• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like this doesn't usually bother me but the textures in chapter 8 are beyond bad and completely breaks immersion. It's crazy how it's been over a month and not a single word.

this, nothing, like we take the check, and boom dissapear let's continue on the second game... it make me a little mad about all this.

yrcmlived

Jan 29, 2020
This is a very minor bug. During final days, devs are much more worried by real bugs that stop progress, break quests, delete savegame data, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm playing FF7R without any issue and before this post I always thinked that it was a choice maybe for the performance. In any case I'm not sure that we can call it "minor" bug.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like ignoring the game didn't get the day 1 patch that most games get the frame rate and most of the textures were fine at release. This really feels like one of those issues only a gaming forum would get dramatic over when..... Ya know we are in a fuckin pendemic

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
It's unfortunate that these texture problems exist, but considering the insane amount of content and assets this game has, not only models but also animations, audio, cutscenes and much more, this is really something that was probably the least of their problems.

And be aware that the team resposible is definitely sad and bummed that either these slipped away or that they couldn't fix them in time for shipping.

Getting a patch turned around for such a huge game in the midst of the Covid-19 situation is super difficult, specially since getting a big QA test team together with all the devkits at an office to playtest is now very much impossible.

leon9506

Aug 31, 2018
Have SE said anything about patching this?I still haven't played it but if they're gonna fix the texture I think I'm gonna wait a little more

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Have SE said anything about patching this?I still haven't played it but if they're gonna fix the texture I think I'm gonna wait a little more
Here's the latest statement:

www.bbc.com

Coronavirus: State of emergency lifted in most of Japan

Coronavirus infections fall in much of the country, but Tokyo and Osaka remain under emergency order.

The order still applies in Tokyo, Osaka and on the northern island of Hokkaido, where new cases are emerging daily.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, I never noticed the apartment door while playing, because you spend so little time in/around the apartment. The more egregious issue was the slums skybox early on in the game when you have to turn of the lights. Holy hell, that skybox was terrible.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Man, I can't even begin to imagine how heartbreaking this must be for the people in the team. :( Hopefully it can be patched eventually.

I understand that part but I'm more shocked that we didn't even get a press statement or anything. I'm starting to think any plans for a patch are being scrapped and the team is just gonna go full steam ahead on part 2's development.

This is a programming issue that could probably be fixed by a programmer that's not in the team, so that's not necessarily an issue.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
It def is a mipmap/LOD issue. You can force a material in us4 to use smaller mipmaps by changing the LOD bias which will give you the same result as the door.

Obviously this is more technical and sounds to be common among PS4 UE4 titles for some reason

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Here's the latest statement:

www.bbc.com

Coronavirus: State of emergency lifted in most of Japan

Coronavirus infections fall in much of the country, but Tokyo and Osaka remain under emergency order.
Not to downplay the impact of the pandemic, but Square Enix's huge office building in Higashi Shinjuku is alive and kicking. It was closed for little more than 4 weeks, 2 of which coincided with Golden Week, which consists of public holidays and is a normal time for employees to take leave.

Unlike some other Japanese companies who actually made an effort, Square deserves little praise in its response to the virus outbreak. Their response came after an employee tested positive for COVID-19, and the government implemented the state of emergency.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
iirc any kind of patch will still need to be QA approved by Sony no? things are probably quite affected by COVID.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
TBH, while I have noticed some awful textures, it hasn't ruined my enjoyment of the game. I've been playing on a 6 series (2018) 55 inch TCL set (one of the best back for buck TVs with solid HDR), sitting 8-9 ft away, and wasn't really distracted too much by the textures. I'm using an SSD in my PS4 Pro. It was mainly when running up close to certain objects was the pop-in and terrible textures apparent. The thing is, I spent most of my time playing through the game and focusing on the actions and characters on screen, especially in some of the last chapters where everything is turned up 100x and some of the environments are stunning.

While a patch would be great for the 2nd playthrough, it wouldn't ruin my life if it were to never come.

One thing though that I did encounter was a bug in Chapter 16, which is signigicantly more important and should probably be fixed sooner than later:

When you're crawling through the air ducts and view converations through the vents, the game will not allow you to go back after pressing "circle" as indicated on the screen. I tried this on both air ducts and the same exact bug happened. Luckily I had saved before doing this part so I was able to easily go back, but looking online there are plenty of others who encountered the same bug and lost like an 1 hour+ of progress

I hope that for part II, that they resolve this issue and leverage the engine to the best of their ability because there are plenty of my stunning environments in FF7.

Last edited:

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol the Cloud door is the Lightning Returns dog of this generation.

But looking forward to replaying it on my SSD driven PC next year to see the difference.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
probably because it's not a very big deal and grown adults should learn to be patient.
There's nothing childish about wondering why Square couldn't just say a PR version of "hey yeah we noticed something's wrong, it may be a while sorry". It doesn't bother me enough but I can see why people are wondering why nothing has been said.

