• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Religion is a powerful tool that can be used to change society. Hypocrites are using it to justify their cruelity and corruption.

Is the progressive movement missing out on arguing for progressive policies using faith as a basis? Should religion take a more prominent role in the movement?

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Religion shouldn't take a prominent role in anything to do with public discourse. That's precisely the problem. Religion + power is a bad mix.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
There are plenty of religious sects that follow progressive policies.

The problem is Evangelical Christians eclipse basically all of them combined in terms of numbers, and it's primarily people who follow that religion that are all in on super right-wing stuff.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Religion can always be twisted into anything people want and can be used as a destructive tool - I think using human empathy, compassion and science as the basis for progress is what we need to continue doing.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think we can stand to be less dismissive of it. I'm not religious myself but I've grown up in communities of faith and it's not an inherently bad way to live. Anyone who wants to push regressive ideas will use any method they can with religion just being one tool.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. The progressive movement should not dismiss or exclude people who are religious. But it should emphasize that everyone practice their personal faith-based beliefs in their private life while using the tools of science and commerce in the secular public commons in order to get along with one another and cooperate to produce a better future for everyone.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck reclaiming it. The nature of religion isn't like going to let you argue your version as the superior one to overwrite the one that is driving all the conservative trash.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Religion shouldn't take a prominent role in anything to do with public discourse. That's precisely the problem. Religion + power is a bad mix.
Religion is power. Ignoring the fact that that precise dynamic is pervasive in every community to some degree amounts to begging to be blindsided.

"Progressive" (whatever that means to you) movements need to at the very least be cognizant of that and not dismiss religious themes outright. What they can't do is use religion as a spearhead, because then you'd inevitably end up alienating different groups.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of religious sects that follow progressive policies.

The problem is Evangelical Christians eclipse basically all of them combined in terms of numbers, and it's primarily people who follow that religion that are all in on super right-wing stuff.
I don't think that's true. It's just that the others aren't as loud or eager to leverage it for power.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Nah. The progressive movement should not dismiss or exclude people who are religious. But it should emphasize that everyone practice their personal faith-based beliefs in their private life while using the tools of science and commerce in the secular public commons in order to get along with one another and cooperate to produce a better future for everyone.
Yeah basically. Even the federation had theocracy like societies even though it could be problematic at times

300px-Bariel.jpg

Oct 7, 2018
USA
The least we can do is start taxing these big churches. If they're going to grift a bunch of mindless zombies and hold back the progress of society they need to pay for that right just like any other mega corp.

I'm not trying to destroy small churches that actually help their communities but any money brought in over 100k should be taxed like any other business.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Faith is just high flown irrationality, so no thanks. Let's be reasonable instead.

Faith can justify absolutely anything. It would be better to focus on education, with the goal of having a largely rational populace.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would rather have no faith involved but something has to be done to counter right-wing Christian nationalism being mainstream on TV. So in that sense it would help to have Progressive religious people make guest appearances on Fox and maybe get some idiot watching somewhere to rethink their views.

LOL I've seen some bigoted terrible people in my life and it amazes me that they think they're actually good people only because they are religious.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'd only reclaim it in the sense that it and government should be completely separate, but I don't really feel there's much worth claiming in the first place.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I don't think that's true. It's just that the others aren't as loud or eager to leverage it for power.
Evangelical Christians make up roughly 25% of the U.S. population just by themselves. Combine them with other conservative sects and taking out nonreligious people (~23%), they are clearly the biggest influencers on national policy among all religions.

To put it in perspective, did you know Biden is only the 2nd Catholic to be elected President?

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not something to fuck around with. You can't take it back later - people take religion seriously. If religion is the one true source of morality, your laws can't go against it down the line.

Include religious people, but don't try to use faith as the basis for policy. You will burn yourselves badly in the future.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Evangelical Christians make up roughly 25% of the U.S. population just by themselves. Combine them with other conservative sects and taking out nonreligious people (~23%), they are clearly the biggest influencers on national policy among all religions.

To put it in perspective, did you know Biden is only the 2nd Catholic to be elected President?
That 25% figure seems debatable, and looking it up seems like that's that absolute upper it can be based on variable definitions.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
That's not the problem. Think about what religion is, like on an existential level. It's the belief in something else that doesn't necessitate independence or introspection beyond the echo chamber of the religion (if not just within your own head).

