• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I am waiting for a good deal on this game as I've been awfully busy with other games. But watching videos, it looks pretty decent to me.

terrible1fi

Jun 4, 2019
Honestly, I'm tempted to give this a try since I never really got into the more simy PCars 1 and 2, but the visuals are completely botched from what I can see on that DF video.
The rain effects on the car look terrible, the screen space reflections are even worse, pop in is really noticeable... that matte grey car to me seems it is floating some good inches above the ground.. I don't know, it just does not look right.

Not sure I can overcome that, really. I'm feeling pretty disconnected from the driving itself.

the physics feel a lot more connected to the road than most other "sims" like gt sport, while still being more forgiving when you push the limit of grip. All while feeling great on controller. It's a shame there's no demo as I think most people would really like it if they tried it.

mattypacker

Oct 29, 2017
Bristol UK
Been enjoying my time with this. As someone who uses controller, I found Project Cars 2 an absolute nightmare.

They've done a great job with the controller in 3, and have really enjoyed the daily challenges and general feel of the game. You can definitely feel the Driveclub inspiration from Rushy for sure.

Some frame rate issues on the Pro but nothinf that has really hurt my experience so far. Shame that it hasn't sold well. Hopefully word of mouth us at least decent so it has some legs.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

I'm shocked how bad this game looks on Pro in this video.

Screen tearing? Did pCARS 1 and 2 suffer from that? I can't really recall. I'm honestly not a huge stickler for visuals in this day and age but screen tearing is something that should really not be in modern major releases IMO. I'll take almost anything else in its place

firstadopter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite enjoying this game. It's the most fun I had with a racer since DriveClub. If you like simcade that handles well with a controller, pick this up. Ignore the haters. I also love how easy it is to get into a quick multiplayer race without jumping through all the time/hoops in other titles. One click and you're in.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Really wish this has legs and updates that iron out the clear issues. I continue to have lots of fun and coming back to it. It´s a diamond in the rough.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Screen tearing? Did pCARS 1 and 2 suffer from that? I can't really recall. I'm honestly not a huge stickler for visuals in this day and age but screen tearing is something that should really not be in modern major releases IMO. I'll take almost anything else in its place

Yes lots of tearing on Xbox.

Odelpha

Oct 17, 2018
Was interested in this game but as long as the dev doesn't fix the graphics I'm def not getting it.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I can understand that. It bewilders me that the team behind pCARS1/2 *and* Driveclub (at least a little), squeezed out a title that looks as below-standard as this. The only thing it really looks good against is Fast and the Furious lol

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for posting here like I did in the reviews thread. This game is more fun for me than the previous two. However, the graphics are very disappointing. I mean even comparing it to racing games from the beginning of this generation, it is behind.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Ran a 10 lap custom race (afternoon till night) on the Monaco (Azure) track last night and I thought it looked very good. It's a strange game graphically, as there are times when it looks amazing.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Ran a 10 lap custom race (afternoon till night) on the Monaco (Azure) track last night and I thought it looked very good. It's a strange game graphically, as there are times when it looks amazing.

Yes it's weird like that. Certain tracks, certain lighting conditions, certain cars - it can come together and look good. And other times looks terrible. Though performance is more important to me.

I find racing models on traditional racing circuits often look the best, and perform the best.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Yes it's weird like that. Certain tracks, certain lighting conditions, certain cars - it can come together and look good. And other times looks terrible. Though performance is more important to me.

I find racing models on traditional racing circuits often look the best, and perform the best.
Yeah the graphics need some work but I have to say I'm really enjoying the racing and handling. I think this is a great racing game actually and I've played just about everything since the mid 1980's.

It's a few patches away from being, dare I say, one of the best racing games I've ever played. Time will tell.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I'm not a great fan of the career progression though. Too much stuff locked. Too few credits given. And not enough focus on racing events - especially as other goals are given more importance than winning the races.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not a great fan of the career progression though. Too much stuff locked. Too few credits given. And not enough focus on racing events - especially as other goals are given more importance than winning the races.

