• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The character model is a complete turnoff for me. We're still doing skin-tight outfits and tons of blatant ass shots in 2021? C'mon.
Front and center in a Sony showcase among the likes of God of War, Star Wars and Spider-Man no less. What message does this send to women who are into (or thinking about getting into) games?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The animation seems worth highlighting, what with these weird squiddy flesh machine monsters of all shapes and sizes having detailed and believable movement. And it looks proficient in its character action ambitions, which is something I rarely have an interest in. And while the enemy designs are kind of distinct, fighting lumpy flesh monsters is not something I find appealing. I wouldn't be interested in this even if it wasn't for the tacky, trite and embarrassing player character design and camera focus. This game is quite offputting overall.

Man, red barrels. They've probably stuck around in games, just they look different to disguise their red barrel-ness, but those are just some gosh darn straight up red barrels. Feels like I haven't seen those since Half-Life 2.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I always love Korean and Chinese games have that distinct look to them, eve looks like a mix between western, Japanse and Korean.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The animation seems worth highlighting, what with these weird squiddy flesh machine monsters of all shapes and sizes moving believably. And it looks proficient in its character action ambitions, which is something I rarely have an interest in. And while the enemy designs are kind of distinct, fighting lumpy flesh monsters is not something I find appealing. I wouldn't be interested in this even if it wasn't for the tacky, trite and embarrassing player character design and camera focus. The game just seems quite offputting overall.

For me the highlight of the trailer was the mechsuit girl at the end. With the skull helmet. Really neat. The monsters shown were maybe a bit on the dull side, but they looked fun enough to hack to bits. The saw mouth stuff was kinda gnarly.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Front and center in a Sony showcase among the likes of God of War, Star Wars and Spider-Man no less. What message does this send to women who are into (or thinking about getting into) games?
that as long as there are people on forums going "i like ass" we will show it! Like I do not know how this passed muster to show next to Tachia.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I guess my point was that there are a variety of people who enjoy this type of thing, and especially in the art/concept art world it's very common for female artists to also enjoy drawing and designing very sexualized female designs. A lot of the criticisms I see are overly reductive. In any case, I see it as a taste thing. If it's not for you, it's not for you, and leave it at that.

Dismissing concerns over sexualised designs and depictions of women protagonists with "if you don't like it, you don't like it," seems far more reductive.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I want to read more about how fictional characters have no agency and how the character should wear real pants from superhero fans with a skin-tight full body suit wearing character as their avatar, I haven't had enough yet.

Imagine comparing Rogue to this character who you can literally see the contour lines of her vulva in her suit.

Come on.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The environments and main character do nothing for me but I really like the monster designs. The one with a giant fleshy chainsaw for a head was pretty gross and cool looking all at the same time.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Wow! This game is a nice surprise, without a doubt one of the coolest announcements from yesterday's showcase. I hope the final product turns out as good as this trailer suggests.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That not all games are like this and they don't have to buy this one if they're turned off by the character design? We have games like Bayonetta and Nier that mostly only got popular due to their protagonist designs and are a lot worse than this, and yet they're endlessly PRAISED on this forum. I want someone to finally explain that to me.

What's Sony supposed to do? Force them to change their design so that then everybody can whine about how Sony is censoring video games and creative vision? Sony loves action games and wanted to show this. That is all. Imagine attacking Sony over this when it's not even their game. I hope Sony keeps showing it any chance they get because the game itself looks great.

Last edited:

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Rewatched. Still the best thing in the show. Gameplay and monster designs just speaks to me. Hope the end product is is good as it looks now.

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly didn't expect it out of Sony. Yea, yea big corporations and all that, but did no one at Sony look at this trailer?

