• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of Square Enix's next gen games looks more promising?

• Project Athia

Votes: 264 35.7%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 476 64.3%

• Total voters

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
In the span of the last 3 months, SE has announced two ambitious looking next gen projects with the PS5 showcase event hype behind them. One is supposedly an all new IP (though it seems very Final Fantasyish), and the other is the next mainline Final Fantasy installment. I could easily ask which one is the one you are looking forward to most, but I am betting most here are FF fans and they of course will choose FFXVI.

But as we have seen both of these games in action, and have seen the aesthetic style behind them as well, which of the two looks more promising IYO? Project Athia's world has the edge for me, the world just looks much more appealing and more of my taste.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am much more interested in FFXVI but it's because I like political, stately FF and this looks to be that sort of narrative.

Oct 25, 2017
At least to me, Project Athia.

I'm sure I will greatly enjoy FFXVI, but Athia represents a new franchise, a completely new direction with no restrictions to the Final Fantasy franchise, and it's made by a team that proved itself worthy with FFXV, and a GREAT Engine in the form of Luminous.

I'm sure in the end both will be great, and XVI is a new entry on a legendary series. But when I saw the Athia trailer my mind was blown, and when I saw XVI's trailer I was left expecting something that looked better.

At least visually, Athia really looked next gen, and it seems that the open world traversal will be fast and fun, also the character looks interesting, as does the setting.

I need to see what kind of combat system Athia will have, because I really liked what I saw of XVI's, though.

My vote, as of now, goes to Athia.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Visually? Athia looks more appealing, but i guess that's because it's probably further along in its development.

But XVI's story and setting looks more promising

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
We saw plants and rocks in Project Athia... nothing much to get excited about. For the moment, FFXVI as it's a Final Fantasy project.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Athia looked more visually impressive but nothing we saw or know about the game interests me, whereas XVI seems like a spiritual successor to Matsuno's work and that alone has sold me on the game. Haven't played XIV but this team has a great track record and I trust them to deliver an amazing experience.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
FF16 has the pedigree I enjoy so I'm not worried about that

Athia is more unproven but I want to see what the team could do without all the hurdles of XV. Plus athia's MC looks like a PoC woman and we need more of that

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
While it looks generic the combat in FF16 is bomb and the people behind it are superb so I have more faith and hype for that one. Older MC version looks cool too and that music.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
XVI a billion percent. I don't have much faith in the Athia team, even with Tabata gone. Especially if Takatsugu Nakazawa is the design lead, since I've literally never enjoyed a system he's headlined.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen enough of Project Athia to form an opinion yet, but I'm interested so far.

But I mean Final Fantasy XVI is Final Fantasy, and it's from the Final Fantasy XIV team, so yeah.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I... I can't choose. :(

One one hand, Project Athia is using the Luminous Engine and what we've already glimpsed looked gorgeous so I am 100% expecting it to look visually way more impressive, which means potentially a much more enjoyable world to explore, too.
But I'm not sure how into it being an isekai I am, and so far the protag's design (outfit) is kinda meh. We've also not seen any other characters and characters are a huge pull for me so there's just not much to go on yet.

Then on the other hand, with XVI, it has a more classic fantasy setting which I am all about, a hot main male protag (I'm shallow, sue me), and a potentially very interesting story.
But it's already visually not as impressive as Athia, the shown settings so far are very drab, and the character deigns have also been kinda boring.

I guess after breaking it down XVI probably edges Athia out? But mostly because we just know so little about Athia beyond some visuals.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
We hardly saw anything meaningful in Athia trailer., but no doubt I have billion times more faith in heavenward team and Yoshi p than XV team.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I... I can't choose. :(

One one hand, Project Athia is using the Luminous Engine and what we've already glimpsed looked gorgeous so I am 100% expecting it to look visually way more impressive, which means potentially a much more enjoyable world to explore, too.
But I'm not sure how into it being an isekai I am, and so far the protag's design (outfit) is kinda meh. We've also not seen any other characters and characters are a huge pull for me so there's just not much to go on yet.

Then on the other hand, with XVI, it has a more classic fantasy setting which I am all about, a hot main male protag (I'm shallow, sue me), and a potentially very interesting story.
But it's already visually not as impressive as Athia, the shown settings so far are very drab, and the character deigns have also been kinda boring.

I guess after breaking it down XVI probably edges Athia out? But mostly because we just know so little about Athia beyond some visuals.
Wait, Athia is an Isekai story? For real?

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
the one that is announced for pc not the one that was announced then not announced for pc

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
VIIR Part 2 or whatever the next Kingdom Hearts is

Athia and XVI were both so underwhelming I can't pick between them. I think maybe XVI looked better but also it's a mainline FF and has higher expectations, Athia isn't a let down

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Well, due to being new Athia has a lot of potential but... They barely showed anything and I have no idea what the game is about. So I have to go with FFXVI, as they showed more and what they showed was pretty much in line with what I like in a Final Fantasy game.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm in love with FFXVI's setting and what I've seen so far so definitely that for me. Plus it's Final Fantasy, which is my all time favorite game series, so maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I have more faith that XVI will be the better game, but Athia looks more interesting.

