• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
It would be awesome if this happens, but it needs something more on the level of the EU doing it than North Dakota.

James

Oct 25, 2017
US
North Dakota can't do that though, goes against the commerce clause.
That's not quite right. There's nothing to prevent North Dakota from implementing a law like this. Parts of the constitution which are proscriptive to the states spell that out explicitly (For example, the states cannot make their own fiat currencies). The commerce clause does give Congress power to supersede any such law passed by North Dakota, which does seem likely.
Also even if it did pass (which it won't) and were implemented (which it won't) all it would do is ban those devices in North Dakota. I don't think any system manufacturers would change their entire eco-system for one state of less than one million people. So they'd just be barred from getting the newest devices and it'd be appealed within a couple years
This would 100% happen. Just look at Google planning to shut down search in Australia.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Why would any company use the App Store if you can entirely bypass it and take 100% of the revenue?
Under this bill, if it ever became generally applicable, they would all continue to use the App Store. 100%. What they'd change is that they'd make apps that were shell apps (with short time limits or heavy feature restrictions) and take in-app payments through a non-Apple payment processor that gave the developer much closer to all of the payment.

Along with the option to use Apple's own payment system with a price that was somewhere around 50% higher

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How exactly would you put a competing store on a console in the first place without using the company's devkits, tools, and their own store?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wish this would gather more steam everywhere, but thanks ND.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Why would any company use the App Store if you can entirely bypass it and take 100% of the revenue?

I think people wouldn't trust buying an app directly from a website. I myself definitely wouldn't, and I would keep buying from the App Store. And the App Store also helps with visibility and other supports that you wouldn't have if you sold your app directly from your website. You'd have to do that all by yourself.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
This is aimed more at restraining app stores from bullying/forcing developers to only support their platform, it wouldn't require everything to be available everywhere (unless I'm misreading excerpts from OP).

If a developer still wanted to have something exclusive because they only have the budget/capacity to develop for one platform, that would still happen. The biggest consequence would probably be the second item listed in the OP:
Wouldn't everyone make their game free, with an ingame payment system to unlock the full content ?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
This will go absolutely nowhere because regulating commerce in the United States is not in North Dakota's authority as a state, but even if it did, the only result would be that console manufacturers would stop selling consoles in North Dakota. There's like 80 people in North Dakota.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How exactly would you put a competing store on a console in the first place without using the company's devkits, tools, and their own store?

Either:

A) It works like current homebrew development except the platform holder has to make it easier to install from outside sources

B) It works how Tim Sweeney wants it where the platform holder has to provide the development infrastructure and host your store alongside their own.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like it would have no legal standing. Regulating commerce of this size can probably only be handled at a federal level.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
You could just keep using the App Store?
You would still have the app store

You would just also have other OPTIONS to choose from
This does make me wonder though… what if someone else with an iPhone downloads, say, an SMS app from a bad actor that collects all the content of their texts. I wouldn't get to have any say in my data being collected there. I suppose I could just not text people not using iMessage but that doesn't feel right, either. I feel like there are legitimate security concerns here.

Plus I don't really like the idea of apps like Facebook being able to skirt Apple's new standard of displaying what data is being collected by an app.

ps: I think people who think that this means games would be cheaper on consoles are being way too optimistic. I think the more likely scenario is that publishers create their own competing storefronts and charge the same MSRP but collect a higher proportion of the profits. Which like yeah, good for them I guess, but no real net benefit to me as a consumer.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I know it would cause many problems but I'm for that, I think long term it would be a win to have this sort of regulation in place.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
SMS isn't encrypted. Your phone company already collects the content of text messages.

Indeed, they're required to by law in most countries.
I know SMS isn't encrypted. But one benefit to messaging with another iPhone user is the near-mandatory usage of iMessage. Even if both people are using iMessage, wouldn't it be pretty easy for someone to downloading an un-vetted app that could sniff iMessage data on device? Or keystrokes?

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it passes (which it could, North Dakota's fucked up speaking as a former ND citizen), I see some lawyer using the commerce clause to get an injunction and eventually strike it. ND Supreme Court won't much love something like this.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand the false logic people use to make this seem like it would be a benefit to consoles. Even a cursory list of side effects show that it would have a horrible impact on console markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.