• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Two Tennessee lawmakers have introduced a bill that would allow the alleged father of an unborn child to file a court injunction and prevent the mother from getting an abortion. The bill, which was introduced by Sen. Mark Pody, R-Lebanon, and Rep. Jerry Sexton, R-Bean Station, states that a person can "petition a court for an injunction to prohibit a woman who is pregnant with the person's unborn child from obtaining an abortion," according to both House Bill 1079 and Senate Bill 949.

Another stipulation of the bill is the person who is seeking to stop the abortion does not need to prove he is the biological father, meaning DNA evidence is not needed.

The bill states all the petitioner needs is "a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity that is not subject to being rescinded or challenged."

Meanwhile, in South Carolina, other proposed abortion legislation that's drawn attention is also making its way to approval. The proposal would likely ban almost all abortions in the state. It moved closer to final approval in a committee vote split along party lines last week.

The House Judiciary Committee voted 15-8 to pass the "South Carolina Fetal Heartbeat and Protection from Abortion Act." The bill has already passed the Senate and the governor promises he will sign it, although the law is likely to be the subject of lengthy court battles before it could take effect.

About a dozen other states have passed similar bills, although they are tied up in court challenges.
The main sponsor of the bill in South Carolina, Rep. John McCravy, R-Greenwood, said during his explanation of the bill that he expects the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn its 1973 abortion rights decision because of recent conservative justices added by former President Donald Trump.

www.fox32chicago.com

Tennessee bill would allow fathers to prevent abortions

A bill has been introduced in Tennessee that would allow the alleged father of an unborn child to veto an abortion.

The not needing to prove paternity to stop the abortion part is wild.

Please close if duplicate.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vomit. We need to take religion out of government.

That highlighted stipulation makes this seem like a planned loophole to prevent any and all abortions.

Yokijirou

Oct 27, 2017
I love when a country that allows for freedom of religion and such has those within the government using religion to oppress people.

Kinda...against the ideals of America eh?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Absolutely insane. There's no way this passes, right? Like, any dude could just claim to be the dad and they get to control a random woman's body, come on.

Not that it'd be acceptable even if paternity tests were required, of course. I look forward to the Satanic Temple taking these assholes to court, at the very least.

Please close if duplicate.
You mean "please abort if duplicate" right

(I'll see myself out)

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are going to be men just hanging around abortion clinics who walk in and claim they are the father of some random woman's fetus and fuck shit up for those women and I'm just so disgusted.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
There are going to be men just hanging around abortion clinics who walk in and claim they are the father of some random woman's fetus and fuck shit up for those women and I'm just so disgusted.
The bill says that it requires "a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity that is not subject to being rescinded or challenged." so I don't think that's feasible.

Don't get me wrong, the bill is a vindictive and evil attempt to control women's bodies. I just don't see how random strangers could do anything with it.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bill says that it requires "a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity that is not subject to being rescinded or challenged." so I don't think that's feasible.

Don't get me wrong, the bill is a vindictive and evil attempt to control women's bodies. I just don't see how random strangers could do anything with it.
the article doesn't specify that the acknowledgement has to be made by the mother.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
you know some nutjob is going to go around saying 'god is everyones father and he hates murder' trying to prevent whatever few legal abortions remain

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Along with being awful enough to women in general, I fear such a bill targets at risk women even more. This could make women trying to leave abusive relationships have another roadblock in their path.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
the article doesn't specify that the acknowledgement has to be made by the mother.

But since it can't be rescinded, the mother could just be like "cool, have fun with the baby", give up maternity rights and the random stranger is now a single father. The issue is more with women who were raped or trying to leave abusive relationships now having their abusers having legal power over them.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No, but the random stranger would be accepting parenthood and the responsibility that goes alone with it

Don't get me wrong, this bill is trash but not because random people will be hanging out at clinics taking on kids. A more likely problem would be someone you already know trying to inject themselves into your life or something

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No, but the random stranger would be accepting parenthood and the responsibility that goes alone with it

Don't get me wrong, this bill is trash but not because random people will be hanging out at clinics taking on kids. A more likely problem would be someone you already know trying to inject themselves into your life or something

And you REALLY think the man would be held responsible by any party? They will claim to be the father, reject the abortion, then fuck off forever.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Zero chance this is constitutional.

