• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of Square Enix's next gen games looks more promising?

• Project Athia

Votes: 264 35.7%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 476 64.3%

• Total voters

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Project Athia looked amazing in all aspects. Even the little glimpse of combat looked interesting. Nothing impressed me with FFXVI at all. I actually think the combat in that looks out of place.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Not really fair.
FF16's trailer gave a pretty good sense of what the game is. Athia is still a bit of a mystery.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
FFXVI by a long shot because I can clearly see what the game is gonna be like and it looks more appealing to me.

Visually? Athia looks more appealing, but i guess that's because it's probably further along in its development.

But XVI's story and setting looks more promising

XVI is further along.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
16 has the best people at S-E working on it sans Ishikawa, Athia has what the XV team working on it? ROFL

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Both.

Project Athia looks more graphically impressive but we have seen very little of what it is actually about.

FFXVI needs more polish in the graphics department but looks further along and looks pretty epic.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Project Athia looks cool and I'm definitely interested, but...

FFXVI looks like the FFXIV all-stars team have been watching way too much Game of Thrones and I want that.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of them has a character jumping around piles of rock trying to distract you with gorgeous graphics, the other has the character devil may crying classic FF enemies and huge summons fucking each other up. I'm pretty sure it's not a contest unless you go ahead and imagine what Athia will be like on your own.

In Athia's defense, this is an unfair comparison, considering we were shown literally 30 seconds of actual footage vs XVI 3:30+ minutes.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
FF16 looks like it might have a chance in coming out in a year or 2. Athia seem like 5 years away

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
XVI looks like a real game. Athia seems more like a concept right now. I'll be more excited for it when we see more. XVI honestly looks like the most appealing single player Final Fantasy game since XII for me. Love the tone and the fact that some big XIV devs are working on it.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Athia just looks like a tech demo right now. Not really a fair comparison.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They barely showed anything of Athia. It gives me tech demo vibes honestly, and I'm not convinced it'll end up coming out.

They showed more with FF and I thought it looked more appealing.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Athia has a really cool, beautiful visual concept but I don't know much about it other than it's apparently being made by a lot of the people who were behind XV......... that's not a major positive in my eyes(not a huge negative either, XV wasn't ALL bad).

FFXVI has a proven team behind it with a great battle director and a new FF world that could go in any number of directions and this is clearly a functioning video game well into development. On the other hand, the visuals don't seem especially sexy so far and we didn't see much of the new world at all or any real diversity in characters. Still, I think it has a ton of promise based on what I've seen.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I need to see more of Athia so for now just because of more content shown I will go with FFXVI

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Project Athia is done by the Final Fantasy XV team
Final Fantasy XVI is done by the Final Fantasy XIV team

Should be enough to think that 16 looks more promising for now. Doesn't mean Athia will necessarly be bad tho. I really hope the team get to have a project of their own and not try to salvage Nomura's work in a matter of months.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
athia hasn't shown enough to garner any interest from me.

ffxvi had moves ripped straight from Nero so that.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Its hard to get excited for Athia when it doesnt even have a proper name.
FF16 looks underwhelming graphically but I loved everything else about it.

Plus, its mainline FF. In my books only a new rockstar open world game could generate more anticipation.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I welcome both, but Athia has more potential to stray from FF's comfort zone and nostalgia fueled tradition based on what we've seen.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
After reading all the story speculation from some users here and how serious the game is going to be, then FFXVI is now my most anticipated game (along with Demons Souls and Elden Ring).
We dont know a thing about Project Athia.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Are we sure Athia isn't just XVI ? XVI could have multiple playable characters and different looking regions for all we know.

I thought these comments would stop once Square Enix announced Final Fantasy XVI as a completely different project made by completely different people, but I guess that was optimistic.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
I'm just not interested in the setting of FFXVI and I don't think I will even play it.

Athia looks great and I'm interested, but for all we know it could be a decade away or vaporware.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Athia looks like your typical S-E target render teaser which may come in three or ten years, while FFXVI looks like a real game that may come out in two years, the latter looks way more promising.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
FFXVI has me excited with the gritty tone and divergence more into the fantasy aesthetic as opposed to the more modern current day one. Also the combat has me intrigued as I either want proper turn based or full on action, not a halfway commitment. Knowing who is behind FFXVI has me confident that it will deliver.

Project Athia has grabbed my interest as well, I'm just a little more reluctant to be confident in something being done by the FFXV team as I didn't care much for that game personally.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Project Athia by far, it actually has a woman as the protagonist. XVI is going to have the kind of story where women are mostly relegated to lesser roles since the patriarchy rules even fantasy. (I'd love to be proven wrong.)

Last edited:

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
The Athia team proved that they can't be trusted to make a good game with FFXV, so with that alone it's FFXVI by a billion percent.