It goes again so much of the design sensibilities in their very own games.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I didn't think the character sexualization was that gratuitous? Nier has significantly more sexualized characters and those games get nothing but praise here. I had to watch the trailer again just to pick out the complaints. The monster designs and combat are what initially stood out to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: Upon re-watching I definitely see the issues others have here. The character design can definitely be improved, especially the latex suit.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that we still have losers performing mental gymnastics to defend nonsensical objectification. Just admit that you're perverts.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Imagine comparing Rogue to this character who you can literally see the contour lines of her vulva in her suit.

Come on.

u29dsbqwd0521.jpg

alekth

Mar 2, 2019
Not sure where all the NieR vibes are coming from, be it Automata or Replicant. I guess I need more on the story and world feel for those, random ass spinning in battle isn't quite enough.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Action and world look fun, great monster designs, but man the main character design and overly pandering camera were so cringey and groan worthy.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication
This thread is now re-opened to further discussion. We've noticed many posts making light of the blatant sexist design decisions in the game. This kind of talk is insulting to our women posters and fosters an unwelcoming environment all around. Any further posts dismissing the sexism in the game will be met with strict moderation.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for 1 second my brain have read this thread as parasite eve first trailer, and my heart skipped a bit

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I've noticed a lot of Korean games go for this type of design for their female characters. They all have long legs with k-pop idol faces. I guess it's just the beauty standard over there.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It should noted that unless sony bought it. This game is also coming to x1 and ps4

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
The CEO of Shift Up paid his respects to Yoko Taro in the twitter thingy I linked earlier.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Official Staff Communication
This thread is now re-opened to further discussion. We've noticed many posts making light of the blatant sexist design decisions in the game. This kind of talk is insulting to our women posters and fosters an unwelcoming environment all around. Any further posts dismissing the sexism in the game will be met with strict moderation.

Thanks!

It should noted that unless sony bought it. This game is also coming to x1 and ps4

Asked for a title change

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I could do without the bastardized Bayonetta-esque sexy design of the main protagonist (that the camera enjoys leering at) but otherwise I thought this looked solid. Would like to see more.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think the character sexualization was that gratuitous? Nier has significantly more sexualized characters and those games get nothing but praise here. I had to watch the trailer again just to pick out the complaints. The monster designs and combat are what initially stood out to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: Upon re-watching I definitely see the issues others have here. The character design can definitely be improved, especially the latex suit.

Nier gets shit about its sexualized character designs. You can just google Nier Sexualized Resetera to find threads and posts.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wacky enemy design and shiny butt aside, this looks promising but very generic. The combat lacks a distinct flair. But there's no real action tradition outside of RPGs and MMOs in Asian game dev outside of Japan, so devs gotta start somewhere.

I got no problem with the ass 🤗

Looks like DMC/Bayonetta from a gameplay standpoint, which are games that are prefer to watch rather than play, so will probably skip unless it has a godlike story

I can tell you right now that this doesn't play like either of those. This is closer to Souls and God of War 2018 in style.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Not sure where all the NieR vibes are coming from, be it Automata or Replicant. I guess I need more on the story and world feel for those, random ass spinning in battle isn't quite enough.
The original reveal trailer literally had EVE come down in a drop pod, narrating how she and others are being sent to take the Earth back.

Sexy female android wielding a sword sent to Earth to defeat the monsters that have overrun it, and reclaim it for humanity. There's a pretty clear inspiration here.

Not that I think it's a bad thing. I still wanna see more of AI Limit, too, which is a Nier-like from Sony's China Hero Project.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Can you find confirmation of other platform releases? I'm looking online and not finding anything other than PS5. It looks like it was originally announced for other consoles, but unsure if that's changed or not since all the new wording is PS5 / PC

Yeah I searched yesterday and could only find this from 9 months ago:

www.dualshockers.com

Project Eve Japanese Press Release Hints At Xbox One, PS5 Release, More Beautiful Screenshots Revealed

The new screenshots for Project Eve show its beautiful yet devastated world, and how protagonist Eve can change outfits.

So it's likely that Sony bought it, but not sure.