• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Metacritic - N/A
Opencritic - 74

GamesRadar+ - 3.5/5
Project Cars 3 is a great way to get into sim racing for newcomers thanks to its overtly gamey career mode, but the move into proper 'simcade' territory feels odd and unfulfilling.
Full review

Eurogamer - Recommended
Project Cars' breadth has long been its strength, and at long last it's something that's a pleasure to engage with. The series' sim status sometimes sat a bit awkwardly, and its cars were certainly awkward to handle, but I never considered it might work better like this. Be warned that it's still a Project Cars game, with moments of inelegance as commonplace as its moments of beauty. With its reinvention as a brash arcade racer, though, it feels like the series might just have found its true calling.
Full review

God is a Geek - 9/10
Slightly Mad Studios has taken a really bold step, changing the handling and overhauling the career mode of a series that is beloved by its hardcore audience. The result, however, makes for a more accessible experience that allows for some incredible wheel-to-wheel racing. It might not be the super serious sim that some expected, but Project CARS 3 is one of the best circuit racers on the market.
Full review

Press-Start - 8/10
Even without time with the multiplayer, it's hard to argue against Slightly Mad Studios' third iteration of the Project Cars series being the most accessible yet. It accomplishes its goal of finally making the series more inviting for newcomers and rewards you for diving deep into its variety of modes, though career can be frustratingly grindy at times. While not as impressive in its visual presentation, there's still a lot to love for newcomers and experienced Project Cars vets alike.
Full review

Stevivor - 3.5/10
In a lot of ways Project CARS 3 is reminiscent of the Forza Horizon series, though executed without any of the flair or fun that made the latter enjoyable. If you're a racing fan, be it arcade or simulation, I recommend you avoid this game – it's a thoroughly unenjoyable experience from a once great series.
Full review

HobbyConsolas - 8.7/10
Project CARS 3 is not a standard sequel. It takes a lot of content from the two previous games (including the realistic handling of the cars), but it adds some arcade ideas that work and make it look more like GRID.
Full review

TheSixthAxis - 6/10
Project CARS 3 suffers from a case of mistaken identity. Once you adjust to the new direction, you can get into a fun flow of ticking off objectives, drifting around hairpins and purchasing upgrades. However, while the series' existing platform means you get a great variety of circuits, cars and weather conditions, it also shackles this game from being a great arcade racing experience.
Full review

GameSpew - 8/10
Ultimately, I feel the greatest mistake that Project CARS 3 makes is being called what it is. Fans of the previous two games probably won't find what they expect here, while those who disliked them could possibly be put off by the name. This is essentially a paradigm shift for the series, taking it into new territory with mass-market appeal. And for racers like me, who like a game that controls well, has rewarding progression, and who aren't particularly bothered by the absence of serious sim elements, it's Slightly Mad Studios' best and most accessible game yet.
Full review

Video Reviews:

Last edited:

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
I got quite interested after watching some previews and seeing a bunch of similarities to Driveclub and especially the NFS Shift games in there.
Tried the first two Project Cars games but they are so horrible with a controller - this one seems cool tho

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I got quite interested after watching some previews and seeing a bunch of similarities to Driveclub and especially the NFS Shift games in there.
Tried the first two Project Cars games but they are so horrible with a controller - this one seems cool tho
Yeah, my impression was that this game would've been received better had it not been called Project CARS, and some of the reviews seem to point towards that. Prob not going to grab it until a sale or something, but it's good that we have games filling that simcade niche.

Deleted member 39587

Banned
Feb 6, 2018
Yeah, my impression was that this game would've been received better had it not been called Project CARS, and some of the reviews seem to point towards that. Prob not going to grab it until a sale or something, but it's good that we have games filling that simcade niche.
Yeah, I actually just got NFS Shift in a steam sale bc I had only ever played it on PS3 and seeing that this looks extremely similar to that game makes me very happy but I also fore sure won't get it at full price.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Such an unfortunate time to release game. If it was released with console launch it would have fine much better

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Damn looks like people concerns was right on the money about it not knowing what it wants to be
Yeah my issue was always "they shouldn't have called this PCars 3". If they were going simcade it really should be a new IP and game. PCars has a reputation, good or bad, and I think shackling this game with that rep, given some of the criticisms in these reviews comes across as if they didn't really know what direction they wanted to take.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Weird reviews. All over the place. I feel sim fans will be disappointed, but those who want something akin like DRIVECLUB might enjoy it.

I'm in both camps so not sure if I'll pick it up now.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I am going to wait for a deep sale. I loved PCars for the sim aspects, they actually nailed real racing with pit stops, fuel, yellow flags etc. It was basically one of the better sim racers. For me they took too much out of it. I think if they wanted to make it more sim-arcade they should of just made that a mode to select. But it is what it is. I will most likely still have some fun with it, especially in VR, but again will wait for a big deep sale or perhaps wait till it might hit Game Pass.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Holy crow, some of the very basic issues seem...unacceptable.