Adding on FFXVI's setting, writing and style and well... it wasn't even fair to begin with.

I'm sure Athia will look flashy and have lots of polish though.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Athia is really promising, but we don't know much about it. I'm excited for it. XVI is kind of, by default, going to come with a lot of excitement.

I'm excited almost equally for both. It's great that SE is putting out several big JRPG projects at the same time, with at least one big one being a new AAA project. I'm happy about that

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Graphics vs Gameplay the thread.

I can't be excited for something I know nothing about

So FFXVI for me.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I'm definitely interested in seeing how Athia turns out, since the development team is finally getting to do their own thing with an engine they are now fully familiar with. I didn't hate FFXV or anything, but it's clear the game was deeply troubled due to the fact they were trying to salvage a failed project, and the Luminous Studio was still being developed simultaneously. It's interesting to see what the studio can achieve with now that those constraints are removed.

But, of course I voted FFXVI. I love everything they showed in the trailer and the style, tone and setting is exactly what I was hoping for. It had a very confident first showing in that everything was in-engine and looks like it's from an actual game, instead of being CG or target renders of what they hope the game will turn out and this is probably the first mainline game that hopefully gets to have a smooth dev cycle in ages. I legitimately haven't been this excited about a new FF game since XII.

COCONUT

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Athia at least looks like a next gen game to me. Very similiar to FFXV PC V. But actually im interested in both.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Athia. The trailer for FF16 did nothing for me as a long time FF fan. I don't think the setting or the characters look very interesting. On the other hand, Athia already has what is presumably a black female protagonist in a setting that looks to be more interesting than that of FF16. Hope we get more info soon

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Project Athia by far, it actually has a woman as the protagonist. XVI is going to have the kind of story where women are mostly relegated to lesser roles since the patriarchy rules even fantasy. (I'd love to be proven wrong.)

Yeah, I agree...disappointing reveal on gender and ethnicity mix. Funny how Toriyama, despite other issues with his games, seems to be the best on this front. It is great that Athia has a female protag, particularly after FFXV...

Also, wish we could get a fantasy story where we weren't just reinforcing the monarchy and aristocracy in some form as well. Like some sort of leader of peasant uprising that overthrows the monarchy and sets up some sort of communal democratic free state. I mean peasant uprising did happen throughout history, they were just most often crushed. But yeah, I agree, tired of fantasy tropes across games, movies and books, even though I enjoy the genre and I am still pretty hyped about this. Fantasy often does a bad job of exploring interesting themes / philosophies. Sci fi in books at least can be much better in this aspect.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
FF16 by far
It got bland environment, but otherwise it looks very interesting. On the other hand we know next to nothing about project athia

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
FFXVI because I like the setting/story setup more. Also beginning to wonder if it's not just Ivalice that attracts me to that style of medieval fantasy and rather just Chocobos, Moogles, etc. that makes it not feel so Tolkien-derivative (at least on the surface) because I also enjoyed my time in FXIV.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
XVI looks like a tangible video game in development that looks like it'd be interesting to play

I don't even know what the fuck Athia is supposed to be right now

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to see more of Athia. It looks phenomenal, and having it start a minority woman is great.

FFXVI is just a much bigger deal to me though. It's a brand new entry in the final fantasy series, and the first trailer set up the story and combat while Athia didn't show much at all. I can't wait to see more of each, but XVI is on another level for me.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Athia didn't do much for me, but that F16 trailer completely turned me off from the game. I don't like the setting or the style and the graphics weren't impressive at all. So Athia for me.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I have 0 faith in white collars and higher up management / product placement / marketing / brand managers in Square not fucking up royaly by interferring with both projects

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I agree...disappointing reveal on gender and ethnicity mix. Funny how Toriyama, despite other issues with his games, seems to be the best on this front. It is great that Athia has a female protag, particularly after FFXV...

Also, wish we could get a fantasy story where we weren't just reinforcing the monarchy and aristocracy in some form as well. Like some sort of leader of peasant uprising that overthrows the monarchy and sets up some sort of communal democratic free state. I mean peasant uprising did happen throughout history, they were just most often crushed. But yeah, I agree, tired of fantasy tropes across games, movies and books, even though I enjoy the genre and I am still pretty hyped about this. Fantasy often does a bad job of exploring interesting themes / philosophies. Sci fi in books at least can be much better in this aspect.

Toriyama has nothing to do with Athia though.

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know. At the moment we've seen gameplay and cinematic beats from XVI and really nothing from Athia. I am very excited by both; XVI has a fantastic team working on it and a new IP from a reformed and refocused Luminous Productions has a lot of potential with Athia.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
FF16 all the way. Yoshi as a producer makes this instantly more interesting than Athia. He made something special with FF14.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
FFXVI cuz I believe it's further in Development and looks way more exciting than Athia so far. but tbh I will buy both cuz I'm a Square nut