• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You are defensive as heck. Who exactly is this mod aimed at if not Melee players?
anyone with a modded Switch who wants to try out a new take on Ultimate, like the myriad Brawl mods before it. Which included Project M, but also Brawl+, Brawl Minus, and Brawl Overdrive - other projects where the 'point' wasn't to reintroduce Melee-specific mechanics, but to expand the base Brawl experience in ways that the modders found fun and interesting.
I was being defensive as heck. I shat up that first page. I'll own up to that. It's just that I saw the title and knew that people would be in here shitting on everyone who plays Melee, using the knowledge that a few people out there are modding out Ultimate as justification. I knew that from experience.

I've played Melee for fifteen years. I've already put well over 100 hrs into Ultimate - it's easily my personal favorite Smash game, filled to the brim with characters I genuinely enjoy playing, even though many in my circle prefer to continue to play Melee, Project M, or one of the several indie-developed platform fighters that have been developed since then. I still play those games alongside Ultimate, too, and my circle still plays Ultimate alongside their preferred games. I will probably give this mod a try if Switch modding becomes more accessible, and I don't see that as a problem, or as evidence of a toxic outlook. And yet throughout the years I've felt like me and mine are unjustly considered inherently toxic for enjoying these Smash alternates or for insinuating that they could be preferrable to what Nintendo developed from anyone's perspective.

Last edited:

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does the existence of a mod like this seem to cause some people so much anguish?

Some people get crazy, yeah, but I think the root idea is that it's been really nice having a unified community. It's been great seeing Mango vs. Nairo, HBox vs. Zero, etc. There's a sense of camaraderie the community hasn't had in more than a decade.

So people are concerned it will go back to how it was, and a mod like this could be seen as either a symptom of or a catalyst to the re-splitting of the community.

I don't necessarily agree, but it's not an irrational thing to worry about if you've enjoyed the unity.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The clips in the OP are eye opening. With just a few simple parameter edits this guy has managed to make SSBU even FASTER than it is now. How is that a bad thing?

They're not really eye opening. They're just what you want to see, with no real appreciation of consequence, but you seem to generally just be disregarding the game as a whole if you think just some parameter edits would result in a good game.

Ultimate is already fast, speeding it up more in an engine that really isn't built for that in mind, is not some magic bullet that won't somehow result in stupid.

Really if anything you should explain why this is good first, since you made the thread not the other way around.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I know one thing. They can fuck off with changing snakes moveset again. His Tranq moveset In Project M was not to my liking at all. Especially with how easy it was to punish compared to other more versatile characters.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
So people are concerned it will go back to how it was, and a mod like this could be seen as either a symptom of or a catalyst to the re-splitting of the community.
I can't see how this would possibly happen, considering that such a mod will be de facto banned from all streams, and thus it will never be as popular as SmashU.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
If a mod could just remove the stupid buffering and aerial dodge delay that would improve ultimate by 100%.

I think the gameplay is the best in the series so far but the new mechanical tweaks since smash 4 kill me more often than not.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GOOD! Can't wait for this to come out. SSBU is the best Smash since Melee but it's still not there mechanically and until Nintendo decides to top it, i guess it will up to fans to pick up the slack.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
Because the Melee base is super toxic about anything Smash that isn't Melee.
They will force Melee into everyone and everything, refusing to change or evolve.
Ultimate exceeds Melee is almost every regard. There's no need to move backwards.

nobody is forcing you to play melee. what's it to you if some people think it's better?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I imagine this will mostly go under Nintendo's radar until or unless they start adding new characters. At that point lawyers are going to get involved.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brawl+, Brawl- and Project M players?
You do realize that Melee players do NOT universally like Project M. Forum discusion would devolve into "why play project M when you can just play melee"

Yes, I understand this. Further proof of why the hardcore Melee audience is terrible.

anyone with a modded Switch who wants to try out a new take on Ultimate, like the myriad Brawl mods before it. Which included Project M, but also Brawl+, Brawl Minus, and Brawl Overdrive - other projects where the 'point' wasn't to reintroduce Melee-specific mechanics, but to expand the base Brawl experience in ways that the modders found fun and interesting.
I was being defensive as heck. I shat up that first page. I'll own up to that. It's just that I saw the title and knew that people would be in here shitting on everyone who plays Melee because a few people out there are modding out Ultimate. I knew that from experience.

I mean, yeah, sure, mods are cool and all, but you can't tell me with a straight face that this isn't a project that is trying to make Ultimate more like Melee with what their aims are. If people were trying to put Goku or Superman into Ultimate, I could be like yeah people are just having fun.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how Project M ended, I'm skeptical as to whether this will gain any sort of real traction.
I definitely don't see them bringing it to tourneys or else it'll suffer the same fate.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Whatever, if that takes away from the Ultimate pool those who only complain that Brawl/4/Ultimate is not "Melee 2.0, glitchfest included" fine by me. If someone said to me that they are better in Project wharever my reply would be that they need to hack the game to be good.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I understand this. Further proof of why the hardcore Melee audience is terrible.

