• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So did some exec look at the name Xbox ONE X, and thought, the next step is SERIES?

I'd have gone with Infinity, generic as that is.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are way to hung up on the "Series" bit. To me I see it as them just calling the console "Xbox" from now and, and "Series X" is just a way for them to distinguish this particular unit.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Series implies they are going to be very very serial this gen.
If anything, I think this is probably the death of generations entirely for MS. There'll be an Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S at launch, and then in 2-4 years you'll get a Series X2, Series S2, then in 2-4 years time again potentially a X3 and S3, so on and so forth.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Wii U all over again?

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox Series X...what?

What's next Xbox Xtra?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I'm thinking as well. Series C for Cloud/Digital Only, Series S for the Standard Console and Series X for top pf the shelf specs.

their announcement called this the flagship product but not the premium. To me, that reads as being the one they expect most people to buy, hence the middle of the pack one. The premium product would be the top shelf one.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
their announcement called this the flagship product but not the premium. To me, that reads as being the one they expect most people to buy, hence the middle of the pack one. The premium product would be the top shelf one.
Yeah, that's really confusing. Doesn't make any sense. I read that as well, but I would assume the "Series X" would be the high-performance model along with a "Series S" to follow in step with the "Xbox One X" and "Xbox One S".

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's really confusing. Doesn't make any sense. I read that as well, but I would assume the "Series X" would be the high-performance model along with a "Series S" to follow in step with the "Xbox One X" and "Xbox One S".

Gotta say, using letters like this reminds me of the confusing days of the Atari line of products, lol. Is the STF, STFM, or STe the top of the line? Is the XL or XE or XEGS the one to go with? Which is more powerful, the Atari 5200 or Atari ST 1040?

I like the look of the new xbox, tho.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The new name makes it sound likes it's just another version of the XBO, MS really are terrible at naming new consoles.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Xbox Series XX and Xbox Series XXX

X-Rated upgrades.

Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series M

It reflects the capabilities.

As in S&M

Xbox Series P and Xbox Series C

Play together, fit together.

The new name makes it sound likes it's just another version of the XBO, MS really are terrible at naming new consoles.

But their codenames for Xbox consoles are awesome.

Project Midway (internal name for the original XBOX)
Xenon (Xbox 360)
Durango (Xbox One)
Scorpio (Xbox One X)
Scarlett (Xbox Series X)

Last edited:

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
I think it's pretty obvious that Series X is an overarching name for a set of consoles. This makes it even more likely that the rumors about Loackhart and Anaconda are true, and in that case, they will probably get their own individual names to reflect their position in the lineup.

Here is my prediction:
Lockhart = Xbox Series X Core (Or just Xbox Core, XBC)
Anaconda = Xbox Series X Elite (Xbox Elite, XBE)

I feel more confident about the last one. Naming the top console Elite would create logical synergi with their controller series.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious that Series X is an overarching name for a set of consoles. This makes it even more likely that the rumors about Loackhart and Anaconda are true, and in that case, they will probably get their own individual names to reflect their position in the lineup.

Here is my prediction:

I feel more confident about the last one. Naming the top console Elite would create logical synergi with their controller series.
If anything I think they'll change X.

Xbox Series X
Xbox Series Y
Xbox Series Z

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
If anything I think they'll change X.

Xbox Series X
Xbox Series Y
Xbox Series Z

I don't get it. :P

I don't think it makes sense to introduce multiple new "series" of consoles if they only release two new consoles right off the bat. Series implies that there are more than one. Of course, they could always update each series with new hardware afterwards, so I guess there is that. I just think it looks weird if they lauch with two consoles, each in their own series.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Here is my prediction:

Elite has a far too big negative connotation with elitism.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. :P

I don't think it makes sense to introduce multiple new "series" of consoles if they only release two new consoles right off the bat. Series implies that there are more than one. Of course, they could always update each series with new hardware afterwards, so I guess there is that. I just think it looks weird if they lauch with two consoles, each in their own series.
Think of it this way.

This is Xbox Series X, or like I imagine: Xbox Series model X. A weaker version could be Xbox Series S (same overarching name in 'Xbox Series', but different differator at the end). A stronger version could be Xbox Series U or Pro or whatever.

I think they want 'Xbox Series' as their theme, rather than 'Xbox Series X' like you used it :P

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
So can I fuck the sexbox?
Well, there are only two entry points into the console. One is for disks, so unless your appendage has blu-ray dimensions, that's out of the question. The second is at the top, but covered by a grill. I'm sure you could remove the grill. Underneath it is a powerful fan. I personally wouldn't advise putting your dick in that.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Elite has a far too big negative connotation with elitism.

Well, they already use Elite for their top controller. I actually never thought about that negative association until you mentioned it right now. Guessing I'm not alone in that. :P

Think of it this way.

This is Xbox Series X, or like I imagine: Xbox Series model X. A weaker version could be Xbox Series S (same overarching name in 'Xbox Series', but different differator at the end). A stronger version could be Xbox Series U or Pro or whatever.

I think they want 'Xbox Series' as their theme, rather than 'Xbox Series X' like you used it :P

Okay, using Xbox Series as the overarching name in combination with different letters for different consoles makes more sense to me. This is a simple, logical and easily understandable naming convention. At least if they stick to just using different letters. Introducing names like Pro or Elite on top of that would ruin everything IMO.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
No joke, the first thing i thought when seeing that name was that theyre putting out another iteration before the next gen Xbox. (And im savvy when it comes to games)

like a new Xbox One X

this Series X name is really really bad especially for less savvy people..

isnt thisone of the issues with Wii U?
Why name it something so similar to their current console?

javac

Oct 28, 2017
So they're effectively just calling it the Xbox like everybody said for years, Series X for the high-end and Series S for the cheaper model I'd assume.