• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While I agree Forza Horizon isn't the best showcase for this. I don't see the delay

Look at the video in the OP:

At 3:54 she is braking. It's almost instant.

Don't you agree?

u keep hanging on to one instance of break meanwhile the rest of handling is with a noticeable delay . If the game plays like that then it was a bad decision for MS to choose this title to show how little lag there is since there are tons of it. hence a bad showing for the tech .thats what they are talking about.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
It does not seem right her movements did not seem to match up, she does not even seem to be holding the trigger to accelerate (but I might be wrong!)
As an experiment I have just remote played DriveClub and there did not seem to be as much of disparity between my hand movement and what is presented on my phone screen, same with Dirt 4 on PS Now.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Sure, but you can't disregard how unresponsive with the sticks it looks.

Haha, I just tested it while playing Forza Horizon 4. Cars don't respond that much when you lightly tap the stick like that. So now you are saying that 1 second of the clip was responsive, but the other 59 seconds were unresponsive? How does that work?

u keep hanging on to one instance of break meanwhile the rest of handling is with a noticeable delay . If the game plays like that then it was a bad decision for MS to choose this title to show how little lag there is since there are tons of it. hence a bad showing for the tech .thats what they are talking about.

How can the braking be instant, but the steering not be?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Haha, I just tested it while playing Forza Horizon 4. Cars don't respond that much when you lightly tap the stick like that. So now you are saying that 1 second of the clip was responsive, but the other 59 seconds were unresponsive? How does that work?

How can the braking be instant, but the steering not be?
even braking is not that instant.its better than rest(which is really bad) but nothing to write home about imo.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but you can't disregard how unresponsive with the sticks it looks.
i mentioned this in the general "xbox studios thread" but this demo, and the way it was played (3rd person, flicking the sticks) literally could have been done specifically to make gauging lag very difficult. or, conversely, if it is fake (i think thats unlikely btw) this would be a way to play it and have it look close enough - since you cant for the most part see her controller input reflected on screen.

the braking is the best indicator we have that it was real AND that the lag looks fairly minimal

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's kind of funny that after it's shown that the video is real and that there really isn't much lag, the narrative has shifted to that it's bad marketing. It doesn't really matter how it looks in a video, all that matters is that it works because everyone is going to be able to try it for themselves.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How are we derailing the thread? We are discussing the topic.
u focus on 0.5 second of that demo while i focus on the other 59.5 second of the demo.our discussion is not aligned hence the derailing .anyways this is beta and it can be improved even if it is laggy(which we are not even sure about due to bad showing).

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Looks real to me, she is just feathering the steering and theres some input lag. When you touch the stick over in a driving game, the car doesnt make a 90 degree slam into a wall.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Still very much convinced this was fake, been watching all the clips and GIFs repeatedly and I can't see any point where her inputs convincingly match up to anything happening on-screen, so it's either acted or an extremely bad demo. They picked the worst possible game to show off this tech, though I suspect that was intentional; if they'd gone with a platformer or shooter, I imagine the latency and/or fakery would be much more obvious. Naturally I want this tech to actually work and for it to be useful, but on this occasion it really didn't show.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
u focus on 0.5 second of that demo while i focus on the other 59.5 second of the demo.our discussion is not aligned hence the derailing .anyways this is beta and it can be improved even if it is laggy(which we are not even sure about due to bad showing).

Alright. Let's focus on the other part of the demo. Could you tell me what second I have to look to see the noticeable latency? I don't see it.

I do see a terrible demo in regards to choice of game, choice of track and choice of player (No hard feelings Julia).

Still very much convinced this was fake, been watching all the clips and GIFs repeatedly and I can't see any point where her inputs convincingly match up to anything happening on-screen, so it's either acted or an extremely bad demo. They picked the worst possible game to show off this tech, though I suspect that was intentional; if they'd gone with a platformer or shooter, I imagine the latency and/or fakery would be much more obvious. Naturally I want this tech to actually work and for it to be useful, but on this occasion it really didn't show.

Do you agree that the braking lines up with her left hand movement at 3.54 in the video? There is some latency, but it's not that extreme. Faking that would be really difficult.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
i mentioned this in the general "xbox studios thread" but this demo, and the way it was played (3rd person, flicking the sticks) literally could have been done specifically to make gauging lag very difficult. or, conversely, if it is fake (i think thats unlikely btw) this would be a way to play it and have it look close enough - since you cant for the most part see her controller input reflected on screen.

the braking is the best indicator we have that it was real AND that the lag looks fairly minimal
Yeah, if that's how the game controls normally then they should have used another game to showcase the service.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Alright. Let's focus on the other part of the demo. Could you tell me what second I have to look to see the noticeable latency? I don't see it.

