• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
The point is to salvage downticket races.

They've accepted that Trump is going to lose by a massive margin. That would normally torpedo all their downticket races because Republicans no longer wanting to vote for Trump simply won't vote at all. Their strategy is to get them out to "protest vote" against Trump in the hopes they still cast Republican votes downticket, and hopefully spare their blush in a few of the more competitive races.

Basically, "If you're a real Republican, get out there and vote against Trump! also there are still the other names on the ticket you don't recognize or care about so just do your normal deal and R down the line"
Actually they've been cutting ads against downticket trump stooges.

Oct 28, 2017

Being the Libertarian Party. That is to say, have conservative economic policies that are inherently racist and classist because of their disproportionate impact on the poor and minorities but aren't openly racist.

The Republican Party as it's operating right now is both spending shitloads of money and has used the government to directly interfere with business. Arguably you could argue that Trump and his administration has influenced business in America more than Obama's government has through the trade war alone.

There is definitely a branch that doesn't care a whole lot about the social regressive was that makes up the entirety of the Republican campaign strategy and only accepted it to keep the chuds as a reliable voting base. It's part of the reason why Gorsuch's ruling was such a kick in the nuts for a lot of chuds because the only reason they supported the Republican Party was because they promised to stack the courts so they could fuck minority lives forever.

They've accepted that Trump is going to lose by a massive margin. That would normally torpedo all their downticket races because Republicans no longer wanting to vote for Trump simply won't vote at all. Their strategy is to get them out to "protest vote" against Trump in the hopes they still cast Republican votes downticket, and hopefully spare their blush in a few of the more competitive races.

Basically, "If you're a real Republican, get out there and vote against Trump! also there are still the other names on the ticket you don't recognize or care about so just do your normal deal and R down the line"

To the credit of the Lincoln Project, they're not just laying hits on Trump but also anyone that has bent the knee. They've done attack ads on 5 Republican senators right now if I'm not wrong.

Last edited:

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's more than that. They know that they'll have access to the Biden White House in a way that won't deserve. Don't forget that he's already talked about appointing Rs to cabinet positions. (Sidenote: I swear to fucking god if another D president appoints a R to secretary of defense I'm going to fucking lose it.)

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
To the credit of the Lincoln Project, they're not just laying hits on Trump but also anyone that has bent the knee. They've done attack ads on 5 Republican senators right now if I'm not wrong.

The hardline toadies like Gaetz are almost certainly write-offs at this point, but they can still probably salvage a few close gubernatorial and senate races (hi turtle) if they throw Trump all the way under the bus, not to mention everyone down the line to comptroller whose personal politics in relation to Trump it's likely no one voting could even cite.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The hardline toadies like Gaetz are almost certainly write-offs at this point, but they can still probably salvage a few close gubernatorial and senate races (hi turtle) if they throw Trump all the way under the bus, not to mention everyone down the line to comptroller whose personal politics in relation to Trump it's likely no one voting could even cite.

They hit McConnell as well

Oct 28, 2017
If you were going to vote differently downticket, you really didn't need the Lincoln Project to tell you so.

As far as I know, they're not endorsing any candidate. I'm not sure what the Lincoln Project's long term strategy is, because the Republican Party is permanently lost to the social regressive side, but the whole lot of them lost their consulting jobs overnight when Trump won. The only thing they could do is get media jobs at CNN and MSNBC.

I could almost buy that the Lincoln Project is based on spite and pettiness considering their loss of political influence and Trump personally laying hits on them during 2015, 2016 and 2017. The ads themselves are nothing but spiteful and they're directly targeted towards Trump himself with those Fox News buys.

Last edited:

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I have never understood why Dems can't seem to create messaging that resonates with people the way republicans seem to. I understand the want to "go high" when they "go low" but you can't do that with people who don't have any fucking morals in the first place.

The end game here is easy to see because even if Dems win this round they will never institute the policies needed to effectively kill the GOP bullshit in the same way Republicans will do everything they can to minimize Democrats being able to vote in first place. Some Republicans will gladly roll over for a term if it's just going to give them time to lick their wounds and attempt a rebound.

abutteredpig

Oct 30, 2017
using joe rogan for political ends: you are a monster

using Rick Wilson, one of the worst Americans alive: epic!

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I could almost buy that the Lincoln Project is based on spite and pettiness

This is certainly part of it, but they get that if they don't get Trump out this time the party will get populism normalized completely w/ the base. No one not running on a ethnonationalist/populist platform can ever win the nomination if Trump gets re-elected.

So I think they are just playing to their outs-Trump gets repudiated, then some kind of party visionary/reformer gets strong boosting/backing that rejects Trumpism through sheer charisma and political acumen.

The other out is that they find a weird home in the Democratic party like the activist left.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I could almost buy that the Lincoln Project is based on spite and pettiness considering their loss of political influence and Trump personally laying hits on them during 2015, 2016 and 2017. The ads themselves are nothing but spiteful and they're directly targeted towards Trump himself with those Fox News buys.

