• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
THERE's A HARD MODE?!

Ugh it's one of those you unlock after beating the game, isn't it? fffsss who does that nowadays. Game is way too easy on normal so I wish I could play on hard straight away. And after finishing XV twice without seeing a gameover screen even once, I wish Square would put more difficulty options in their games.

There is, but there's some other modifications to make the game really hard (no items and no MP recovery on benches) so I guess that's why it wasn't available from the start. Also, the game on normal picks up on difficulty after more options are given to the player.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
We're in a pandemic.

This game was announced in 2015. They had all the time to produce a quality product before the pandemic even started to affect office jobs.
Wish they had dedicated time to fix these issues instead of a demo or bloating the game with unnecessary content to stretch playtime for example. The direction chose to accept them.

With that said, it is not a big deal of a bug.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
EVQJlE7XgAcf21e.jpg:orig
Haha, this kinda looks like you threw a high quality character model into a pre-rendered background from the original game.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
THERE's A HARD MODE?!

Ugh it's one of those you unlock after beating the game, isn't it? fffsss who does that nowadays. Game is way too easy on normal so I wish I could play on hard straight away. And after finishing XV twice without seeing a gameover screen even once, I wish Square would put more difficulty options in their games.
Not that hard mode is really THAT hard since it's basically a new game plus, so you'll easily compensate the difficulty change.
I wish it was more like a DMC hard with more enemies instead of the same game.

Too bad about the texture bug btw, the whole sectors looks just dreadful, especially Aerith garden near her house, it looks bad even for early PS3 standard...

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Oh yeah, because this is some last minute bug for sure... X'D

The situation hit Japan in January. I know for a fact that certain devs started WFH in late January/ early February. Do you know there is a little problem with networking from home in Japan for some people due to not actually having proper equipment nor a proper internet connection since WFH isn't very big here and Japan is woefully ill equipped for it.
I suspect that such bugs would of been ironed out in a patch or two but given the situation I can understand why there may be a delay.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was because SE is full of incompetent people and they hate every single one of their customers.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I noticed sometimes the area I spawned into would have low res textures, but if I like walked away from a building or wall and then turned around and walked back, the hi res one would pop in.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed sometimes the area I spawned into would have low res textures, but if I like walked away from a building or wall and then turned around and walked back, the hi res one would pop in.
That's how the texture streaming is supposed to work. I'm guessing for the infamous examples like Cloud's apartment door there's a particular execution error where a higher quality texture is never loaded for it, or it can't be in time and it just gives up and sticks with the low quality one. There could be any number of reasons for this happening.

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texture streaming certainly has seem problematic in past.
In new UE4 versions we have virtual texture support, so we may see better streaming with less memory used in future.
Yep. It's the same issue again and again.
What other Unreal Engine games NEVER load the higher quality versions of assets?
Unreal Engine has well known texture streaming issues. Happens all the time. Hidden Agenda, Days Gone, Man of Medan, etc. etc.

Jun 22, 2018
Yep. It's the same issue again and again.

Unreal Engine has well known texture streaming issues. Happens all the time. Hidden Agenda, Days Gone, Man of Medan, etc. etc.
Slow texture streaming is one thing. Consistently never loading a particular texture, no matter the circumstances is something different entirely.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not a "big" bug.

The game crashing and deleting all of your saves is a "big" bug.

The game not being completable because a script fails to fire after you kill a boss is a "big" bug.

Some textures not loading in at their highest resolutions 5% of the time is a very, very, very, very small bug.

Let me tell you what happened:
  1. This issue was spotted and reported independently by at least 3 separate testers.
  2. The Test Lead spotted the duplicates, tidied them into one issue "High res textures fail to load on certain objects", and fired off an IM reminding people to search the DB before reporting stuff.
  3. The issue got filed as one of 31 "Medium"s in the Lead's weekly report, a report which also included 3 Critical issues and 17 Highs, which he sent off to the Test Manager and the Producers. He stopped putting "Low"s on the reports ages ago because lol who the fuck looks at those.
  4. One of the Producers looked at the title of the issue and threw it on the "known shippable" pile without a second thought. The same thing happened to at least half of the Mediums and a couple of Highs.
This happens alllllll the time. Every game you have ever loved, ever hated, ever thought about for 5 seconds has hundreds if not thousands of "known shippable" issues.

Because when triaging the 437 open issues in the months leading up to release, it was decided that "Player characters can fall through the world while traversing Wall Market" and "Game freezes after defeating Scorpion Sentinel using Lightning" were more important to fix.

I'm sure if it were up to you they'd have made the textures prettier instead, and nobody at all would be complaining they didn't fix the other stuff.
I wish I could hug you right now.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is so noticeable throughout the game I thought it was intentional. Pastel looking flowers in Aeriths garden was so ugly.

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
I don't know this for sure because I haven't checked the credits, but I suspect the people who designed the overall level layouts (for eg) were not the same, so a lot of "if I could do that all again for scratch" lessons you learn when shipping a game can't be applied cleanly if you move onto a project for, say, the last year of development.

Article that Tetsuya Nomura had with Famitsu, talking about the engine switch due to rendering issues: https://www.polygon.com/2014/10/7/6938125/kingdoms-hearts-3-unreal-engine-4

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Damn if only Square had hired some of the people in this thread to bug fix their game from home... sounds like the game would've been even better than what Square Enix could put out at 100% of their capacity...