I mean, yeah, sure, mods are cool and all, but you can't tell me with a straight face that this isn't a project that is trying to make Ultimate more like Melee with what their aims are. If people were trying to put Goku or Superman into Ultimate, I could be like yeah people are just having fun.

How is this a bad thing?
How does this stop you from still enjoying Ultimate?

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017

Dude, what. A fanbase is not one monolithic thing with one opinion. Like literally anything else, a lot of players like and dislike PM and the rest of the smash games to varying degrees. The Legend of Zelda is my favorite gaming series, but I think BotW is a bad game. Am I a toxic zelda fan? How is that any different? Modding the game in any variety of ways does not harm you and does not take away from anything else.

Imagine if the Street Fighter community could never let SF2 go.
Super Turbo tournaments are held regularly every year.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this will gain as much traction as the equivalent mods for Smash 4 did. The reason PM got so much traction is because it fixed a problem with Brawl. It was shit competitive wise. Smash 4 and Ultimate don't have that problem (save for bayo in 4 but that was a different problem). Ultimate did so much to make Smash more competitive. Best of luck to this team but I personally don't see this getting anywhere near the amount of push that PM did.

I'll give it a go when this is done though. Smash mods are always fun. I really can't wait for a bullshit unbalanced mod for Ultimate like Ch4os.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really expect this to actually go anywhere whatsoever.

Moreover it feels extremely redundant at the time being, Project M kicked off so well for Brawl because a lot of people felt that the competitive aspect of the game was getting exhausted, and the game being extremely rough around the edges. Not to mention it was easy to push for it given how easy the modding tools were for the game. Ultimate has barely even scratched the surface of what's achievable, and I think trying to stifle that right now, this early, really does make it seem like a reactionary case of "this isn't Melee".

There's never going to be another project the scale of Project M again, and if this actually does end up growing, expect Nintendo to shut it down pretty handily. People are best off not pursuing those phantoms.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
what's so terrible about it? you're coming across as the toxic one here honestly

Because as others explained, modding Brawl made sense since that game was a wreck. Ultimate just came out a month ago and has made many concessions towards competitive players and yet it's still not good enough for some people. It's premature at best. Tell me, is there another game series that has to put up with this? Are people modding the newest SF, MK, SC, or Tekken games to make them like an older title?

How is this a bad thing?
How does this stop you from still enjoying Ultimate?

It doesn't. If people want to waste their time, more power to them.

Dude, what. A fanbase is not one monolithic thing with one opinion. Like literally anything else, a lot of players like and dislike PM and the rest of the smash games to varying degrees. The Legend of Zelda is my favorite gaming series, but I think BotW is a bad game. Am I a toxic zelda fan? How is that any different? Modding the game in any variety of ways does not harm you and does not take away from anything else.

I never said a mod harms me or my enjoyment of the game.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Man, it's not like most Melee fans even knew this project existed or aren't happy with Ultimate. Especially given that most well known/highly ranked melee players have also been competing in and streaming Ultimate.

This seems to be its own project, with its own goals. Just like PM was by the end. I probably won't play it, but I don't see how this thing's existence is now suddenly the fault of the "melee community" not wanting to move on or something. I am a huuuuge fan of melee, spend most of my weekends watching tournaments, like to compete, but this doesn't interest me (or anyone I know who plays melee) at all.

The hardcore melee audience is great, melee is great, people should play what they like. Ultimate is also great. More power to the modders and the people that want to do this or want to play it.

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
You are defensive as heck. Who exactly is this mod aimed at if not Melee players?
it was towards melee players and then it grow into its own thing, when they started to make more balancing and changes to animations and so on. This question is exactly common now that they just went off the melee players expectations and support honestly. I just assume is just people not happy with smash and want to do it their way.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Because as others explained, modding Brawl made sense since that game was a wreck. Ultimate just came out a month ago and has made many concessions towards competitive players and yet it's still not good enough for some people. It's premature at best. Tell me, is there another game series that has to put up with this? Are people modding the newest SF, MK, SC, or Tekken games to make them like an older title?
What does it matter to you if people aren't completely satisfied with Ultimate? There's nothing wrong with that. They're not obligated to migrate over to it if they don't want to.