I mean, if hos mad, hos mad.

That said, I'm not giving them any benefit of the doubt. I will continue to assume they're working an angle and only have their own best interests in mind. Even if they cut an attack ad for every single Republican in office short of the sheriff of Bumfuck, Idaho, I'm still going to run on the assumption that keeping that Bumfucker in office somehow meets their agenda.

I'll pat Republicans on the head and give them an attaboy if they somehow get tricked into doing the right thing, but I'll never stop waiting for the other shoe to drop. They spent their Last Chance Card from me when they failed to stop Trump the first half-dozen times the opportunity presented itself.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always going to blow my mind that the reality TV / Twitter president has spent his entire presidency warring with the press and repeatedly making himself look goofy over crowd sizes. All he had to do was make his own reality TV town halls where everyone is a plant and everything is perfectly choreographed, and then he could have used his Twitter account to get it out there. He could have had a perfect propaganda machine.

Instead he rents a stadium during a pandemic, builds an overflow area, uses his Twitter to brag about how many people might come, ends up in a half-empty room berating the press before staggering by them with toilet paper on his shoe a couple hours later.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you were going to vote differently downticket, you really didn't need the Lincoln Project to tell you so.

As far as I know, they're not endorsing any candidate. I'm not sure what the Lincoln Project's long term strategy is, because the Republican Party is permanently lost to the social regressive side, but the whole lot of them lost their consulting jobs overnight when Trump won. The only thing they could do is get media jobs at CNN and MSNBC.

They do have other agendas. Which is why nobody should consider them an ally.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They're people hoping for a return to Bush era hush hush dog whistling. Certainly for now they're useful for getting Trump out. But yeah they shouldn't be trusted with anything else after that:

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I expect it's really an amalgamation of a lot of things. A few members might actually have a principle or two that Trump totally violates, some want a president who won't actively try to get us all killed, some think the GOP needs to toss Trump and his enablers overboard if the party is to have a future, some are making a calculated bet on the future balance of power and angling for greater prominence in a post-Trump America, and some just fucking hate his guts because he's an unbelievable asshole.

Regardless, don't cheer for them too hard. Once Trump is gone, this hitjob machine will find new targets.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
I love the Lincoln Peoject and what they are doing. Going after Trump how Democrats can't figure out how to do. However remember they are Republicans and if Trump loses those ads will turn towards Democrats lol.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I love the Lincoln Peoject and what they are doing. Going after Trump how Democrats can't figure out how to do. However remember they are Republicans and if Trump loses those ads will turn towards Democrats lol.
Reminds me of Risk. You form an alliance with another player to successfully defeat an opponent, only to see them come right back at you in the very same turn.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I mean, it gets beat to death in every thread. But we know. Everyone knows. They are useful fools for now and everyone recognizes that.

The ads happen to get a chuckle here and there, but don't somehow confuse that with people suddenly submitting or subscribing to the politics of the people behind TLP... Im not even sure why that logic jump is being made in the first place. But rest assured.... We know.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Flag is good too:

I'm still not entirely sure what the point of the Lincoln project is (secede the election to a democrat this year so they can try to salvage the party and do better in 2024?), but I can't deny their ads are excellent. The Conway's home life must be a doozy.

They're conservatives that really hate Trump Yeah, that is basically what it boils down too.

I like what they do, but they're still GOP cronies.
There's no good people in the GOP.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I usually dislike this type of very derisive super pac adds, but if there's anyone more deserving of a good spoonful of these, it's the big turd.
I wasn't expecting the meme lol

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I usually dislike this type of very derisive super pac adds, but if there's anyone more deserving of a good spoonful of these, it's the big turd.
I wasn't expecting the meme lol

You're not the only one. When asked whether they preferred their elected officials to strike a deal with the opposition or attempt to dominate them and remain uncompromising, the Democratic base generally prefers the former and the Republican base prefers the latter. As such, lowest common denominator-like ads are considerably less popular with Democrats.

The main differences here are:
- It's Republicans airing these ads, meaning Dems can laugh at Trump getting shat on while still telling themselves their sides' hands remain clean.
- Trump's essentially a cartoon villain from the eighties. No immediately obvious tragic backstory, no humanizing moments, just a one-dimensional epitome of pettiness and cruelty that makes you root against them the moment they enter the scene and allows you to relish their humiliation without feeling guilty about it.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
You're not the only one. When asked whether they preferred their elected officials to strike a deal with the opposition or attempt to dominate them and remain uncompromising, the Democratic base generally prefers the former and the Republican base prefers the latter. As such, lowest common denominator-like ads are considerably less popular with Democrats.

The main differences here are:
- It's Republicans airing these ads, meaning Dems can laugh at Trump getting shat on while still telling themselves their sides' hands remain clean.
- Trump's essentially a cartoon villain from the eighties. No immediately obvious tragic backstory, no humanizing moments, just a one-dimensional epitome of pettiness and cruelty that makes you root against them the moment they enter the scene and allows you to relish their humiliation without feeling guilty about it.
Yeah, the strategy makes sense. Running a super pac is pretty much a science at this point, in the US.

