• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
R9JtwhG.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxUaUU4Heg

Wow, it's interesting!

This is the anime that is supposed to be Trigger's spiritual successor to Gurren Lagann. Definitely looks like a clone of Kamina for the main character. The style looks pretty pleasing, though it seems to rely a lot on CG from the look of the teaser.

Last edited:

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
Always up for an Imaishi/Nakashima joint. Surprised it's a movie, hopefully there isn't too long of a wait for an American release

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see what has changed from the first visual tease.

R3rG4Vb.jpg

The mech was way more bulky looking and the main character's weapon was more like a buster sword.
I'm glad they kept those massive shorts though. I'm kind of loving how it seems to be focused on some kind of emergency response crew.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have trouble watching their shows but man, I love their art design.
Gonna love watching the behind the scenes stuff at the very least.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Imaishi's style really shining bright through here. The animation is so Dead Leaves-y, I love it.

Big fan of Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill so always happy to see Imaishi and Nakashima teaming up again.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Looking really great. Art direction is pretty gorgeous.

Interesting to see what has changed from the first visual tease.

R3rG4Vb.jpg

The mech was way more bulky looking and the main character's weapon was more like a buster sword.
I'm glad they kept those massive shorts though. I'm kind of loving how it seems to be focused on some kind of emergency response crew.

I think that grinning thing is actually the villain, not the main character's mech. I remember people who saw the first footage at Anime Expo saying his mech looked very Gurren Lagann-esque, with a face on the chest and such; might be closer to the one seen briefly at 0:27.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think that grinning thing is actually the villain, not the main character's mech. I remember people who saw the first footage at Anime Expo saying his mech looked very Gurren Lagann-esque, with a face on the chest and such; might be closer to the one seen briefly at 0:27.
Heh, I actually didn't say in my post that it was the MC's mech(just said MC's weapon).

Yeah, I bet the MC's mech's color scheme will be more like his weapon's colors. Tbh his weapon itself actually looks like a little robot on a stick lol, I bet it looks pretty similar or even just transforms into the mech from his weapon.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a fucking Klaxosaur on the back and the Spear looks like something the Strelitzia from Darling in the FranXX would use. Looks good tho.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This thing just isn't going to be Gurren Lagann and I think that's what's going to be its undoing.
I'm a bit more optimistic than that about it. As long as it isn't loaded with *shoulder nudge* "hey, remember Gurren Lagann??" references we should be gold. The world looks unique enough in comparison anyways. The closest things so far in the teaser to GL are the Kamina stand-in and how the CG mechs/monsters seem to have a similar feel and look to the anti-spiral ships that attack earth at the start of the second arc.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I actually didn't say in my post that it was the MC's mech(just said MC's weapon).

Yeah, I bet the MC's mech's color scheme will be more like his weapon's colors. Tbh his weapon itself actually looks like a little robot on a stick lol, I bet it looks pretty similar or even just transforms into the mech from his weapon.

Oh, whoops! Guess I assumed that's what you were saying.

And nice catch on his weapon--it really does look like a little robot on the top there.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It looks good, though I wish the main character's design looked more distinctive.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed this would be a show rather than a movie. Still excited.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It looks good, though I wish the main character's design looked more distinctive.
I think the issue is more so he looks way more generic in the keyart than he does in the actual animation. He looks dope as hell in the movie itself. Maybe the other issue is his design is too simple? It's good but its a lot of flat color with no detail. I like the emergency response motif though, what little clothes he has on kind of looks firefighter-inspired.
Oh, whoops! Guess I assumed that's what you were saying.

And nice catch on his weapon--it really does look like a little robot on the top there.
I think I worded it in a way that it sounded like both his weapon and his mech, so I totally got how you'd think that.
And yah I really want to see that robo in full form now, I could totally see it being a neat little unit like a Lagann type thing lol

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a necrobump(please forgive the double post) because Trigger has been posting some character concepts for this on their twitter.
eya2a0q.jpg

Aj0g7Lc.jpg

VUMc73r.jpg

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The color scheme reminds me of PSG's backgrounds/CG scenes oddly enough. It's a departure from Imaishi's usual I feel.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
More concepts went up on twitter this week! Including the villain force?
DvQEL7MVsAIDDGL.jpg:large

DvViQ-zU0AENLBb.jpg:large

DvciKZmUUAALiOW.jpg

DvfgriyVAAEcjV7.jpg:large

Here is what the tweet about Mad Burnish says if translated:
Mad burnishing manipulate the flame is ignited from the human body, which was born by mutation to freely race <burnish> aggressive populations. It escapes isolation in the autonomous republic Promepolis, repeats arson and crime.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Double-post, but I saw the Promare Twitter account tweeted out an official translation for the villains' profile.

Character-07 "MAD BURNISH" A group of hostile mutants who are able to create and control fire. While escaping confinment, Mad Burnish wreaks havoc to the people of Promepolis.