A book written a thousand years ago determines what is right and what it wrong. That's simple. Never mind the historical inconsistencies or the political agenda of what was accepted into these religious texts or even the interpretation of them. Never mind that as society progressed more and more elements of the book were considered "allegorical" or "not part of our version of this religion." It is baked in hypocrisy unless you are a straight up devout orthodox purveyor of the religion and even then there are still things you likely will be hypocritical about because it's just the 21st century. And I think it's that combination of teaching people to not think for themselves but follow the pack while also instilling a fundamental mistrust because of the inherent hypocrisy of their religion that makes it so easy for many to be deluded.

That's not what I want from a progressive party. If anything we should want them to divorce themselves from religion as much as possible. Because nothing says positive social change like religion...

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I want from a progressive party. If anything we should want them to divorce themselves from religion as much as possible. Because nothing says positive social change like religion...
The black church has done more for the good of the US than literally any other movement or organization you've supported.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
There are plenty of progressive religious people out there and it's not as if black folk being pretty religious as a group has moved the needle as far as white American Christianity is concerned.

You need look no farther than the mass murder of people in a church not moving the needle as far as gun control is concerned to see how little co-religionists matter to many white Americans if it interferes with their more deeply held beliefs.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
What does reclaim mean?

If you mean embrace it, use it, to what extent?

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
I think there needs to be a big push within religious circles to highlight the fact that their political practices go exactly opposite of what they claim their core values are. The Jesus I grew up reading would absolutely be hated by the current GOP supporting evangelicals.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that just the history of any religion/belief people love using it to justify their actions whether good or bad. Lots of history of bad ones though.

Tired of the president and other people in charge saying they are gonna go pray and to thank god every speech.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
You can use faith to justify literally anything. I mean, that's exactly what people do. It's pretty objectively not a good substitute for reason, understanding, or anything, really.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
I'm not American, but the American right has a field day reaping up religious voters by invoking God and the Bible constantly. It's gotten to the point that many religious circles have come to identity being religious with being a Republican, simply because they don't hear the Democrats appealing to them as much, and in the worst cases you have people who see being a Republican as an integral and necessary part of their religion (the Capitol riot was very much a Christian and religious thing).
I wonder out loud how things would look like if Democrats weaponized religion for left-wing economic policies, social justice, etc. like the Republicans do for anti-abortion, anti-prostitution, etc.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
As a counter-programming measure sure, I've lost my family to their faith and I would rather I be the last one to experience that pain but I know better. The least that can be done is show different expressions of faith, that aren't so regressive, that aren't so perverted to fit the capitalist mold our society has, the way Evangelical Christians have done.

EDIT: For the pain it has caused me, I have seen and am aware at how powerful faith can be. The way it can bind together a family, a people or a singular person who is facing a horrible situation. In a way I cannot judge those who have faith in their religions or beliefs, their gods; for I tend to place my faith in my fellow human beings more than I probably should. I don't think it's something to be exterminated or banned or restricted, but there is definitely a monopoly that we are experiencing as to the voices we often tend to hear and THAT at the very least can stand to be changed to a diverse chorus of the faithful.

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Like, y'all do realize you don't give a shit about other people because of how educated or rational you are right? You care because you have empathy. Some folks are naturally empathetic, some folks grow up in an empathetic environment and learn it that way, some folks grow up in an environment lacking empathy and and push against being that way. Some people learn empathy in their religious communities. Sticking your fingers in your ears to loudly declare that religion is the problem and that if we just ignore it or got rid of it things would be better is just ignoring reality.

The online skeptics community is a bunch of racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic assholes not because they're atheists, but because they're a group lead by a bunch of unempathetic assholes who set the tone for those who follow them. White evangelicals aren't a bunch of racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic assholes because they're religious, but because they're a group lead by a bunch of unempathetic assholes who set the tone for those who follow them

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
Religion is a power structure where the people at the top cannot receive accountability. Not good for public policy.

Worst part is that even religious people agree to this, except for their own religion which is somehow the untampered word of God(s).

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Like, y'all do realize you don't give a shit about other people because of how educated or rational you are right? You care because you have empathy. Some folks are naturally empathetic, some folks grow up in an empathetic environment and learn it that way, some folks grow up in an environment lacking empathy and and push against being that way. Some people learn empathy in their religious communities. Sticking your fingers in your ears to loudly declare that religion is the problem and that if we just ignore it or got rid of it things would be better is just ignoring reality.