Boy is it cathartic to watch him lose where it hurts him most.
The rally attendance u turn is like water in this 4 year desert.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I'm wary of what they'll do after Trump is booted out, frankly, I'm inclined to go with "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" for the time being.

So I think they are just playing to their outs-Trump gets repudiated, then some kind of party visionary/reformer gets strong boosting/backing that rejects Trumpism through sheer charisma and political acumen.
The problem with this notion is that there is nobody in the GOP who is capable of this. Like... The entire 2016 GOP non-Trump primary field was devoid of charisma. There was nobody in that lineup who would've stood a ghost of a chance against Clinton, nevermind Joe Biden.

I frankly think that the Lincoln Project folks can save the party's 'soul', but at the cost of future elections. Biden sure as hell won't be a one-term president, and by the time his second term is up, there'll be more charismatic Dem candidates eager to replace him. Whereas the GOP is kinda spent in terms of charisma and is really just a bunch of old people for the most part, and the ones who aren't are likely to be Trumpers who are turfed out.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
They're not the only ones landing body blows. And this amazing woman is an ally in good times and bad -

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Edit:^ Oof that's gonna wreck him. He tweeted about the testing this morning hahah
(I love how seriously bassy these vids are :D)

They're not the only ones landing body blows. And this amazing woman is an ally in good times and bad -

The purest trolling and supremely effective. Watched a wonderful interview with her this morning. She is indeed awesome.

Bit of an off topic question regarding the Biden campaign. it's really quiet. Is this an intentional play given the trajectory of current trump? Is it Biden taking C-19 seriously for all to see? Is it normal and my conceptions are skewed by trump the showman?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Bit of an off topic question regarding the Biden campaign. it's really quiet. Is this an intentional play given the trajectory of current trump? Is it Biden taking C-19 seriously for all to see? Is it normal and my conceptions are skewed by trump the showman?
A little bit of all of these.

The "general" campaign doesn't usually begin in full swing until after the conventions, and really picks up after Labor Day. I'm sure that'll be different somewhat this year because of covid.

Biden also seems to have an intentional strategy of "get out of Trump's way." Trump has one "skill" and that's sparring with people over Twitter and in sound bites. Even more specifically, he riffs on things they say or do first (look at his tweets and how the majority of them are reacting to things), so if Biden stays out of the news then the news is Trump's failures in covid and police brutality.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

The Biden campaign is having multiple events a week, public and private, but you're right that they're not really like promoting the hell out of these. Today, Biden and Obama have a joint online meeting "for donors" (I think you get a "private" link to the meeting if you're a donor over a certain level), and they've been having similar meetings/online rally's every week, along with prepared speeches. He's slowed down on the podcast episodes, which is weird, seems like he should be doing more of those.

I think our perceptions are skewed by the reality TV gameshow host president completely dominating every news cycle with some fresh scandal, but also with the coronavirus, in person events and meet and greets are jsut completely shut down which is the responsible thing to do. Still like I don't know if Biden was on any of the Sunday news programs or anything this weekend, and I forget if that was common or not in previous elections ... it's like Trumps big fat domination of everything has blocked out my memory.

It's definitely a weird challenge. Not having a real convention, not able to really get out there into in person events. In a lot of ways it's helped Biden so far... Trump is so starved for attention, but he keeps fucking up because it's who he is, and Biden's controlled, prepared speeches he's giving and putting on Twitter are like the counter to that. Back in December, January, etc., Democrats were emphasizing that whoever their presidential candidate will be it's someone you can forget about once in a while in the white house, just trust that they're doing the job and they're not going to make a fresh wave of scandals every day that you need to constantly worry about. I think if Biden wins, it's going to take us a while to reset to "the old normal," where the president's fresh scandals and hijinks every day aren't the daily news cycle.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Another good one just released.

Man that "America or Trump" slogan is so clutch, and especially for a Republican PAC. All of them have committed to voting for Biden, but like they're still careful to preserve independence with it.

Are any of these airing on tv? Beside the one in December.

Yes, but limited markets. They don't have that much money for a full TV blitz, unlike the DNC, Bloomberg, etc. whcih can do big time TV campaigns, so they're mostly sticking to social media / youtube / and word of mouth. They're running their anti-McConnell spot on TV in Kentucky, for instance.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but limited markets. They don't have that much money for a full TV blitz, unlike the DNC, Bloomberg, etc. whcih can do big time TV campaigns, so they're mostly sticking to social media / youtube / and word of mouth. They're running their anti-McConnell spot on TV in Kentucky, for instance.
Thanks.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
It feels very satisfying to see these folks torment Trump with the same amount of glee he usually bullies others with. The cruelty is the point, Donald.

Status
Not open for further replies.