Such an unfortunate time to release game. If it was released with console launch it would have fine much better

Game sales (both software and hardware) are near all-time highs due to everything going on with COVID-related safety lockdowns. This (plus the leadup to next-gen) probably makes this the best possible time to release, especially since they're not dealing with any similar racers releasing at the same time, either.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know it was going more arcade-y for this release... I bought and enjoyed the first game (more or less), didn't get around to the second. I'll have to watch some videos about this one.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Not a surprising result, but a shame nonetheless. Absolutely adored both PC1 and PC2, they really offered something that you couldn't get into other AAA racing games. Yes, definitely rough at times and in many ways felt like really overly ambitious for the resources at hand, but the amount of control over customization you had in return was a definitely a big one for me. Especially disappointing is that it doesn't seem like the cut-down scope has enabled them to ship something with a similar production values as the Shift (not that I would've expected quite that degree anyway, EA as publisher does come with its benefits) or with something new to compensate for it.

Probably a pass for me for now at least, hopefully the next installment might get us back some of things that made me love the series.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
I was never able to enjoy PCARS because for me it wasn't as fun as an arcade game, and the handling didn't feels as good as other sims. If this one is more arcade, it could be better, but it will annoy all the fans that swore PCARS was better than Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, iRacing, Automobilista, etc

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Reading more and more of the written reviews (even re: observations from a few of the straight-up positive ones)....this feels like "three strikes you're out."

I'm hoping I'll get a chance to try this out in a demo/subscription setup, but I've been burned by these games without fail over the years. Maybe it'll click for me with the wheel in-hand, but I doubt it.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017

Holy crow, some of the very basic issues seem...unacceptable.

Game sales (both software and hardware) are near all-time highs due to everything going on with COVID-related safety lockdowns. This (plus the leadup to next-gen) probably makes this the best possible time to release, especially since they're not dealing with any similar racers releasing at the same time, either.

Oof. It's worse than I feared.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Reading more and more of the written reviews (even re: observations from a few of the straight-up positive ones)....this feels like "three strikes you're out."

I'm hoping I'll get a chance to try this out in a demo/subscription setup, but I've been burned by these games without fail over the years. Maybe it'll click for me with the wheel in-hand, but I doubt it.
There won't be a demo, the devs said.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like if you don't view it through the Project Cars lens it's probably a steady track racer.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
You have to laugh at the irony that a GOOD PC3 could have done really well, thanks to the next Forza Motorsport and GT7 being next gen only and still being a far ways out.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
For those posting Jimmy Broadbent's review of the game I would take Martin Robinson's of Eurogamer's review over that any day of the week. Martin Robinson is a connoiseur of racing games whose reviews I have read and enjoyed for many years. I also watch some of Jimmy's streams.

Jimmy can be very sour to the games he plays usually without putting in the work beforehand. The very last stream he did was just 'I hate this car' whenever he drove it. I usually dip in and out of Jimmy's endurance streams over the course of a race. His bad vibes in the last one probably turned me off for good.

To say nothing of Jimmy's fans who piled in to another streamer other the weekend for the sin of having the temerity to enjoy Project Cars 3.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just handed in my review for IGN Benelux, i'll add a link later when it goes live. Only got the review copy last friday and wanted a day to gather my thoughts after playing all weekend. This game is so weird. It feels like an excellent Codemasters racer, but a very poor Project CARS title. It's not an unenjoyable title by any means, but it feels very much unlike any of its predecessors. So there is a lot of fun to be had and the amount of content is very decent. It's just not even remotely a simracing game, which is fine i guess, but why not name it something else? There's also the obvious downgrades from the previous Project CARS titles in stuff like car detail, reflections and weather, which feels kind of strange. But overall I feel this is a decent enough arcade racer, that anyone looking to play an arcade racing game should give it a serious look.

edit* Looks like the review was posted, Dutchies can read it here: https://nl.ign.com/project-cars-3-ps4/125159/review/project-cars-3-review-eigenlijk-een-arcaderacer

Last edited:

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting some people will review it for what is it, and some will review if for what it's supposed to be (i.e. why did you remove pit stops in a Project Cars game).

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
So it sounds like they went full-on simcade? Did they not keep the ability to adjust the difficulty towards sim?

From the bits I've read so far, the game sounds pretty good. More up my alley than the previous games, since I could never get to grips with the controls (too sim). The game sounds polarizing due to the changes towards Simcade.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
They probably realized they can't compete with Kunios in the hardcore space and with GT/Forza in the more accessible simcades so they've tried another route.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The marketing for this game was abysmal, I had no idea it was coming out until weeks ago, and seeing the reviews I guess they were right not bothering with it.

What a downgrade.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i honestly expect this game to flop and be the last pcars, but its easily the one that seems the most promising to me lol

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, it blows my mind the the body kit customization is just a stat boost and doesn't affect visuals. Need for Speed Underground in 2003 had visual body upgrades.

thehorror

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Some XB1 footage, not sure if XB1X or S. Looks absolutely awful, makes me question whether or not something is wrong with the upload. I've seen PC footage and even that was lackluster, but this looks like complete shit

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Some XB1 footage, not sure if XB1X or S. Looks absolutely awful, makes me question whether or not something is wrong with the upload. I've seen PC footage and even that was lackluster, but this looks like complete shit

That has to be the base XB1 version, and that looks...really quite poor. The in-car view has half-framerate animations for the hands, which is really similar to Dirt Rally 2.0. Though here, it appears to be the hands and the wheel.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Amazed that this is getting such positive reviews, especially from somewhere like Eurogamer.

Jimmer's condensed thoughts were posted above, but he also did a ~3hr long stream of the game and it looked... bad.