• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Publisher Crunching Koalas and developer Buckshot Software will release retro first-person shooter Project Warlock for PlayStation 4 on June 9, Switch on June 11, and Xbox One on June 12 for $14.99, the companies announced. Pre-orders are available now on Xbox One and Swi
www.gematsu.com

Retro first-person shooter Project Warlock coming to PS4 on June 9, Switch on June 11, and Xbox One on June 12

Publisher Crunching Koalas and developer Buckshot Software will release retro first-person shooter Project Warlock for PlayStation 4 on June 9, Switch on June 11, and Xbox One on June 12 for $14.99…

Hi, my name is Jakub Cisło and I started working on Project Warlock when I was still in high school. Today, four years later, I would like to invite you to take a look at the journey of how my passion project became a real game — from an idea seeded in my mind by my dad, to a fast-paced, gory shooter debuting on PS4 on June 9.

Every FPS fan knows the joy of landing a well-placed shotgun shell in the guts of a demon frantically reaching its claws at you, or the excitement of finding a secret area full of gold and much-needed ammo. Project Warlock is all about recreating that feeling.

The passion for annihilating pixelated monsters found its way into my head no doubt thanks to my dad — a true-school gamer through and through. When I was a kid, he showed me such cult-classics as Doom, Hexen, Blood or Heretic, and ever since then they couldn't leave me alone.

Those action-packed mazes filled with enemies and flying bullets sowed the seed that many years later would sprout into Project Warlock — a love letter to the golden age of fast-paced shooters.

Inspiration
With an unconditional love for pixelated mayhem seated deep in my heart, I started working on Project Warlock while still in high school. Back in 2016 the game was just shaping up, under the name Exitium 3D, which later turned into Cataclysm 3D, and much later given its final title.

Working from scratch, with very little experience and 17 years old at the time, I had to learn almost everything as I went, picking up knowledge and tips on the way. Having in mind a well-defined idea of how these games should feel, I went through a long process of fine-tuning in the early stages of development, to recreate the gory and bloody action of my muses.

Slowly, but surely, it was starting to resemble the shooters we all know like Duke Nukem 3D and Doom.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, awesome. I had a blast with this on PC. It's a pre-Doom throwback FPS, but with lots of modern features and design.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Its nice to see these retro style fps games starting to come over to consoles after being on pc. I got them all on pc, but its still cool for it to be available to more people. Hopefully these all sell well enough to show there is still a market for the old style fps game.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Project Warlock was pretty fun. Really solid gunplay and enemy variety, pretty tepid level design though.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Are we not gonna talk about how Koala are crunching for this?

I actually like the visual aesthetic and speed of it all. Count me in.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just found out about this game and am definitely getting it day one on Switch

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I played through the first couple levels. I like it but ion fury is way better. Though theyre completely different shooters.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
super impressive for a game by a 19 year old (technical/gameplay aspersions aside it's just impressive somebody that age would give AF about old school FPS sensibility to begin with)

tbh game is just okay though