I actually really like that. It breaks up the game a lot and makes it a lot more interesting than "just" winning.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Yeah I agree with the credits being too few. I have been selling a few cars to get enough credit to trade up even after completing a tier. It needs looked at.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
What I've also found is that if you set up a custom event and win you get credits rewarded but if you play the exact same setup, track and car again, you get nothing.

I would have thought you should get credits after every event but last night I ran two custom events at Monaco with the sames car and only got credits after the first race that I won.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
What I've also found is that if you set up a custom event and win you get credits rewarded but if you play the exact same setup, track and car again, you get nothing.

I would have thought you should get credits after every event but last night I ran two custom events at Monaco with the sames car and only got credits after the first race that I won.

Are you sure those credits weren't for levelling up?

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Maybe you're right yeah.
Last night was the first time I had a go at setting up custom events so not even sure if you get credit for winning them.

This was something that confused me. But I noticed when I levelled up I got some credits.

They could vastly open up the game and career by always giving credits for custom events. That's how other games usually work.

terrible1fi

Jun 4, 2019
This was something that confused me. But I noticed when I levelled up I got some credits.

They could vastly open up the game and career by always giving credits for custom events. That's how other games usually work.

you do get credits from doing custom events. In fact, you get credits for doing just about any activity in game. The caveat is, the credits come from any activity which has given enough XP to move you up to the next "tick" on the way up to the next driver level

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
fireshotcapture044pro29jzg.png

SMS' marketing team is just... wow.
Reminds me of "Buy a 360 if you don't have internet".

Oct 30, 2017
I love the driving in this game but the visuals and performance. My gosh. Tearing everywhere and shimmering! Frame drops and visual glitches galore! Will wait a bit for a patch to see if that helps.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
I love the driving in this game but the visuals and performance. My gosh. Tearing everywhere and shimmering! Frame drops and visual glitches galore! Will wait a bit for a patch to see if that helps.
Also really love the driving in this game but a patch is desperately needed. The amount of times I have had to restart an event in the career mode because the game has decided to reset the difficulty to easy.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Also really love the driving in this game but a patch is desperately needed. The amount of times I have had to restart an event in the career mode because the game has decided to reset the difficulty to easy.

Yeah I've noticed this more than once. You almost have to check every setting before each race as the game randomly resets your preferences. I'm loving the gameplay but I also agree that this game seriously needs fixing in quite a few areas.

I still think that it's got big protential though and a couple of patches could make it brilliant.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Never have I wanted a patch so badly for a game, because I'm having a great time despite many constant issues and awful performance. As someone said, it's a few patches away from being truly great and not just a diamond in the rough.

I even asked SMS on Twitter for news about a patch, they answered it's on the way.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
It could be worse, it could be the console version of Assetto Corsa Competizione which performs so badly on console it's only playable by masochists or people who don't get headaches.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
fireshotcapture044pro29jzg.png

SMS' marketing team is just... wow.
Reminds me of "Buy a 360 if you don't have internet".

With the amount of bullshit they cop over "wah this franchise doesn't have features I like anymore why don't you add them back in?" tweets, I don't blame them. It's not constructive feedback and it's no wonder their CM is fed up with it.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
With the amount of bullshit they cop over "wah this franchise doesn't have features I like anymore why don't you add them back in?" tweets, I don't blame them. It's not constructive feedback and it's no wonder their CM is fed up with it.
Yeah, this version of PCARS is absolutely not what I want and I am not going to buy it, but constantly harassing them online about it is just a dick move.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Yes pure garbage on my X. I should have waited for reviews. Frame pacing makes it unplayable for me.
That's really too bad. Hopefully they'll patch it with the GT4 DLC coming soon. Rumor is end of this month.