I do see a terrible demo in regards to choice of game, choice of track and choice of player (No hard feelings Julia).
if you are not noticing how unresponsive the controller is,then i can not help you.sorry. they whole damn time it is so unresponsive to a degree that many believe its fake

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Finally the big boys Microsoft and Google is about to deliver what true no latency game streaming is supposed to be. Can't wait.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of funny that after it's shown that the video is real and that there really isn't much lag, the narrative has shifted to that it's bad marketing. It doesn't really matter how it looks in a video, all that matters is that it works because everyone is going to be able to try it for themselves.

1) thats because "the narrative" doesnt exist. you are equating many opinions and views as one.

2) of course it matters how it looks in a video. the point of announcing with a video is to show it off. you cant gauge much from off screen footage of a game being (purposely?) played to mask lag.

3) of course we'll get to play it ourselves and that will of course be the ultimate test

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
if you are not noticing how unresponsive the controller is,then i can not help you.sorry. they whole damn time it is so unresponsive to a degree that many believe its fake

I don't think the control is unresponsive. I think the way she taps the sticks is how you can keep your car in a semi straight line in an arcade racing game like Forza Horizon 4. Your great friend is right:

Yeah, if that's how the game controls normally then they should have used another game to showcase the service.

The problem is that Forza Horizon isn't a great game to show this (or it is if they are afraid of showing latency) when driving on a relatively straight road.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think the control is unresponsive. I think the way she taps the sticks is how you can keep your car in a semi straight line in an arcade racing game like Forza Horizon 4. Your great friend is right:

The problem is that Forza Horizon isn't a great game to show this (or it is if they are afraid of showing latency) when driving on a relatively straight road.
OT but why is he my great friend? no offence to saint-14 but we rarely communicate lol

so if they chose this title to showcase it while knowing there is lag in controls, they made a bad decision.hence people called it not a great showing for a new tech

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
OT but why is he my great friend? no offence to saint-14 but we rarely communicate lol
so if they chose this title to showcase it while knowing there is lag in controls, they made a bad decision.hence people called it not a great showing for a new tech

A little jab. ;)

Agree. Wonder if they chose it for the graphics. Or because it was a save option since the delay is still noticeable

Feb 10, 2018

There is not lag in the controls though.
And unless anyone can prove there is, it is just spreading misinformation.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
The amount of latency in that demo is probably easier to see if you've used streaming services before.

I guess it's cool that they're showing off something that's realistic at the moment.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I already see latency comparisons between cloud gaming services, becoming a regular topic on Digital Foundry.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I think it is pretty clear that she is really playing this, but there is definitely visible latency at play. Even the brake light at 3:54 doesn't come on until after her finger is fully off of the trigger.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Like I said earlier, the presentation was not handled well (aggravatingly so), but the actual responsiveness appears ok based on the brake lights:

input6fji3.gif

Feb 10, 2018

In forza when you turn, it's not 1.1, unless you make a sharp turn.
And this tech does work, PSNow and nvidia show this.

Yeah its like a 4th of a second delay

About in line with other streaming services then.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So they decided to add wireless connexion both for the game part AND the controller part. I think she is playing, but the delay must be awful.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
So they decided to add wireless connexion both for the game part AND the controller part. I think she is playing, but the delay must be awful.

That's pretty standard for all the streaming services, if they work outside of a LAN/WAN. It wouldn't be any less responsive than using a wireless mouse in that context.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I would do a "hard" frame count, but it's honestly really tricky seeing red-on-red without contrast from motion.

Use the top brake light, it's red on black and much easier to see. I count 11 frames from when she clearly releases the trigger to when the brake light goes off. That's around 366ms latency since this is a 30fps video.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol

Laggy or just not playing it

And it looked nothing like when I play it on my xb1x. Such a lack of detail

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It woudl be weird for MS not to have Scandinavia as one of the first places to launch it due to how fast Internet speeds here are and how Internet is basically seen as a human right here.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Do you agree that the braking lines up with her left hand movement at 3.54 in the video? There is some latency, but it's not that extreme. Faking that would be really difficult.

I see her hitting L trigger, and the car does slow down several beats after she does that, but I don't feel like this is enough to suggest she's in control tbh. I would say that this is the closest instance of any of her inputs matching up to the action on-screen, but there's still too much time between her hitting the button and the game responding for me to be convinced, sorry. Even if she was just blatantly mashing random buttons, at least a handful of them would appear to be in sync. The way she uses the controller is so erratic, I don't know anyone who plays Forza like that.

In forza when you turn, it's not 1.1, unless you make a sharp turn.

Sure, it's never going to be 1:1, that wouldn't be realistic, but there's at least some visible reaction to the analogue sticks; in this I can't see any at all.

Next time, try a TT game.

Please no :P

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe there's something in her contract with GT Sport that means she has to play Forza like that.

A racing game is a very good test for streaming service so it will be interesting to see how it goes.