We can be patient and Square can also just keep us in the loop, these two things don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
probably because it's not a very big deal and grown adults should learn to be patient.
It is definitely a big deal. Some parts of the game look straight-up unfinished. It's perfectly legitimate to like the game in spite of a major graphical flaw. I love it and the game delivers stunning graphical highs regardless. But the lows are super damn low as well. Grown companies should learn to fix major issues like these before release. Let's not start with the "consumers expecting finished products that work as intended are entitled" rhetoric.

And if a pandemic hits out of nowhere and they NEED to make the release date to sell as much as possible before shit hits the fan, that's totally alright. Everyone will understand that. Just acknowledge you know the issue exists and will work on sorting it out as soon as you're able. It doesn't need to be soon. Like I mentioned before, FFXIV has seen significant delays to its content release schedule and the team was perfectly transparent about it, and about their poor WFH infrastructure that they're working to improve. And everyone understood it because, like you said, we're all grown adults here.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The npc pop in is insane. Days gone is the most recent ue4 game I've played and that's got way more things going on screen and doesn't have that bad pop in. I really hope the first patch prioritizes fixing these texture and pop in issues, or atleast make them not so obvious.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems the main thing that people are asking is at the very least the acknowledge the bug now that's it 1 month+ after release.

I don't think that this is unreasonable considering how high profile it is of game.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's the case. Kingdom Hearts 3 also uses Unreal Engine 4 as well.
I don't know this for sure because I haven't checked the credits, but I suspect the people who designed the overall level layouts (for eg) were not the same, so a lot of "if I could do that all again for scratch" lessons you learn when shipping a game can't be applied cleanly if you move onto a project for, say, the last year of development.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
This is the EXACT reason why I was sitting there, watching the UE5 announcement and thinking "You fucker, you really want to make me believe games will look like this without any pop-ins, streaming or texture loading problems which UE is famous for with UE3 and still 4, lol, piss off."

As, f'n, if.

Also, problems like this aren't too bad when you can patch it but for whatever reason, this game never got any patch (last checked 2 weeks ago or so) which also includes no day one patch, zero. That's f'n crazy to me, not in general, but specially when games have such obvious problems.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
The issue with this particular set of textures (and honestly plenty of other textures in the slums) is very simple. It was never meant to be looked at so up close.

XWnlIdo.png

From an average gameplay distance the mountain of trash looks perfectly okay. Up close detail in the game is a serious issue and I don't think it has anything to do with texture loading bugs.
That looks like shit even on my phone at only a few inches tall

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
A 1KB patch would trigger PS4 to create a brand new copy of the very large FF7R installation to keep it nicely defragmented. That would require a lot of free space and wasted time if someone just want to boot the game immediately after downloading a patch.

Square is maybe trying to avoid this.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I am willing to wait a few months to if it's fixable, and if it's not that's fine too and I'll carry on but a heads up on the state of things would be cool.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
The issue with this particular set of textures (and honestly plenty of other textures in the slums) is very simple. It was never meant to be looked at so up close.

XWnlIdo.png

From an average gameplay distance the mountain of trash looks perfectly okay. Up close detail in the game is a serious issue and I don't think it has anything to do with texture loading bugs.

No offense but that looks like a pile of garbage.

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This gives me hope for the PC version, with adjustable quality settings and all... I'll be saving my replay for that.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah I don't think any of the sector 5 or 6 slums looks good at all. Wall Market looks fine at night.

Like I probably would have less issue with it if Aerith and Cloud in the screenshot above also looked like PS3 character models. It's seen these incredible models next to low poly and low res objects which destroys the illusion for me.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

XWnlIdo.png

That ground texture and minimal use of Anisotropic Filtering also looks pretty damn bad. Is the ground far away during average gameplay distance too?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Yeah… these textures are pretty horrible, but overall the game looks and plays phenomenally. There were a few sections that were rough, but given the scale/scope of things it's pretty easy to forgive it. If they can fix it eventually great, but it's not like it hampered my experience.

Maybe it'll get patched in once they release the "complete" edition with all chapters in a single game.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Dunno what you're talking about, the ground looks fine.

OYcTGVQ.jpg

Back in march I said "I will wait for the PS5 version, just in case".

I had only experienced the demo, saw a bit of pop in (nothing major) and lower than I would like CGI compression. I decided to wait for the obvious boost in IQ that next gen would bring.

Seeing all of this just justifies my decision 9000%. This is such a big game for me that I cant just play through it with the current contrast of "best of the best models" running on top of "Final X textures looked better...on the PS2" ground.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I need news that this will be patched.
On PS5 they will.
FF7: Remake is a great game with great production values but technically it's run of the mill (minus these weird issues). It's largely a corridor 30fps game, I doubt it's pushing against any serious hardware limits. This is very likely a human error or final build scripting error of some kind.
I think it's in order to keep a steady framerate. That's all.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This guy is talking out of his ass. Of course they didn't ship the game with awful textures, and there's some texture streaming issues going on behind the scenes. I thought that was obvious.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost certain a "day one patch" was in development but was delayed indefinetely.
At least framerate is extremely stable.

I really doubt the game was designed with next gen in mind considering all those "squeeze through that gap while we load the next area" parts.