The online skeptics community is a bunch of racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic assholes not because they're atheists, but because they're a group lead by a bunch of unempathetic assholes who set the tone for those who follow them. White evangelicals aren't a bunch of racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic assholes because they're religious, but because they're a group lead by a bunch of unempathetic assholes who set the tone for those who follow them
"Some people learn empathy in their religious communities" - sorry, no. I was raised catholic, I don't think I lacked empathy before going to church or doing my first communion or whatever. Are people in religious countries more empathic than people in more secular countries?

And online YouTube skeptics absolutely suck, but I don't know if I'd "both side" religion and a bunch of loser youtubers as causing the exact amount of harm, historically or currently.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I don't know if it needs to be a prominent part of the movement, but I wish some progressives would shut the fuck up with their "RELIGION BAD!!!" stance.
Religion itself isn't the problem, grifters/powerful assholes are.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
People are a powerful tool to change society. We need to be better but lately the people who want division and chaos for personal gains are winning.
People need to make a decision for themselves: Do i want to be involved and do i want to make society better (for all) or do i simply want things to be good for ME?

A few religions have acquired so much power over centuries of violent oppression and they don't want to give up that power.
I personally think all religion is nonsense. I can not think of it in any other way.
In the end, it's just people being people. We invented all the many different religions in the world. We're troubled and conflicted beings looking for answers.
But we certainly can inspire each other to be better. To help each other.

I think what we really need is:
- proper parenting.
- good education.
- good leadership.
- good science.

You do not need religion for basic human empathy.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you're clear on what the word "some" is. Moreover "I was raised in a particular religion and thus my experience is universal to everyone else's" is also silly.

Honestly, it's pretty unempathetic.
And online YouTube skeptics absolutely suck, but I don't know if I'd "both side" religion and a bunch of loser youtubers as causing the exact amount of harm, historically or currently.
I mean, firstly, you don't need to discuss "historical or current misdeeds" to compare the attitudes of the two communities. The Skeptics community doesn't have the power or reach of various faiths because it isn't nearly as old. That doesn't change the fact that despite purporting to be rational, skeptical, and eschewing faith, they come to the same destructive conclusions that the worst of religion indulges in. Because they're assholes that lack empathy and it doesn't matter what their purported belief system is, that's where they're going to wind up regardless.

Secondly: You're gonna have to stack a whole lot of good on that pile of harm too, much as you'd rather not acknowledge that.

"But that good could have been accomplished without religion too."

Probably, but so could the bad had another system been slotted into its place.

EDIT:

The lesson people need to be taking away is this: Stop letting the most rancid shit float to the top of any community.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
I don't know if it needs to be a prominent part of the movement, but I wish some progressives would shut the fuck up with their "RELIGION BAD!!!" stance.
Religion itself isn't the problem, grifters/powerful assholes are.
I agree with you there, but unless you believe in a specific religion, its founders are the powerful assholes and were emboldened by their perceived divinity. The religions are also unavoidably shaped by the times they were created, making many aspects regressive at best. Of course, many powerful assholes in charge of furthering the religion are perhaps more influential in how the religion is interpreted today, but it should still be acknowledged the power the founders had to tailor things to their -- sometimes destructive -- whims.
Still, it is very important to not alienate religious people, so I agree we should approach the debate with more tact.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I don't think you're clear on what the word "some" is. Moreover "I was raised in a particular religion and thus my experience is universal to everyone else's" is also silly.

Honestly, it's pretty unempathetic.
Look at what you did.

1) You told me "well, the religion you were born into is the WRONG one".
2) You left out the part when I ask if religious countries are more empathic than secular ones.

Number 2 should tell you that I believe we all have the potential for empathy regardless of what religion we're born into (or not). But I'm the unempathetic one, lol.

I mean, firstly, you don't need to discuss "historical or current misdeeds" to compare the attitudes of the two communities. The Skeptics community doesn't have the power or reach of various faiths because it isn't nearly as old. That doesn't change the fact that despite purporting to be rational, skeptical, and eschewing faith, they come to the same destructive conclusions that the worst of religion indulges in. Because they're assholes that lack empathy and it doesn't matter what their purported belief system is, that's where they're going to wind up regardless.

