• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
So Nerd dating advice columnist who's been featured on kotaku has been accused of sexual assault.

The person in question has told people to share her story.

A brave friend of mine shared the name of her harasser, so others won't be scared to speak up, and more women don't experience this trauma.
Time for me to do the same.
Dr. Nerdlove (Harris O'Malley) assaulted me in the Sheraton bar in 2017. Thankfully, and horrifyingly, it happened surrounded by my friends and literary giants, so I could get away after he put me into a full PTSD shutdown.
It's a punch in the stomach every time I see him quoted in The Mary Sue as an ally. When I confronted him in 2018 to not come near me or my booth, his reply was that he hadn't even thought about it since that night. It haunted me every day from when it happened to when I returned to ECCC. And it still does. He made me feel small, scared, and like my body was there for the taking. Please don't let him do this to any other women.

::Edit:: Thanks everyone. After crying on my fiances should for awhile I'm no longer shaking and sobbing. The fracture he gave me, while mostly healed, still hurts like a mother when poked.

:Second Edit: I can't sleep. I'm shaking inside and out. I feel like vomiting. Just re-read his email. Still hurts. He apologizes profusely, but, the fact that he didn't even think about it again is the sucker punch. I don't want to ruin him, I just don't what him to hurt anyone else. Or if he has, let them know they're not alone.

Dr Nerdlove response
www.doctornerdlove.com

On Examining One's Behavior and Making Amends

I fucked up while flirting with a woman at a convention in 2017, but I didn't realize it at the time. A year later, I was made aware, apologized, and have worked on changing my ways. This week, I found out that the woman was is still very hurt over what happened; I can only apologize again for...

I fucked up while flirting with a woman at a convention in 2017, but I didn't realize it at the time. A year later, I was made aware, apologized, and have worked on changing my ways. This week, I found out that the woman was is still very hurt over what happened; I can only apologize again for my behavior. If it can help others to learn from it and do better, here's what happened.

At Emerald City Comic Con in 2017, I was talking with a woman I met at a crowded hotel bar. Over the course of the conversation, I was flirting (my wife and I have an open relationship) and at the time, I believed we had a vibe going. At one point, I reached out and weaved my fingers through her hair and gave, what to me was a playful tug. She didn't respond, so I took my hand back. She mentioned that she simply wasn't up for or able to do anything. I said "ok, if you change your mind, let me know," hung out a little while longer and then eventually left to go to bed.

The next day as I was browsing through the dealer's room, I passed by her booth, said a brief hello and "it was nice talking to you last night", before heading about my day. The last time I have ever talked to her in person was a brief group conversation in the bar later that night.

Early in 2018, a friend of mine told me that this woman had felt violated by the entire encounter. I was surprised by this, but if I had done something wrong, then I was going to own that. I reached out, both via email and a mutual friend, to apologize (I've blacked out names and email addresses to protect people's privacy):
(image of email is on his site)))

When I sent my apology through a mutual friend, I made it clear that I was willing to apologize in person if the woman preferred, that I would be willing to stay away from her if we were ever at the same shows again, but, most importantly, that I wanted to make amends.

On February 10th, our mutual friend, in a Facebook Messenger chat, relayed the woman's response; she asked me to stay away and not speak to her.

I agreed; I have kept my distance and haven't spoken with her since. Hearing how this woman felt, I began to examine my behavior, including, among other things, the way I acted and flirted with others. I made a point of getting consent before making physical contact and checking in to ensure that everyone was still comfortable and interested. I spent time examining the ways that I remained inexcusably blind to other women's perspectives or experiences. I talked with various people about accountability, about doing better, about being more aware and more present and the ways that I had to improve. and My friends were honest with me about where I needed to change, which I appreciated and still appreciate. Being held accountable is important.

I also changed the way that I attended conventions. The same mutual friend agreed to come with me to the 2018 Emerald City Comic Con in mid-March, to be able to call me on my behavior if need be. I've caused harm with my mistakes; hopefully by talking about it openly, other people can do better and be better.

I understand that the person in question is still hurt by all of this. I behaved abominably, caused her pain and I am truly profoundly sorry.

This is very disappointing to see as I thought his advice was good turns out his trash

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
who flirts by tugging on someones hair. Honestly, people should just keep their hands to them selfs.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I don't know what you guys learned in kindergarten but I don't think pulling a girls hair is a good way to get her to like you

OP
OP
Sheentak

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
His advice now has has gained a following in nerd communities I've followed his advice before and while I've never pulled on a girls hair I'm now 2nd guessing my actions

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I'm not taking relationship advice from a guy whose opening move is "reach out, grab a handful of hair, and give it a yank."

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's weird. His side of the story almost sounds normal. Like 'I shot my shot, failed, and just said wassup in passing the next day'. Almost normal...

....except wtf is this?

"reached out and weaved my fingers through her hair and gave, what to me was a playful tug."

It even reads awkward, lol. That part makes no sense unless like, they were discussing how strong a hypothetical weave was.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I think her second edit is really telling "I don't want to ruin him, I just don't what him to hurt anyone else. Or if he has, let them know they're not alone."

And I guess it's worth examining what "callout culture" is for. This person felt deeply, deeply, deeply effected by unwanted and invasive advances. So her coming forward is a good character test. As in "has this happened to anyone else? Can we please look at his behavior?" It's a very mature, very level headed, very emphatic way she's handling this.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, I got a couple of his books and really enjoyed them. They had great advice that helped me with my profile and messaging, eventually helping me meet my fianceé. Unfortunately I bought those books in October 2017. So, that's cool.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I think there's a limit to what physical contact is appropriate with someone you've just met

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
The fracture he gave me, while mostly healed, still hurts like a mother when poked.

He... punched her in the ribs or something enough to break bone or... there's a huge fucking void between these stories. What the hell happened?

Tug on a stranger's hair = that's a bad move.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I really don't understand this one.

Is his accounting of events accurate? If it is, then I totally get why she'd discontinue the flirting (hair pulling is for intimate time with someone you trust, not in public with someone you just met), but her account sounds like there has to be more. Not to downplay his actions in any way, but there just seems to he a huge gap between the two accounts.

It does maybe sound like she had a prior assault, and that his inappropriately-aggressive flirting hit her especially hard.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
Is no one going to commend him for admitting he was wrong, owning up to it and trying to do better? He made a mistake people. We all do that. It's what we do after the fact that's important. Let's not forget that.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Is his accounting of events accurate? If it is, then I totally get why she'd discontinue the flirting (hair pulling is for intimate time with someone you trust, not in public with someone you just met), but her account sounds like there has to be more. Not to downplay his actions in any way, but there just seems to he a huge gap between the two accounts.

It does maybe sound like she had a prior assault, and that his inappropriately-aggressive flirting hit her especially hard.
Definitely seems like it. I've had my hair tugged fairly often and am not a fan of it but this recount from an event 3 years ago sounds like it must be much more. It also seems he is more of a social butterfly so she felt trapped when in any other situation she would have peaced out.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Failure to flirt by tugging on somebody's hair. