• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Backstab your friends across multiple platforms! Other Ocean is proud to announce that Project Winter will be available on Xbox Game Pass for console and PC on January 26, 2021.

Project Winter is a 5-8 person multiplayer game focused on social deception and survival. Players are stranded in the frozen wilderness and must call in an escape before they meet an untimely demise. The majority of players will load into the game as survivors, but some will be randomly selected to be traitors. Only the traitors will know each other's roles, the survivors must be vigilant while figuring out who the traitors are. Survivors must gather resources, repair objectives, and brave the wilderness together - but beware of the traitors within the group who will be steadily gaining strength as the match progresses and whose only goal is to stop the survivors by any means necessary. Communication and teamwork are essential to the survivors' ultimate goal of escape.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
And two days later, Tripping Dudes will also be added, a multiplayer game about going through an obstacle course with friends and foes.
In February, Afraid of Spirits, a game about going through haunted homes trying to contact spirits, which are totally not ghosts.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I hope people realize this has been around before Among Us was popular or Fall Guys was made. Its been about 2 years.

Last edited:

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I get why people are making Among Us comments, but the game (while released in 2018), didn't even cross anybody's radar until 2020. Project Winter was clearly in development prior to the cultural phenomenon of Among Us, and I seriously doubt it was inspired by the game. Mafia as a social game has been around forever, so maybe we should consider this game on its own merit and not boiling it down to a direct comparison of another game?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I'm aware it's not new either but my point was that this game in no way was influenced by Among Us. Among Us was unknown in 2018, they didn't decide to make a game and copy an unpopular game.

True enough, but they're very much going to be competing in the same space. Also you said "this game has been around longer than Among Us" (wrong) not "this game in no way was influenced by Among Us" (maybe).

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
True enough, but they're very much going to be competing in the same space. Also you said "this game has been around longer than Among Us" (wrong) not "this game wasn't influenced by Among Us" (maybe).
That's fair, I misspoke, I had meant that this game has been in development since before Among Us was popular. (Definitely)

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I have about 56-60 hour in this game on PC. its a lot of fun, but the community is pretty small. Hopefully console will help grow the game.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
It's all just lifted from Halo 3 customs on Foundry anyway. And Clue.
Nah these games are all directly inspired by the recentish wave of really popular Social Deduction board games which themselves were inspired by Mafia, a game invented in the 80s. The most direct comparison would be the newer stuff like Resistance, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Secret Hitler, Two Rooms and a Boom etc.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
And two days later, Tripping Dudes will also be added, a multiplayer game about going through an obstacle course with friends and foes.
In February, Afraid of Spirits, a game about going through haunted homes trying to contact spirits, which are totally not ghosts.
Underrated post.

AU didn't invent the genre either though.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Nah these games are all directly inspired by the recentish wave of really popular Social Deduction board games which themselves were inspired by Mafia, a game invented in the 80s. The most direct comparison would be the newer stuff like Resistance, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Secret Hitler, Two Rooms and a Boom etc.

I mean, Clue's from the '40s *shrugs*

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The developers were really awesome and gave us a bunch of codes for the team at XboxEra to get some games in before the console launch. Our thoughts are below here (in the absence of a review thread) - TL;DR - It's really good.

Thank for sharing! Looks really fun. I'm going to try to get a group of my friends together this weekend to play!

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Thank for sharing! Looks really fun. I'm going to try to get a group of my friends together this weekend to play!
Yup, I'm actually jumping on tonight with a few pals, who will likely have a few beers in hand. It's going to be a good laugh.

They allow custom lobbies with passwords which is neat. The Blackout DLC is worth a look too.

Do you need voice chat?

Yes. In game chat is absolutely integral to the whole experience.

Last edited: