• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I am a British game designer and my childhood was filled with weird licensed video games on C64 and ZX Spectrum.
Mr. Wimpy, Neighbours, Spitting Image, The Untouchables and Action Biker (a licensed game about the Skips snack mascot).

Games were sold in supermarkets and Boots so branded stuff sold well here.
Yeah, publishers had countless bedroom coders approaching them with their games, so as far as I'm aware a lot of them were basically re-skinned with some sort of recognizable licence to give it brand recognition and then kicked out the door.
Kind of like how Doki Doki Panic was re-skinned as Super Mario Bros 2.

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason Konami made a game based on McFarlane Toys, McFarlane's Evil Prophecy.

mcfarlanes-evil-prophecy-029f9640-5325-4216-be80-c1980a2e1ec-resize-750.jpg

Elija2

Oct 26, 2017
oQHNssJ.jpg

Acclaim released nine(!) games in their Olsen Twins series in span of just three years in 1999-2002. There was supposed to be tenth one, but it was cancelled because the twins sued Acclaim due to unpaid royalties in a lawsuit which was one of many reasons for company going bankrupt and has one of my favorite hilarious takes on licensed games.

The lawsuit included a letter from the twins' attorney, Martin Singer, that stated that Acclaim had "taken the franchise of the Mary-Kate and Ashley brand in video games which had flourished and has now run it into the ground."
The badge on that cover gives me "Featuring Dante" vibes.

tumblr_inline_mtujtxu1jJ1rw38tc.jpg

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Feel like this either never came out or was Blockbuster only.

It didn't come out, though it got extensive coverage in gaming magazines at the time. I was actually interested in playing it as a kid.

It's kind of funny since this sort of thing strikes me as a "free" licensed game since you're obviously not going to get the likeness of the President (though Wikipedia tells me the Socks "character" was owned by a group that they did license it from). I'm assuming Midway didn't have to pay for the likenesses in NBA Jam either, for instance. I doubt this sort of thing would go over well nowadays though.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
crash test dummies, pepsi, burger king.

there are specifically so many i remember from the snes era

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I loved the blues brothers game on the Amiga. The 2-player mode where the camera follows P1 only and if you fall behind as P2 then you have to blindly try to get back in the screen was hilariously fun as a kid.

Oct 30, 2017
It didn't come out, though it got extensive coverage in gaming magazines at the time. I was actually interested in playing it as a kid.

It's kind of funny since this sort of thing strikes me as a "free" licensed game since you're obviously not going to get the likeness of the President (though Wikipedia tells me the Socks "character" was owned by a group that they did license it from). I'm assuming Midway didn't have to pay for the likenesses in NBA Jam either, for instance. I doubt this sort of thing would go over well nowadays though.
Yeah, I knew there was something afoot. I know there's quite a few games in here that never officially came out. I recall Blues Brothers 2000 as a Blockbuster only game. I rented it. P bad.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
A Peaky Blinders game came out last year.

It's a top down heist game.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was kinda humorous to see an AVGN game on PSN just recently released. Really striking while the iron is hot with that one

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I miss the C64 days when Ocean would buy up movie licenses and turn them all into platformers. :)

lethal_weapon_03.png

Lethal Weapon.

total_recall_02.png

Total Recall.

cobra_03.png

Cobra.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
91EoRY3JBXL._SL1500_.jpg

A 4 hour long 3D brawler broken up into two parts, part one released when Snyder's movie released in theaters, the second part dropped when it had its home video release.

If nothing else, I suppose it's an appropriate adaptation of Snyder's version of Watchmen which was essentially "I don't understand Watchmen and I'm not going to pretend I do, so look at the cool slow motion." Faithful in a sense, then.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Oh right, and there was this too:

81iMHERBZcL._SY445_.jpg

I could see this working in today's post-Spec Ops: The Line world, but back in 1987, when video games were still thought of as (and largely, were) for children? I don't know what kid would wake up on Christmas morning excited to get a game based on a movie about the horrors of the Vietnam War.

(I know there were plenty of adults playing video games back then, but the adult audience was nowhere near as big as it is today, and surely not big enough to justify making a game based on Platoon.)

there was Lost Patrol on computers a survival action role-playing game with strategy elements

62544-lost-patrol-amiga-back-cover.jpg

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
220px-Smarties_-_Meltdown_Coverart.png

I've never played this game but it used to stare at me from the shelves when I worked part time at Gamestation. It had a big sticker celebrating the fact the main character (a blue smartie) was voiced by Dave Benson-Phillips. That name will mean nothing to anyone not of a certain age and who grew up in the UK.
Dave Benson-Phillips? Ok, now I'm really intrigued.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Beverly_Hills_Cop_PS2.jpg

Ah, yes. The hottest property in 2006, Beverly Hills Cop. Jeff Gerstmann called this "The 9/11 of video games."

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
91ivqfz3ckl._sl1500_8uj7b.jpg

it's fun to remember that this game actually came out a few years before the Addams Family movie, somehow
I can maybe understand this one at least, if Addams Family aired reruns on TV at the time then it might have kept its popularity despite no new episodes being made. It was a pretty big property, even got a Scooby Doo crossover episode.

