• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Are we going the way of the GPU naming conventions?

Xbox 4, Xbox 12?

Maybe Xbox 2 and Xbox 4? (for 2K and 4K)

Or Xbox 1080, 2160?

Xbox RT.2 and RT.4

xRT.2 and xRT.4

Actually has a nice ring to it

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Anaconda: Xbox Infinity
Lockhart: Xbox Infinity D(igital only)

Logo can be a stylized ∞ with the left side longer than the other to signify both boxes.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I mean they went from 360 to One so Infinite isn't impossible

I like it tbh

Goes along with Halo Infinite

It is imbecilic to name something "Infinite" or its variation because there is nowhere to go from there the next time around. Infinity by definition is unending and so that name is a contradiction against the precept of 'generation'. Subsequently, it comes off of as pretentious (to me at least). MS has been pretty sensible and on point with names thus far (even though I know not why they simply did not stick to the numerical convention.... probably because they'd always be 1 shy off of PS numbers) especially with 360 (by far one of the most apt name for its time).

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Naming their console "Infinite" or "Infinity" would be utterly foolish unless this is to be their last conventional box.

You could say the same for Smash ultimate, but we all know that won't be the last smash. Bioshock is coming out with another game after infinite....

It's fine and makes sense to me. Just a name to call it by. Can't take the term literally, but in regards to what it implies by the philosophy of the console.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
ah, so it's gonna pretend to be a Japanese console?

The original XBOX was the anti-Japanese console. Its codename was Project Midway, a reference the the famous WW2 battle in the Pacific.
Man, I was just making a tired Scarlett Johansson joke and you stopped some crazy facts on me

Microsoft's thinking was, Sony was about to take over American living rooms with the PS2, with all of its capabilities, go online and would essentially be a computer under the TV. Thus, Project Midway, XBOX.

f4loEr4.jpg

Ever wonder what goes into the development and launch of a game console? Dean Takahashi's original Opening the Xbox did exactly that for Microsoft's first entry in the console war, detailing everything from the controversial codename (Project Midway, named after WWII's turning point of the Battle of Midway, which was to symbolize the shift in power in the games industry from Japan) to the feuds amongst key decision makers at Microsoft. It was a rare opportunity to see just how the giant managed to get its rather large foot in the door.

You can keep the process positive and creative by having the radical circle focus initially on where everyone believes the company should not go and who its enemies are. Often members can converge more easily on what they dislike than on what they like, and a common enemy is a powerful incentive to come together and articulate a new direction. Although the members of Microsoft's radical circle had different visions, they agreed that the enemies were Sony and its new PlayStation 2 console, along with their own company's strategy of pursuing a generic, PC-based approach to games. (The team named the Xbox endeavor Project Midway, after the sea battle between the U.S. and Japanese navies that was a turning point in World War II.)

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox Stream

That's my guess since streaming (xCloud) and accessibility (Game Pass) seem like major focuses for them this gen.

Oct 28, 2017
I posted this in the wrong thread but I think Xbox Infinite's short hand isn't great with the current Xbox's branding issues. XBI isn't all that different from XB1. Which is not to be confused with Xbox 1 (OG).

What Phil Spensor is referring to is speed. The speed in which the games load with ssd. The speed in which you can play a game upon purchasing it via xcloud. The higher frame rates. That's what will define the next Xbox name. I don't think infinite captures that.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Watch it be called Xbox Infinite, along with Halo and the new Forza, if rumours are correct that it will merge Motorsport and Horizon into one. :p No idea, just late night stupid thoughts.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I posted this in the wrong thread but I think Xbox Infinite's short hand isn't great with the current Xbox's branding issues. XBI isn't all that different from XB1. Which is not to be confused with Xbox 1 (OG).

What Phil Spensor is referring to is speed. The speed in which the games load with ssd. The speed in which you can play a game upon purchasing it via xcloud. The higher frame rates. That's what will define the next Xbox name. I don't think infinite captures that.

So

Xbox Sonic?

Feb 10, 2018

Xboxin

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox 4

It's the 4th Xbox
It can render a lot of games at 4K
4 controllers standard in the box
Comes with 4 games, free
4TB SSD
4 GPUs
It's square shaped, 4 sides!
4 high RPM fans
4 BD disk drives for physical medium
You can share your games with 4 friends

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox video game player and media player and streaming device gaming system

Xbox video game player and media player and streaming device gaming system Jr.

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
"Xbox 360 was about the entertainment experience around the box and the box being in the center of that entertainment experience.
Yeah... it's no secret that this isn't true at all, they wanted a 3 so it wouldn't look like they were behind the PS3, that was it.