Secondly: You're gonna have to stack a whole lot of good on that pile of harm too, much as you'd rather not acknowledge that.

"But that good could have been accomplished without religion too."

Probably, but so could the bad had another system been slotted into its place.
I will never argue religion has a monopoly on bad people so please stop with that. But you've got the key word right there - power. I'll indeed be way more worried about the (exponentially larger) group that has actual power to ruin millions of lives, sanctioned by all kinds of governments and institutions. Guess what, those youtubers actually -can't- prevent anyone from getting married, or from getting blood transfusions.

You're copying and pasting your usual "checkmate atheist" arguments here, I never said religion has never brought anything positive to science, development, etc.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm broadly of the view that people who use religion as an excuse for their hatred would be able to find another excuse if region as an excuse was no longer an option.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Religion served its purpose. It taught people how to behave and used their own fear of reprisal after death to convince them those behaviours would reward them rather than simply because they were the right thing to do. Whether it was the Norse with Valhalla or Christianity with Heaven, there was always this push by religion to live your life well so you would be rewarded for it and such methods worked. It also allowed people to understand things, in their own way, by attributing wondrous things to the gods and making sense of the world was kind of important when none of it made sense.

I'm just not so sure we need religion any more. We don't need moral guidance these days because we actually know the difference between right and wrong, our definitions are a lot more modern and inclusive as well and religion actually now gets in the way of that by promoting outdated beliefs. Where it once gave humanity a way to explain the unexplainable, we now have science to actually explain those things and religion only obfuscates and interferes with that by, again, promoting outdated beliefs.

Religion is just... outdated. It's only still relevant because we allow it to be and given that it enables the worst of us, I'm not sure that's a good thing. I'm not saying that religious worship should become illegal or anything like that, but deemphasising religion and ridding it of its power in society can only be a good thing.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Religion and political power and policy-making should be completely separated and I'm honestly shocked it's still such a big deal in so many (Western) countries.

I do not think religion is bad, everybody should be able and allowed to believe whatever they want to, but that faith shouldn't be important when it comes to making policies and changing society.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not religious at all, don't believe it any of that stuff, but my mum about 9 years ago got back into her Christianity (UK for those wondering where) and her church is so far from what American mega churches are that I'm sure a lot of Americans who consider themselves Christians would be horrified or shocked at least.

When I talk to my wife about it, because her sister and mum are pretty religious in texas, she didn't believe me so I had to have my mum tell her too haha.

Anyway they don't hate anyone, they don't preach for people to be "saved" or any of that bullshit if anyone isn't what Christianity would say is OK. Their whole point of view is "it's ok to hate the sin but you love the person and respect them and their choices no matter what, and you do not tell them anything about how you feel because it's only God who is allowed to judge and not any person". To the point that if someone mentions wanting to talk to someone they know who is gay then the church leaders actually step in the tell them it isn't their job to judge or talk to others about it and to leave them to enjoy their life as they see fit and if they want to come to the church they are welcome to but shouldn't be pushed into it. They even have gay members of the church and they never even bring up a word from the Bible about same sex couples etc as a sin.

Oh and the biggest wtf for my wife's family is when I pointed out that unlike that lakewood church fuck who has millions in assets like a huge home etc, my mums church spends most of every donation it gets on helping the community and the family and friends of church members too. Whenever they get a donation they all gather in a group and dicuss what it's best to use it for. If someone knows someone who needs help they gather and discuss it and decide if they can use the money for it.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
Religion should disappear and be relegated into myth already. You can use your fairy tale magical entity to justify whatever you want and that's pretty bad.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I love the idea that we can just move on from religiosity. Come the fuck on.
I don't believe any of us will live to see it happen of course, but religion is absolutely declining globally and it's not like humans were always predominantly Christian/Muslim/Buddhist/etc.

I don't want to, and I don't think it's realistic to propose we erase religion now. I just don't think we can "repurpose" it to further progressive values, especially when we know religion as we know it very, very often opposes such values.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Religion must be separated from the state as if it was cancer and suddenly it became contagious.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if we are focusing on america, maybe "progressives" should be more concerned with the fact that you are pretty much doomed in national politics if you don't pretend to be religious.