I just want a FOV slider at this point. I have to admit, I LOVE watching the races and sessions on fb and then re-playing them in the game. Go Vanthoor, go! It's exactly what I've wanted for a motorsports sim.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
From what I've seen the publisher PR say it doesn't look like ACC will be fixed on Xbox. They don't seem to know how to. Ridiculous situation. Unreal is terrible for racing games.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
From what I've seen the publisher PR say it doesn't look like ACC will be fixed on Xbox. They don't seem to know how to. Ridiculous situation. Unreal is terrible for racing games.
That sucks. It is ridiculous.

Milestone did a darn good job optimizing the engine for MotoGP. The first year they switched to Unreal was pretty rough, the motion blur was a mess and the wheels never touched the tarmac. Took them 3 iterations though.

Wonder if we'll see this upscaled for the next gen consoles?

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Still really enjoying PC3 but the wait for a patch is getting a bit long now.
This game really needed a day one patch if we're all being honest. Today is a month since release and still nothing.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Yes it's annoying that PC and PS4 have had patches but still nothing on Xbox.
Oh right, I didn't realise a patch was pushed out for PS4/PC. The xbox version really needs something soon.
Should have maybe bought the PS4 version, but was thinking ahead to probably getting a Series X first and playing PC3 on that.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Oh right, I didn't realise a patch was pushed out for PS4/PC. The xbox version really needs something soon.
Should have maybe bought the PS4 version, but was thinking ahead to probably getting a Series X first and playing PC3 on that.

At least I hope that on my Series X it should automatically play at 4K/60 without problem. But the visuals still need some tidying up.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
At least I hope that on my Series X it should automatically play at 4K/60 without problem. But the visuals still need some tidying up.
Yeah 4K/60 will be sweet but I agree with you the visuals are hit and miss. At the moment I'm playing on a basic launch xbone which doesn't help matters much...lol.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Just getting around to updating PC3 now. How is it performing on xbox Maturin?

22GB means I'll be running it overnight.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Just getting around to updating PC3 now. How is it performing on xbox Maturin?

22GB means I'll be running it overnight.

Haven't played it lots over the last week due to picking up WRC9 and mostly playing that.

Am really looking forward to seeing how PC3 works on Xbox Series X. I'm assuming resolution mode will run at 60fps with no tearing. Be great if we got an update to let it run at full 4K.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
A buddy of mine that works at Codemasters sent me his staff code for the Deluxe edition. So I'm giving it a go.

So far it seems pretty good. The handling model is really nice on a controller, and the cars have good weight and personality to them.

The menus are perhaps a little bloated but I like that the game feels quite rewarding. Each event has objectives to complete and there's a good variety of events outside of just racing. It never keeps you doing the same thing for too long.

Visually the game is fine to look at. It doesn't have much spectacle to it, but it looks fine. I think the problem here comes from the fact that this series was focused on simulation, where I think graphical compromises are perfectly acceptable for the sake of achieving things like realistic physics, but arcade racers tend to be more focused on spectacle, which is missing here because of the series history as a sim racer. They'd probably need to refocus the engine to get it looking like it should.

But in terms of the driving experience, I think it's really a great game. The cars feel really intuitive to drive but at the same time, grounded and realistic enough that the model is believable. For more casual players that just want the experience of what they imagine driving a race car is like, I think this offers a really good time. For me, the handling model is more fun to play with than Forza Horizon, Driveclub or Codemasters own GRID series.

AI offers a good race too. I upped the difficulty to hard from the outset and it feels good. The opposing AI always give me a good race, it's a battle to get up into top 3 and then a challenge to contend those positions. I really like that as I think most racing games really suffer in that department. It often feels like I'm either first or last, and that events are either too easy, or too hard. In Gran Turismo Sport I can't get a good race against the AI without deliberately handicapping myself.

Overall pretty good, just would be nice if it looked the part too. If it felt like this and looked like Driveclub it could be my favourite racing game of recent years.