• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I really don't understand why ruined city = nier all of a sudden now.
I think it has more to do with the "android sent to post-apoc Earth from space to retake it from the monsters" bit. That plot point certainly feels derivative of Automata's premise.

Not that this is a bad thing, mind. "Lush Apocalypse" is one of my favourite action game settings (Enslaved, HZD), and the enemy designs here seem quite varied, which is really the main thing in an action game as far as I'm concerned.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think it has more to do with the "android sent to post-apoc Earth from space to retake it from the monsters" bit. That plot point certainly feels derivative of Automata's premise.

Not that this is a bad thing, mind. "Lush Apocalypse" is one of my favourite action game settings (Enslaved, HZD), and the enemy designs here seem quite varied, which is really the main thing in an action game as far as I'm concerned.
Oh is she an Android?

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
The trailer was a bit gratuitous, butt I'm gonna wait until I play the finished product and give it some ample thought before slapping it with my stamp of disapproval. Who knows, she could end up being a well-rounded character.

Or maybe the developers really are just behind the curve.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe try to look past the crack in her character…

1. The game's combat looked super exciting,
2. Korean games outside of MMOs branching out to worldwide is also a welcome thing

1: Yes, but that doesn't make it less cringy.

2: Arguably Korea would be better served FINALLY bucking the trend of sex-doll heroines in their games, but given how absolutely terrible women are treated there, i doubt it'll happen.
When you have a legacy of games like Tera, or Lineage 2, or blade and soul, banking on another generic skin-tight body-suit hot lady with tonnes of jiggle isn't a good look. (yes, i get that you said outside of MMO's, but still)

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
This is Taimanin Asagi X-Blade Haydee 3 edition
Looks like DMC/Bayonetta from a gameplay standpoint, which are games that are prefer to watch rather than play, so will probably skip unless it has a godlike story
i would say it looks more like Dark Souls going from gameplay videos.
2: Arguably Korea would be better served FINALLY bucking the trend of sex-doll heroines in their games, but given how absolutely terrible women are treated there, i doubt it'll happen.
When you have a legacy of games like Tera, or Lineage 2, or blade and soul, banking on another generic skin-tight body-suit hot lady with tonnes of jiggle isn't a good look. (yes, i get that you said outside of MMO's, but still)
We just had Dokev stealing our hearts last week then Hyung-Tae Kim said no and dropped a new video of this.

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Even if everything else is up my alley, that character design and the ridiculous camera angles make this a pass for me

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
User banned (permanent): Dismissing concerns around sexism, prior ban for dismissing concerns of underage sexualization
I cannot believe this is a real post on Era.

Please tell me this was a joke.

Excuse me, what?
Why shouldn't it be?
It's a discussion forum.
Should the strong female lead have no buttocks?
Or should she cover it up?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a problem with female anatomy or what?
Everything needs to be mom approved, or it's shameful apparently.
I knew this game would drive them out into the open. These takes... woof.
For the character design if thats what they wanted, so be it. People complained about Nier and Dragons Crown the same. Both games sold okay.
Capitalism really shouldn't act as your moral compass...

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me, what?
Why shouldn't it be?
It's a discussion forum.
Should the strong female lead have no buttocks?
Or should she cover it up?

this post is really funny because it's just like a compilation of the straw man and false dichotomy arguments people make every time about sexualices characters. I hope you know that we have a thread on this topic with thousands of posts and people aren't actually fooled by this trolling.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
It looks a-typical Korean game female poster character but its character action so I'm in. Just wondering when it will release since Korean games have notoriously long dev cycles while also being very ambitious in trying to crack the mold of the genres they do. So many games get that instant attention, then don't release for 4+ years, or at least internationally and then proceed to flop once they do as a result.

Hoping things are changing since were seeing more games out of the region get highlighted by the big console makers.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
this post is really funny because it's just like a compilation of the straw man and false dichotomy arguments people make every time about sexualices characters. I hope you know that we have a thread on this topic with thousands of posts and people aren't actually fooled by this trolling.
Ok. Good to know my opinion is trolling, carry on then

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Combat looks great but jfc that character design. Was the only trailer in the show I had to alt-tab because I didn't feel comfortable with other people in the room. Absolutely unnecessary and tbh a bit disappointed that sony would promote it after some of their other studios have talked about the importance of diversity.

Just felt like I was transported back to early 2000s late 90s video game ads and not in a good way.

Ah the classic "scientist" response. If you're actually not sure where the criticism to your comment is coming from, the buttocks are being used in this case to create an exceptionally pandering and objectifying design.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Whataboutism, Dismissing Concerns of Sexism Over Multiple Posts; Long History of Misrepresenting Other User's Arguments
Combat looks great but jfc that character design. Was the only trailer in the show I had to alt-tab because I didn't feel comfortable with other people in the room. Absolutely unnecessary and tbh a bit disappointed that sony would promote it after some of their other studios have talked about the importance of diversity.

Why does a sexualized character embarrass you but not all of the violent depictions of murder? I find something like Deathloop more uncomfortable, if we're going to compare.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Came back into the thread hoping to see more people talking about how trashy it is Sony had this game in their presentation, but nope.

Everything needs to be mom approved, or it's shameful apparently.

What's wrong with it other than it being a ripoff of bayonetta?

Why does a sexualized character embarrass you but not all of the violent depictions of murder? I find something like Deathloop more uncomfortable, if we're going to compare.

Are you guys kidding me? I know you don't need it to be explained why dehumanizing women in media is a bad thing.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't it kind of good to actually have a diverse offer though? This game doesn't ruin Dokev
my steam library and H-game library are diverse but I still don't think this needed to be advertised at an event like this. Would I want sony to have a gameplay video of Haydee to show off the PS5? hell no. dude she has a boob sock in here.