Hope there is an official patch to bug fix this. It's noticeable. But didn't take the shine of the game from me.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I dunno, I feel like we can recognize making games is hard while still wanting the game to look properly but who knows

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
We're in a pandemic.
Given that all the other SE teams have figured out how to work remotely in less time than the month and a half since this game released, and are able to push out updates and content despite that, is not an excuse to handwave away the complete silence and lack of acknowledgement of the issues from SE's side on this, nor the time spent before the game came out (before pandemic warnings and stuff even were treated seriously in japan) after it went gold when they're usually working on such things as day 1 patches, yet here we are almost 2 months later and nothing. This is not getting fixed, they have no reason to.

Edit: This isn't even their first try with UE4. They had devs also working on KH3, a game with none of the texture issues seen in this game.

Lucent

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the low res textures can be pretty jarring. Especially in daylight. Hopefully they'll eventually patch it. At the very least fix it for the PS5 port.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Given that all the other SE teams have figured out how to work remotely in less time than the month and a half since this game released, and are able to push out updates and content despite that, is not an excuse to handwave away the complete silence and lack of acknowledgement of the issues from SE's side on this, nor the time spent before the game came out (before pandemic warnings and stuff even were treated seriously in japan) after it went gold when they're usually working on such things as day 1 patches, yet here we are almost 2 months later and nothing. This is not getting fixed, they have no reason to.

Edit: This isn't even their first try with UE4. They had devs also working on KH3, a game with none of the texture issues seen in this game.
Right.

I understand there's a pandemic going on but this was a known issue to them long before the game was released and they chose not to acknowledge the issue in anyway. Square Enix like most developers ship games when they still have visual issues/imbalances however, with their track record of bad choices handling engines or whatever the issue is I doubt they'll go back and fix it like other developers would. Atleast not for this version of the game. Obviously this is an important game for a lot of people and wouldn't stop people's enjoyment because the game is amazing but on that same note I think it's totally reasonable for people to be just as annoyed as the finished product could have/should have been represented better, especially one of this magnitude.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The pandemic doesn't stop them from tweeting "Yes, we're aware of the issue and are working on a fix."

There wouldn't be nearly as much vitriol about it if they would at least acknowledge it.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I feel like that post is laying undue blame on UE4. My guess would be this is human error, not the fault of the engine.
Ehhhh, you'd be surprised how much fucky stuff UE4 does, especially with texture streaming and compression. A lot of which you cannot identify until everything is assembled and working together near end of production, which then causes a lot of issues in trying to fix said issues once identified too late.

Literally one character adjustment or texture scale can cause UE4 to down-sample even important textures. They could have just added another trinket on Clouds belt that then fucked with all the environments, but then the directors prioritize character streaming so its ignored or too tricky to fix.

Unreal is not as friendly as a lot of people like to think it is.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
Similar thing happens in Fire Emblem - Three Houses. The textures when you get close to a character are not as crisp as they could be.

I'm baffled as to how devs don't notice this stuff.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
The whole conversation around this issue is so asinine. The level of perfection people expect from developers combined with the absolute lack of empathy (note the race in this thread and elsewhere to point fingers, call devs inept, blame UE4, etc) is very frustrating to see. It's puddlegate all over again.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
The pandemic doesn't stop them from tweeting "Yes, we're aware of the issue and are working on a fix."

There wouldn't be nearly as much vitriol about it if they would at least acknowledge it.
But tweeting that can potentially lead to fans asking everyday when the patch's going to drop or demanding they hurry up with the patch, when probably the current situation has fucked up all internal schedules they had.

I think they're probably working on a patch, but far slower than they would in normal times, and with no ETA in sight.

May 18, 2018
Not that hard mode is really THAT hard since it's basically a new game plus, so you'll easily compensate the difficulty change.
I wish it was more like a DMC hard with more enemies instead of the same game.

Too bad about the texture bug btw, the whole sectors looks just dreadful, especially Aerith garden near her house, it looks bad even for early PS3 standard...
Hard mode was brutal especially the optional bosses. I clocked 22 hours on normal and finished hard mode at around 80 with plat.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Havent followed this game at all but just watching the DF footage Back at release it seemed like an obvious bug where textures werent properly loading.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
are the really bad backgrounds also a bug? You know the extremely noticeable ones when your climbing the wall..........that shit is very bad looking

Hard mode was brutal especially the optional bosses. I clocked 22 hours on normal and finished hard mode at around 80 with plat.

Hard mode wasn't too bad, i think my save was clocked 60 hours to plat. The optional arena bosses were super easy......because you didn't have to manage MP as much.............outside of the bosses actually hard mode was extremely dumb. They killed half the game basically......save mana and boss rush as much as you can. I wasn't very impressed and was happy when the platinum hunt was over so i could go back to actually enjoying the game on normal.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Unfortunate that this bug is here, but it definitely won't be an issue for the PC release of the game. So excited for that

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Can they fix the loading times to start a conversation?

*Fixed an issue where converstations takes several seconds to start by having the player install an SSD in their PS4.

Jokes aside, I think this is another streaming issue due to the low speeds of the HDD.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Several UE games on PS4 and other platforms don't have this issue. It's on Square Enix.
It's one thing to use a tool, it's another one to use it properly. Especially in software development.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm amazed at the number of developers and programmers in this thread explaining to us how Square Enix is crap. /s

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This whole issue is really blown out of proportion. Yeah, it's an issue, but it's a minor one. The game still looks gorgeous the majority of the time, and it's a top tier game for this gen. Hopefully it gets addressed, but I can't help but roll my eyes at everyone acting like it's game ruining. This isn't Bethesda shipped level of issues.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*Fixed an issue where converstations takes several seconds to start by having the player install an SSD in their PS4.

Jokes aside, I think this is another streaming issue due to the low speeds of the HDD.
This has never been a problem before in their previous games. It all sounds too conviniently if that's the case.