• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Happy isn't being literal. Happy is grieving and struggling to contain his own emotions. The film isn't promoting unhealthy eating at all. That's a crazy take.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
tWRsi6N.png

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
*kid at her own father's funeral, mentioning a food that has thematic significance of her father's return home and the beginning of his redemption*

Happy: "Uh actually you shouldn't be having that because American dietary epidemics are a matter of utmost importance, and curbing such attitudes towards food nutrition and consumption should be central educational talking points."

Holy shit, OP. Did you need a fucking warning label on this or something?

EloNoolah

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, the post-credits scene where she gorges herself to death on cheeseburgers was in really poor taste. Not sure how the Russos got away with that one.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
OP, what if Tony and Pepper had always been feeding her cheeseburgers with veggie or tofu patties? They lived in a cabin by a lake in the woods, what if he was being self sufficient and grew healthy food for his family?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
You've got a scene with kids looking at the Hulk eating like 50 pancakes, Ant Man trying to eat a taco, and Thor drinking himself into obesity and depression, but the fucking funeral scene where just the mention of cheeseburgers to a grieving little girl prompts this thread?

God, I love Era.

OP
OP
LL_Decitrig

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
You just had to spread your crazy outside of the Endgame OT, didn't you?

Also, you are not engaging with people nearly as much as in the other thread.

Be patient. It took me a while to set up this new thread and provide the link to it in the original thread. By the time I got arrive to replying here there were umpteen new posts, most of which are ignorable but I don't want to put anybody on ignore solely because of their comments on this thread because that would be self serving.

I put a couple of people on ignore today but I'm removing them all now. Consider this to be the "I find the burger reference in Endgame unfortunate, Ask Me Anything" thread.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
"Your planet was on the brink of collapse. I was the one who stopped that. You know what's happened since then? The children born have known nothing but all the cheeseburgers they want and clear skies. It's a paradise."

"In all my years of veganism, the exercise, dieting, it was never personal. But I'll tell you now, what I'm about to do to your fatty greasy giant cheeseburgers, I'm going to enjoy it. Very very much."

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP, can you seriously not pick up on context sufficiently to read that scene as something other than just encouraging a kid to eat?

Do you not understand the response to grief or that that is a gentle expression of love and generosity and not some sick attempt to fatten up a little girl?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Whole reason Happy choked up when she asked for a cheeseburger was because that's the first thing Tony asked Happy to do for him when he got back from being a prisoner.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Morgan: "I want a cheeseburger."

Happy: "You know your dad liked cheeseburgers. And now he's dead. What does that tell you?"

Morgan: "But he was fighting --"

Happy: "He's fucking dead, Morgan."

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope in Far from home they eat like shit THE ENTIRE FILM just to infuriate the OP.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
It's funny because when I was a teen my mom was in the ICU from an overdose, one of my dad's coworkers showed up and took my brother and I out for a cheeseburger to give us a break from our grief. He offered to do it any time we needed a break and wanted someone to talk to.

It was a small gesture that temporarily took away the pressure of impossible grief and temporarily lessened its burden and let us know that there were adults that cared about us.

You're overanalyzing a simple throwaway callback, OP.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
The "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Catcher in the Rye" line in the OP and the comment about changing an wikipedia article have me convinced this is a troll thread.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
OP has to be a joke because I don't see how someone could function day to day if it's not.

Oct 25, 2017
This place rarely surprises me anymore with unfathomable threads, but this has taken the cake. I can't see a way this is a real concern from someone.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I think LL_Decitrig 's concern regarding obesity and processed food in general is totally valid. And since he explicitly states his concern with Endgame is minor, that he loves the movie and understands the scene is moving and poignant, etc., I think many people are overreacting in their responses.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I think LL_Decitrig 's concern regarding obesity and processed food in general is totally valid. And since he explicitly states his concern with Endgame is minor, that he loves the movie and understands the scene is moving and poignant, etc., I think many people are overreacting in their responses.

No this is literally manufacturing narratives out of thin air from scenes which have no bearing to the narratives which are actually true

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
"Your planet was on the brink of collapse. I was the one who stopped that. You know what's happened since then? The children born have known nothing but all the cheeseburgers they want and clear skies. It's a paradise."

"Little one, it's a simple calculus. Your body's metabolism is finite, it's resources finite. If cheeseburgers are left unchecked, life without obesity will cease to exist. It needs correction."

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

It's a complete asspull. It completely ignores the context of the scene.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, are you serious, OP?!

In the German version of the movie he says "Du bekommst so viel gesundes Gemüse wie du willst, Kleiner" which translates to "I'll get you as much healthy vegetables as you want, kid."

Did he seriously mention Burgers in the American version?! Wow. Just... WOW. Why not just buy him a bottle of Budweiser and a M16 while they are at it?! You crazy Americans.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Withholding junk food from your children does no good. It's better to teach them moderation, otherwise they will get exposed to junk food at some point in life and won't know how to deal with it. It's like teaching abstinence only sex education.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, are you serious, OP?!

In the German version of the movie he says "Du bekommst so viel gesundes Gemüse wie du willst, Kleiner" which translates to "I'll get you as much healthy vegetables as you want, kid."

Did he seriously mention Burgers in the American version?! Wow. Just... WOW. Why not just buy him a bottle of Budweiser and a M16 while they are at it?! You crazy Americans.

Agreed. Absolutely SHAMEFUL. Might as well give the kid a suitcase nuke.

(Funny comment, BTW. Good job.)

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
But he understands and explicitly acknowledges the context of the scene.?

These scene is very poignant and is very moving to most fans. But I'm worried about this because of what it says to me, as an experienced parent who has witnessed the growth of childhood obesity over nearly six decades, about the public awareness of obesity.

It's not promoting unhealthy eating or childhood obesity in any way. To say so would be calling for banning all unhealthy foods - even just mentions - from popular media no matter the context.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just trying to imagine OP securing his pre sale tickets, waiting for a month to see the conclusion of a 21 movie arc, finally get to opening day, sit through 3h of pure fan service and emotional callbacks, and the only thing that he could think of is how upsetting it is that a kid gets promised a couple cheeseburgers. We're witnessing Shakespeare reborn here.

Dead.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Be before reading this thread

"Oh god, another Fat Thor thread"

Me after reading OP

"What the fuck"

Status
Not open for further replies.