• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of Square Enix's next gen games looks more promising?

• Project Athia

Votes: 264 35.7%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 476 64.3%

• Total voters

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Although i dont like the DMC battle-system in FFXVI, cause from the trailer it looks a bit too fast, i'm still very excited to play the game, and it seems like we will get it in 1-2 years. Project Athia on the other hand looks like it has a long way to go, so FFXVI looks much more promising to me!

I'm surprised they haven't used Agni's Philosphy for anything, cause the tech demo looks very interesting, and i would also preferred that world to FFXVI more, but maybe we will see it in FFXVII.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
FF16 had a huge blowout trailer where they showed story, combat and a lot of the setting. Project Athia showed a girl jumping around with 1-2 second clips of monsters.
I am almost certain the Project Athia will be the more interesting game down the line, but there's next to nothing to go on. FF16 may not be super flashy in comparison, but it looks really solid and is unlikely to disappoint or be filled with the things that ruin Final Fantasy for me because of the team working on it. So right now, the FF16 is winning the race for me personally.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
(DQ12)>(KH4)>FF16>(FF7R2)>Athia, but I'll probably play all of them

A new Tri-Ace game would go in between FF16 and FF7R2, but Idk if I have confidence they'll do anything

Dec 16, 2017
Athia looks prettier and I'm a sucker for that. I'm interested in both even though the only Final Fantasy I've invested real time in in the last 20 years was FF7R.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Athia is actually bigger mystery than FFXVI. I have no idea what that game is supposed to be.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I think Athia is going to be meh. I have zero trust on the FFXV team.

XVI on the other hand looks like a much needed breath of fresh air for the FF franchise.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I would say Athia looks more interesting, but then i remember Gary Whitta is one of the writers lol so my interest took a dive.

I will give XVI the benefit of the doubt for now.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Currently, Athia's visual is better than XVI, in my opinion.

I can't believe how much XVI was similar like XIV first time I saw it, and not in a good way... : /

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Visually, FFXVI didn't do much for me. But I haven't been looking forward to a FF this much in a long time, mainly because of the people behind it. They know the history, the legacy and the expectations. It was undoubtedly a Final Fantasy game.

Project Athia looked way more impressive and has me intrigued for a different reason. It looks to be a true next-gen leap, and looks to carry on what FF games usually did when it comes to visuals/technology. Almost makes me wish FFXVI was based on Luminous... But I understand why they didn't go that route.

I'm looking forward to both for different reasons.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Athia is made by the FF XV team

FFXVI is made by Yoshida and DMC 5/ Dragon's Dogma combat designer

Pretty obvious.

DQXI selling like gangbusters sure convince them to do turn based. Oh wait......shit.

DQXI sold like gangbusters in Japan, in the West it did poorly
The vast majority of FF sales are in the West, so no wonder they are making an action-RPG game and not turn based.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
honestly I expect athia to come out like half a decade from now and be mostly nothing like what we saw

I'm kind of puzzled why they even bothered showing it with FF15 on the roster but may be more than meets the eye going on there i dunno

Oct 25, 2017
FFXVI is basically the dream, so it's definitely that for me haha they both look interesting and different though so thats no disparagement on athia

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Athia looks cool but more like a tech demo or something

FFXVI is more exciting by virtue of being more real

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
One of those games has been in development hell for years, and the other is FF16.

I just can't get excited for Athia at all.

Oct 28, 2017
FFXVI, though I might be biased as I think that the FFXVI is actually headed by a competent team who I trust to ship a game in a reasonable state in reasonable timeframe.

Stu

Nov 2, 2017
Imagine if Athia turns out to be FFXVII :o ....

But right now 16, apart from the horrible combat.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have not seen enough of both. The FF trailer feels way mire generic and forgettable and Athia didn't show much.

People are hailing FF XIV so much though so I hope that The new one will show that.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I give my vote to FFXVI, but not out of any sort of ill will toward Athia. They both look awesome.

I'm a fan of the composer, director, and the more obviously action-oriented approach of FFXVI, plus the prestige of being a numbered FF title with all of those things considered as well.

I think Athia is a very cool looking new IP, and also seems to be hinting at being more action-oriented. I definitely want to know more; I am definitely going to keep an eye on new developments with Athia. But there's hooks of familiarity that kinda edge FFXVI up for me.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
XVI cause i didn't think Athia looked good actually, and it looks like a game that will never be released.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Saw a minute of Athia and I'm not sure if the footage was indicative of game play or concept.

Saw 4 minutes of FFXVI that was too early to even show party mechanics.

At this point I have no idea🤪

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I need to see more of Athia before I can judge. What they showed so far has been tantamount to a tech demo, honestly. No idea of story or characters at all.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One showed a clear focus, theme and actual gameplay. It feels like a project that has a vision and is confident enough to show gameplay.

The other one is basically a very cool tech demo that didn't say anything about what kind of game is and that is probably years away.

So XVI is my clear winner.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Athia looks like another FFVersus15 or Deep Down situation meant to drump up new gen hype.

XVI actually looks like a real game coming 1-3 years from now.

Theron

Oct 28, 2017
I'm intrigued by Athia, but seen too little of it to say it is more promising. I'm sure FF XVI will be a good game, but not blown away so far.

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
Athia looks like it is early/mid production, whereas I believe FF16 is further along. I feel like a lot more can/will change with Athia than FF16.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Athia looks way better visually. The lighting and particle effects were leagues ahead.

But FFXVI looks more engaging as a concept I guess.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The one with the DMCV and Dragon's Dogma combat designer.

Excited to see more of Athia at some point though.

Kitano

Mar 28, 2019
Between the two FF16, I thought Athia was pretty meh from what they showed at the PS5 reveal.

But actually none of them actually impressed me, I was more impacted to see the FF16 logo at the end of the trailer than the showcase itself last Wednesday.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FFXVI looks dated because it was probably in development for several years. Which means its release date might be sooner than we think.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
We've seen a fair amount of what FFXVI is about in its trailer. I wouldn't really trust people that claimed Athia is more promising when we don't even know anything about it but its visuals. They do look more like a proper next gen product, but visuals aren't really everything when it comes to video games. Plus XVI doesn't even look bad, though it definitely screams "I was developed for current gen, but moved to PS5."

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One team made XV, the other one made Shadowbringers.