Oct 30, 2017
I can maybe understand this one at least, if Addams Family aired reruns on TV at the time then it might have kept its popularity despite no new episodes being made. It was a pretty big property, even got a Scooby Doo crossover episode.
I remember being creeped out by it when I was a kid, but definitely also knew it was related to Addam's Family. Never owned it, but I've heard it's a pretty lousy and infuriatingly hard game, as expected from a licensed Ocean title.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

Not that I'm complaining, but a video game based on the 80s TMNT cartoon and spiritual sequel to the Konami arcade games was such an odd, out of the blue announcement in 2021.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
51fu2WJGB1L._SX342_.jpg

Not the worst premise for a game but fuck me this was bad. It was an abandoned project some fourth-tier publisher took over and it was atrocious. Like, if somebody had never played a videogame before, and played this, they would never play another video game.

It did have voice work from the original cast which is literally the only saving grace.

theshield_0000.jpg

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son. A VR game released in 2019 which acts as a sequel to the 1993 Bill Murray movie. Apparently it's an alright game, but why does this exist? I'd love to know who got the ball rolling on this 26 years after the movie's release.
Groundhog-Day-VR-Review.jpg

Jun 7, 2018
419768-the-muncher-zx-spectrum-front-cover.jpg

Mastertonic%20Action%20Biker%20Cassette%20Atari%20XL%20%281%29%20%281%29.jpg

jelly-belly-ballistic-beans-wii-large.jpg

The mascot for the UK snack Quavers, Colin Curly, got two games!

204850-one-step-beyond-amiga-front-cover.jpg

edit:
Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son. A VR game released in 2019 which acts as a sequel to the 1993 Bill Murray movie. Apparently it's an alright game, but why does this exist? I'd love to know who got the ball rolling on this 26 years after the movie's release.
I see what you did there, good work!

Oct 28, 2017
My favorites were the ones centered around sports stars that weren't sports games. The classic is ShaqFu:

Which was a big deal in its day and people remember because it got that reboot game recently. But not everyone remembers the weird Michael Jordan platformer:

latest

Also the Tom Green Show fighting game was one of those unique things only that moment in time could have created:

tomgreen.jpg

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
OP did you miss the piece where there was a Blues Brothers movie released in 1998?
Called Blues Brothers 2000

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Glad I'm the first to post this.

RXLE41.png

IIRC, it was like a mix of Trauma Center and Telltale and wasn't *terrible*.

Oct 30, 2017
Some of these were/are super popular franchises. Can't really see anything weird about Home Alone 1 or 2, aside from being complete garbage. The movies likely came out the same years as the games and were really popular with kids. Similarly, Grey's Anatomy sort of makes sense on a casual-friendly console like the Wii.

The branded games and the games that feature ancient licenses no one cares about are much more interesting. I'm guessing some publishers went out and bought up any license they could, particularly if they were sold for rock bottom prices. Easier to sell a game with a known face than an unknown one, I guess. Even better, make a low-budget garbage game with a known character and now you've made a very safe investment.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
That Blues Brothers 2000 game had a really good 2001 article in one of those EGMs I tossed in the hall closet back at my parent's place somewhere.

The main programmer had talked himself into the job despite only taking computer science classes...and knew Basic. With a godawful due-by date (N64 wasnt exactly a spring chicken that year). That sort of thing.

Apparently alot of studios here in America you've never heard about around that era were ran like that.

"SHUT YOR FACE!"

*hits Tokyo_Funk with a cricket bat*

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I couldn't believe there was a House Video game, does it include popping pills mid mission?

House: The Video game

"Race against the clock to crack 5 medical cases!"

This isn't the 90's.. but still never expected it.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I remember there being a bunch of Tiny Toons games on the GBA/PS2/etc in the early to mid-2000s. None of which seemed to be based on anything from the show. I loved Tiny Toons, grew up with it, but seeing them so late after the show was off the air was weird. I imagine the developer/publisher either got the licence cheap or bought it for a long period and figured they'd just make use of it.

I thought it was kinda humorous to see an AVGN game on PSN just recently released. Really striking while the iron is hot with that one

There was a bundle that released recently but I believe the first one came out in 2013, so it's not quite as weird. Supposedly they're pretty fun.

91EoRY3JBXL._SL1500_.jpg

A 4 hour long 3D brawler broken up into two parts, part one released when Snyder's movie released in theaters, the second part dropped when it had its home video release.

If nothing else, I suppose it's an appropriate adaptation of Snyder's version of Watchmen which was essentially "I don't understand Watchmen and I'm not going to pretend I do, so look at the cool slow motion." Faithful in a sense, then.

My impression was always they intended to release a fuller movie game but didn't have the time/budget and tossed this out instead. No idea if that's true though.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, publishers had countless bedroom coders approaching them with their games, so as far as I'm aware a lot of them were basically re-skinned with some sort of recognizable licence to give it brand recognition and then kicked out the door.
Kind of like how Doki Doki Panic was re-skinned as Super Mario Bros 2.

One horrifying example is the Mr Blobby game that was ported to the SNES with a Trolls license:

Both of these were big properties at the time (there was a Mr Blobby theme park for god's sake) so it's not really weird that they got video games, but this was the first example that came to mind.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised we didn't get any Ghostbusters games based off the 80's cartoon on the NES. Just games based off the movies.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The game was based on the blues brothers game with a lagaf skin. It was a good game but badly balanced and very hard
They also reskinned as a blues brothers ?
Damn...
I knew about the fact it's a reskinned Titus the Fox

About blues brothers Snes, it was an OK rental, wouldn't have bought that though, but it was colorful and played fine on a PAL console.