I don't think they care. If it gets passed, it will take time for the courts to strike this down, during which time the state may be able to go on with enforcing this.

Like a rapist or a stalker.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm. My initial thoughts were "that's fucked," but upon further analysis - what the actual fuck are they thinking? They could force health complications and potential death on a woman, not to mention just denying them their own bodily autonomy.

Why do bad things happen to anyone but these people?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they care. If it gets passed, it will take time for the courts to strike this down, during which time the state may be able to go on with enforcing this.
Completely understood, I just think it is beyond absurd that you can pass laws that you know are unconstitutional. This is going to lead to harassment and abuse, it is clear as day that will be the end result.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I originally misread this as "Girl's dad can prevent abortion" Still fucked up regardless.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Absolutely insane. There's no way this passes, right? Like, any dude could just claim to be the dad and they get to control a random woman's body, come on.

Not that it'd be acceptable even if paternity tests were required, of course. I look forward to the Satanic Temple taking these assholes to court, at the very least.

You mean "please abort if duplicate" right

(I'll see myself out)
This is Tennesse, I wouldn't be surprised if it passed, got challenged in court and then pulled down, wasting everyone's time and money.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Yeah, lets not give women the right to do what they want with their bodies, but lets take it one step further, lets make it so men FORCE them to do what the men want! PERFECT IDEA!

I fucking hate this world so much sometimes

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Right, but I'm responding to the notion that men are going to hang around outside of abortion clinics and make false claims to stop the abortion. As others have pointed out, these men would be accepting paternity and child support payments for the next 18+ years. Maybe TN is lax about that stuff, but up here the state will fuck your shit up if you skip out on child support payments.

Even more importantly, you have to petition the court. That means you'd need to know who the person is, hire a lawyer, file a claim, and then have to back that up in court (perjury is a thing). That's just not feasible if you're trying to stop someone you don't know who is walking into the clinic. The most likely scenario here would be an abusive partner harassing a woman trying to leave a relationship, which is disgusting.

The whole bill is just dumb, invasive bullshit that serves no purpose but to prevent women from exercising their bodily autonomy. But it's not going to lead to randos claiming paternity. Hopefully this crap is struck down sooner rather than later.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
If you stop the abortion then automatic mandatory coverage of child support for 18 years. That will solve this problem quick.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The father should have no right to prevent an abortion at all.

Even more ridiculous when any random person can assert paternity without evidence to stop one. Obviously you'd get dedicated professional "fathers" stopping every abortion.

Just.... stop trying to control women's bodies, you sacks of shit!

XNihili

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Did they say that the so called father had to take care of the born child until majority or is it up to the woman only ?

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how this isn't obvious to everyone possessing something resembling a conscience. Excreting sperm into another persons body ENTITLES YOU TO NOTHING. You're not entitle to fatherhood, a kid or even a sense of joy until the person who's body is impregnated decides what they want to with themselves and even then, they have every right to change their mind. Some diseased shit to think otherwise

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
But there is already a way to do this

www.familylawrights.net

Fathers’ Rights and Abortion

What You Should Know About Abortion and Fathers’ Rights When discussing abortion, the topic often revolves around the rights of the woman and the unborn

Private Agreements
In cases where the alleged father wishes to keep the child and the mother wants to terminate the pregnancy, it is possible for the couple to come to a private agreement outside of the court room. Should a pregnant woman wish to terminate her pregnancy against the father's wishes, an attorney has the ability to draft an agreement where the alleged father agrees to pay the medical costs and other expenses of the pregnancy and then obtain full custody of the child after it is born. In some cases, these agreements are enough to help sway the pregnant woman from abortion and take the pregnancy to term.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Does the law include a provision where the "father" of the child who forced the women to have the baby also become entirely responsible for the child's wellbeing? IE - they will be the caretaker of the child, be responsible for all of the expenses involved in having a child, and there being no legal responsibility for the mother to act as a guardian to the child?

I think we all know the answer to that one.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
I think there is an interesting debate to be had on how women can force men into fatherhood with the responsabilities that goes with it, but men can't do that to women. But that law is disgusting and definitely not the way to aproach the problem. Women should be able to do what they want with their body.