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
First reaction to this news is total annoyance. Project M began out of necessity since Brawl was a competitive nightmare, but everything I've seen from Ultimate so far seems to point that at it's core it is good for competitive play? Sure there are tweaks to be made here and there, but fundamentally I can't see why this is needed. I just hate seeing the community fractured.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I can somewhat understand Project M's existence since Brawl was actually designed to not be competitive, but a Project Ultimate makes zero sense to me. They won't be able to stream it (at least on Twitch) and Ultimate already has solid competitive mechanics. Who this for?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Because the Melee base is super toxic about anything Smash that isn't Melee.
They will force Melee into everyone and everything, refusing to change or evolve.
Ultimate exceeds Melee is almost every regard. There's no need to move backwards.
"Almost" is the operative term here, as that's the topic of discussion for Project Ultimate. As someone who loves Ultimate, I still see Melee as the best game in the series based on its gameplay alone. This is basically taking the one thing that's Melee has over Ultimate & adding it to Ultimate (I also prefer Melee's Adventure Mode to Ultimate's Spirits, but the margin there is pretty close).

With that said, I don't want to mess with my Switch, so I'll likely pass on this.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can somewhat understand Project M's existence since Brawl was actually designed to not be competitive, but a Project Ultimate makes zero sense to me. They won't be able to stream it (at least on Twitch) and Ultimate already has solid competitive mechanics. Who this for?

It's for those who want to play as as King K Rool with Melee mechanics, can i have that without this mod?

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People hate the Melee fanbase not because they won't move on from their eighteen-year-old game but because they are actively hostile against anything that isn't melee. There's a reason why they have the toxic reputation that they have.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say that this feels unnecessary since mechanically Ultimate is already great, unlike vanilla Brawl, but after looking at the video... Boy, that sure looks fun.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
How extensive are the changes going to be? For example, are they planning to tweak the momentum/gravity or rework the ledge mechanics?

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's neat to have, but I don't think its really necessary since ultimate is fun as is. It's good enough on its own to offer its own flavor and if you want the exact melee experience you can always just hit up melee. I get why it's done though. A lot of people just want the roster w/ melee mechanics because they are likely bored w/ melee's characters. Theres not a ton of viable characters in that game so I'd imagine a lot of people are looking for a side game w/ melee tech and more characters to play.

Oh I forgot to mention that it won't take off unless it becomes as easy to install as Project M. It's a hard sell to ask people to mod thier switch to play when Ultimate is already liked as is. Brawl was ass so the change was much more needed.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
The "Melee fanbase is toxic" crowd has far exceeded the actual Melee crowd in actual toxicity for a long-time running.

If people want to do stuff with their games for their own enjoyment and/or harbor particular opinions about a game, let them. What's so hard about that, exactly?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
"Almost" is the operative term here, as that's the topic of discussion for Project Ultimate. As someone who loves Ultimate, I still see Melee as the best game in the series based on its gameplay alone. This is basically taking the one thing that's Melee has over Ultimate & adding it to Ultimate (I also prefer Melee's Adventure Mode to Ultimate's Spirits, but the margin there is pretty close).

With that said, I don't want to mess with my Switch, so I'll likely pass on this.
You can't just add something from one game to another and expect it to work

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care if you play Melee, Project M or Ultimate. I just can't believe how little time it takes to try and turn the new game into the old one.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Ok. I'm fucking tired of this.

What the FUCK is your problem man?

If someone out there wants to mod a game, ANY video game how is this affecting you? How is this ANY different from someone releasing their own skin packs on any PC game, someone making a new difficulty mode on a game, or any GameShark code that ever existed in the golden era.

If some one who knows how to code wants to customize a game to fit their own tastes, and happens to want to share it with other people who share the same taste, not as a replacement to a game but as an alternative, why do you feel the need to give them shit about it?

It's a fucking hobbyist thing to do, and mods like these in other video games actually lead to some really cool shit sometime.

Can't you just appreciate the possibility of other options existing? If you don't care for it I guarantee you it will NEVER fucking affect you. But this close-minded "better than thou" attitude can FUCK OFF.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
This is exciting for me not gonna lie. I actually like Ultimate a whole lot but it's just undeniable to me that the way that Melee and PM handle is something I would never let go of if i didn't have to.

I want to enjoy Ultimates roster with that blistering speed and I dont see why that has to be looked down on. It'd have been easy for Sakurai to put a 'Melee physics' switch on for people who wanted to play that way but since he didn't it's all the more reason for the community to step up.

As far as changing characters go let's be real; This is the only hope Wario Land Wario has to get in the game. That alone warrants this imo.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Probably gonna suffer from the same fate Project M did, but even faster since most people actually like Ultimate and I can imagine Ninty will be quick on the draw with their lawyers due to their bigger focus on the esports side of things lately.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Project M became its own thing, not brawl with melee mechanics.
My point is that it took Melee's mechanics & melded them into Brawl. Where Ultimate falls short for me is Sakurai & Bandai Namco not going far enough to incorporate what made Melee the best, even if Ultimate is still a great game on its own.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Is this necessary?"

We have to move out of this mindset that every mod is to "fix" a game. There are many mods scenes out there that aren't trying to make a statement, prove they can objectively make a game better, or have grandiose plans. There are plenty of mods that alter things to make it enjoyable for personal reasons. Not every modding scene is like Bethesda Games.