he had been texting his girlfriend updates on what he said was happening. At one point, according to court documents, he texted her that Mr. Spacey had grabbed his penis "like eight times."

Mr. Jackson said that records of the text conversation between the accuser and his girlfriend appeared to be incomplete, suggesting that the accuser had deleted messages that could prove Mr. Spacey's innocence. A group chat between the accuser and several friends also appeared to be incomplete and edited, Mr. Jackson wrote in court filings.

A Nantucket District Court judge granted the defense's request to obtain the accuser's physical smartphone so they could examine it forensically. But shortly before the phone was supposed to be produced, the accuser's lawyer said it was missing.

At the hearing about the missing phone last week, the accuser and his parents denied that they had manipulated screenshots of texts messages from the night of the alleged assault before handing them over to police. When Mr. Jackson was told the accuser that he could be charged with a felony for deleting evidence, the young man invoked his constitutional right to protect himself from self-incrimination.

Also, a couple things worth mentioning:

1). Cases are dropped for all sorts of reasons (just read the quotes above for an example of that). It's not evidence that an accusation has been brought into particular doubt.

2). This is one accusation out of a rather sizable number of accusations. Remember, this does not relate to the original Anthony Rapp accusation. Anyone thinking this case being dropped somehow makes Spacey look better has to wrestle with a lot of contradictory evidence (...and should also expand their understanding of the justice system).

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
My hot take is that the dude had some self incriminating shit on that phone and realized it when he was asked to turn it over.
Yea I read a story a few months ago that there were a bunch of messages deleted, which was why Spacey's team wanted to see the phone to use as evidence. Or atleast thats what Spacey's team was trying to prove. That was the last thing I heard about the case though.

Elma4Smash

Banned
Jul 15, 2019
User banned (permanent): rationalizing relationships with minors and excusing sexual assault over multiple posts in the thread + account in junior phase

Dito. Either there was proof against himself or he had some unrelated illegal shit on the phone (use your imagination).

I'm glad this is over. I love his movie- and tv appearances. And from what I read, the accusation was 'only' some light touching of a young man. It'd be difference if he was accused of raping a prepubescent child or something in that level. As is, I hope he can return to the movie business. As his creepy video proved, he's still a chilling actor. And he'll probably never again risk doing any shit.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Dito. Either there was proof against himself or he had some unrelated illegal shit on the phone (use your imagination).

I'm glad this is over. I love his movie- and tv appearances. And from what I read, the accusation was 'only' some light touching of a young man. It'd be difference if he was accused of raping a prepubescent child or something in that level. As is, I hope he can return to the movie business. As his creepy video proved, he's still a chilling actor. And he'll probably never again risk doing any shit.
How old is young man in this context?