• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Here is primer from article what the game is about, more in the source.

Back in 2016, The Outsiders gave us our first glimpse of Project Wight, an action-fantasy game where the tables are flipped and players assume the role of a Grendel-like creature being hunted by humans. After a few years of relative silence outside the announcement of a publisher relationshipthat has since fizzled, the studio is ready to share the game's real title: Darkborn.

In Darkborn, you play a fearsome beast capable of wanton brutality, but you're not necessarily the predator. From the outset, The Outsiders wanted to reverse the power fantasy and make you the marginalized hunted rather than the hunter. "We always center our experience in our own perspectives," says creative director David Goldfarb. "I thought it would be interesting to look at it from the position of a monster who is, in this case, innocent and not the typical threat. What would happen if you were the one being persecuted and the people were the ones who were ruining your habitat and murdering your family? What would that mean and what's that journey like? That to me is really interesting."

Darkborn puts you in the role of one of these creatures being senselessly slaughtered by The Pale Enemy. This band of Viking-like marauders hunt down the Darkborn, torture them, and perform blood rituals with their corpses. Over the course of the game, you play multiple generations of these Darkborn as you learn the motivations for their bloodshed and exact revenge on those who have harmed your kin.
https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2019/04/01/project-wight-reemerges-as-darkborn

Gameplay can be found from the link, will embed youtube when available: https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2019/04/01/project-wight-reemerges-as-darkborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXa0FlYQGMU

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Thread not getting much traction it seems, it looks good!

BTW, this is being published by Private Division, so it's likely that it will be an Epic Store exclusive, though the game is still probably a while off so can't really tell.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That looks dope as all hell.

I am in day zero.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting to watch this until I'm at home with the big screen and headphones, but I'm damn excited to see this after all the teasing we got.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Really makes you wonder why there is such a lack of games that let you play as a monster

Looks fun

Clever Gato

Oct 28, 2017
Combat seems to need more work, but other than that, I might consider buying it once it hits Steam.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
seems interesting if extreeeeeemely shallow. It doesn't show any way to interact with the world other than murder. I hope these noble murder beasts will be able to get revenge on the human murder beasts for being murdered and murder murder death death

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
eck, this looks pretty terrible. stiff, awkward, and shallow. Its a great idea, hope they have a lot of time to polish it before release!

fiskyfisko

Mar 23, 2018
As I said in the other thread, this looks so much like AvP Alien campaign which is good I love those games.

I hope they fix those combat animations tho, it's really meh.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
When was the last time a game with monster protagonist had major success? It's always either a human or a cutesy mascot.It's just too hard for players to see themselves as a monster ( funny that players seem having no problem play as monstrous human characters. )

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
When was the last time a game with monster protagonist had major success? It's always either a human or a cutesy mascot.It's just too hard for players to see them self as a monster ( funny that players seem having no problem play as monstrous human characters. )

Plot twist: WE are the walking de... nope, wrong franchise... WE are the monster!

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thread not getting much traction it seems, it looks good!

BTW, this is being published by Private Division, so it's likely that it will be an Epic Store exclusive, though the game is still probably a while off so can't really tell.

I don't think that's the case anymore, according to Game Informer's article: "After a few years of relative silence outside the announcement of a publisher relationship that has since fizzled, the studio is ready to share the game's real title: Darkborn."

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to watch the footage later, but I'm down for more games were you don't just play a person.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
i dont know why but hearing the voice gave me a lot flashbacks to Hellblade. not a bad thing! interested to see how this shapes up.

ChatonPute

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of the feeling you had in the first Aliens Vs Predator FPS while playing the Alien.
Anyway, this looks too stressfull for me

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Yeah, looks interesting but they need to improve those attack animations, like a lot.. and I hoped that we play as a bad monster, not as a monster that is going after the bigger monster - humans :D

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the look of this, but, jeez, that name. They really wanted to add another entry to the endless list of games that start with the word 'Dark'? Darksiders, Darkstalkers, Dark Sector, Dark Void, Dark Cloud, Dark Messiah. Hell, Dark Souls and Bloodborne. What were they thinking here? Project Wight was a hell of a lot more memorable.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Im hesitant to believe playing a monster will have more of an impact than in control, because killing humans isnt some outrageous thing in gaming. The gameplay video keeps me interested but looks a lot like a shallow, strategy-less version of the Alien from AvsP from 98

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
That looks... like they're trying.

Don't like the visual design on the monster(s).

The basic melee attacks, from both the player and enemies, look weird.

The graphical style in general strikes me as... I don't want to say generic, but yeah.

Oct 2, 2018
wut. wow! This game is right up my alley. Amazing. Day 1!!!

the combat looks a bit weird tho. Hope they can make it engaging? Maybe its the FPS view that makes it strange.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
The premise is great but nothing I saw looked... particularly good? The stealth was super basic, while the combat looked genuinely awful, like Skyrim-level bad.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks okay I guess.
I didn't expect you to be grown up that quickly.

My biggest issue is not the janky looking combat but the english voice over. I dunno, I feel like when you play a monster you shouldn't have a british lady talking to you.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming always had this quirk of treating helmets like they're part of the head.