Sep 14, 2018
Athia barely showed anything, FFXVI looks more promising by default.

Also that team made XV so... that says it all.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know anything about Athia, but it was more interesting for me. I'm not a FF fan though and haven't played any game in this series (except some minutes of FFXII).
FFXVI had the least interesting announcement trailer for me, from days of FFXII to this day.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
We know pretty much nothing about Project Athia at this moment, so my vote goes to XVI.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, FF 15 clothing also look like something from our world. And same team too. Maybe that's just the aesthethic they like
Sure, that's possible, but I actually just went and rewatched the trailer to refresh my memory and it literally starts out with 'In a world not her own' as she's walking through like medieval looking ruins in sneakers, so I definitely think isekai is pretty heavily implied.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
You are literally comparing a project without a final name yet to a mainline Final Fantasy game. It's a given that FFXVI is going to win the poll. I'm far more interested in XVI so far but Athia also looked great and I suspect it is what the Agni's philosophy tech demo was for so it could also be incredibly promising. Not going to beat a mainline FF title though.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have absolute faith in CBU3 to deliver a masterpiece.

I said in another thread but FFXVI is practically a dream for me. It's from my favorite team at Square Enix, the game looks well into development that it can't be too far off, and we'll potentially get a Heavensward-tier setting and story with what looks like a Dragon Dogma-ish open-world and DMC-lite ARPG combat.

Athia is more of an unknown, because I wasn't that taken with FFXV. But it sure does look really good.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Hard to trust they can utilize Luminous engine well when it was the same team that did FFXV.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Whichever one is turnbased.
giphy.gif

Save us Yuji Hori, you're our only hope (even though you wanted to turn DQ9 into an ARPG to start with).

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing as how Project Athia is a new IP, I can't assume I'll know what I'll be getting myself into. XVI on the other hand... XII is my favorite FF, so I'm a bit biased here.

Either way, I hope we get some info on both for TGS.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure Athia isn't just XVI ? XVI could have multiple playable characters and different looking regions for all we know.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I mean, FF 15 clothing also look like something from our world. And same team too. Maybe that's just the aesthethic they like

"In a world not her own"

Make of that what you will.

Anyway FF XVI for now but we need to see more of Athia. At the very least this gets me excited:

5ee533d40b84241f70fe5fde_whitta.png

Also I'm happy we'll get XVI, Athia, and VII Part 2 this gen. Reminds me of FF VII, VIII, and IX coming out on PS1.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Athia definitely looks more promising, but it sure has that sort of tech demo-y feel and focused on wowing you with their visual flair. Which is cool but XVI looks like they have a firm grasp on what they want to do. The gameplay surprisingly looks amazing and not trying to be this half step between turn based and action. And yeah above all it's more promising cos it feels more confident and "finished". Can't wait

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Wait for Project Athia to be FFXVII

Project Athia looks more visually intensive and cool..liked the platforming bit in the trailer

But XVI will be immense.

Oct 25, 2017
We know pretty much nothing about Athia, so FF XVI by default is more interesting.

Athia is graphically impressive, and we know it has a female lead. Those two things are cool, but we have no idea what it will play like

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Athia definitely looks more promising, but it sure has that sort of tech demo-y feel and focused on wowing you with their visual flair. Which is cool but XVI looks like they have a firm grasp on what they want to do. The gameplay surprisingly looks amazing and not trying to be this half step between turn based and action. And yeah above all it's more promising cos it feels more confident and "finished". Can't wait

IMO going off that above tweet, Athia looks to be fleshed out and planned (at least the writing and universe is). But they've shown us nothing really so gonna need to wait to see more for a better grasp. But it seems promising. I don't think the lack of footage now means a lack of vision.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Visually is by far Athia!!
FFXVI looked a little ugly but the gameplay looked really cool!!
they say that Athia is a 2021 game?
hope to see more soon!!

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
IMO going off that above tweet, Athia looks to be fleshed out and planned (at least the writing and universe is). But they've shown us nothing really so gonna need to wait to see more for a better grasp. But it seems promising. I don't think the lack of footage now means a lack of vision.
So was Versus XIII in 2009.

I mean clearly there is vision but that statement means nothing frankly.
----

XVI is definitely more of a tangible product atm

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
We know nothing about athia. The 16 trailer had about 10x as much substance as the athia reveal trailer. This thread is way to premature

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
So was Versus XIII in 2009.

I mean clearly there is vision but that statement means nothing frankly.
----

XVI is definitely more of a tangible product atm

I don't think they're comparable because they're not developing for PS3 with Crystal Tools. Obviously XVI is more tangible *now* though but that's just publicly.