What's wrong with it other than it being a ripoff of bayonetta?
there are people that don't are not the biggest fans of Bayonetta that much either but at least she as a character is so out of this world cheeky that you can understand it from a humor perspective. There were parts in the original trailer that while someone was talking and she was just striking different poses. It's exaggerated in a way that is comedic, compared to this which is all just "take me seriously"

Last edited:

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I'm winning bingo too many times. Stahp.

Seriously, we're getting to the "Violence is worse" part of the discussion which is proven multiple times to not be a thing (In multiple fucking studies) but sexualising women does have a negative fucking effect and is proven unlike fake ass violence

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys kidding me? I know you don't need it to be explained why dehumanizing woman in media is a bad thing.

I guess I just don't see how it dehumanizes women? It's a video game character. I actually agree it's kind of generic and cringe, it's not my favorite design by far, but I don't agree it's automatically a heinous crime to have a sexualized character design or piece of art (male or female). It may not be for everyone, but fortunately you have a lot of choices and variety.

Oct 25, 2017
Came back into the thread hoping to see more people talking about how trashy it is Sony had this game in their presentation, but nope.

Are you guys kidding me? I know you don't need it to be explained why dehumanizing women in media is a bad thing.

I almost made a thread about it but some of the responses in this thread make me think it wouldn't be any different there...

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
The main character looks like she was modded into the game.

Cute girl in futuristic apocalypse is definitely a genre. I would be surprised if this game was based on an art book exclusively sold on Booth.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I know you don't need it to be explained why dehumanizing women in media is a bad thing.
Dehumanizing is just too strong of a word, I feel. You know, women can be intelligent, charming but also look good. Those things are not mutually exclusive. Women like to look sexy, who would of thunk?
But you keep being you, and get offended every chance you get, and call it pandering if it's making you uncomfortable in front of your parents/peers.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Dehumanizing is just too strong of a word, I feel. You know, women can be intelligent, charming but also look good. Those things are not mutually exclusive. Women like to look sexy, who would of thunk?
But you keep being you, and get offended every chance you get, and call it pandering if it's making you uncomfortable in front of your parents/peers.

holy shit keep hitting all those bingo spaces

get fucked idiot

keep dismissing shit because you wanna jerk off to this game

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, we're getting to the "Violence is worse" part of the discussion which is proven multiple times to not be a thing (In multiple fucking studies) but sexualising women does have a negative fucking effect and is proven unlike fake ass violence
The variety of shit takes is pretty breathtaking. This thread only got worse as it went...

Oct 27, 2017
This thread keeps on getting worse and worse. Fucking hell.
hqdefault.jpg

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Inappropriate whataboutism
I guess I just don't see how it dehumanizes women? It's a video game character. I actually agree it's kind of generic and cringe, it's not my favorite design by far, but I don't agree it's automatically a heinous crime to have a sexualized character design or piece of art (male or female). It may not be for everyone, but fortunately you have a lot of choices and variety.
..... sigh I guess I'm going to give you an example of how you can dehumanize people through fictional game characters.

NOTE: PLEASE KNOW IM DOING THIS OUTRAGEOUS EXAMPLE TO SET A FUCKING POINT.

Imagine I have a game with a zoo, and we get to monkeys and gorillas/etc and put black people in the cages and have nothing said about it.
"BUT BUT ITS A FICTIONAL GAME, THEYRE NOT REAL!!!!!". Shut the fuck up and know that implications effect real world people and are fucking bad in general.

There are people who don't like to be seen as only sexual objects or fucking terrible comic cover art poses of spider-woman.

There is owning sexuality and having the camera go deep in your ass crack. It's obvious which one they went with.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
The main character looks like she was modded into the game.

Cute girl in futuristic apocalypse is definitely a genre. I would be surprised if this game was based on an art book exclusively sold on Booth.
I almost logged into Discord to see what the Blender community were talking about.
The variety of shit takes is pretty breathtaking. This thread only got worse as it went...
eh, i think it is just a few reoccurring posters while the majority of the thread has their head on straight.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

Murder can absolutely be uncomfortable and embarrassing. I hate watching footage of TLoU2 for example and would tbh prefer less murder games in general even if there are some I like. Moreover I think the difference is that by and large the murder in games is fictional, often stylistically presented, and not usually directed at any specific creed or ethnic group. I think if other trailers yesterday focused on, say, murdering partivular minorities and put that front and center I would have been equally repulsed and embarrassed (case in point, some of the backlash towards Resident Evil 5).

In the case of sexualization it's because while these depictions are fictional, fiction has a subconscious and understated impact in how we regard reality around us. In contrast to murder (in most of the world), it's much easier to be a sexist than it is to commit homicide. And sexualized/objectified character designs are almost always female, and when taken in a broader cultural context of sexual harassment and assault, especially in the video game industry, just feel extremely tone-deaf and icky in 2021.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
This isn't the gotcha you think it is. People can be embarassed at a game so boldly presenting a female character as a sex object to be viewed for the player's pleasure . Especially considering the gaming industry, Sony especially, has been trying to move break out of the concept that video games are for straight males and games are created to please them.

Not to mention, people have been criticizing violence in video games for a long time.

This is hilarious.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The trailer was a bit gratuitous, butt I'm gonna wait until I play the finished product and give it some ample thought before slapping it with my stamp of disapproval. Who knows, she could end up being a well-rounded character.

Or maybe the developers really are just behind the curve.
Underrated post.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would be cautiously interested in this game based on the gameplay, but the character design is such obvious nerd-bait that I'm skipping it on principle alone.

Can we please let our female leads wear clothes? Just some real pants, for once. Please.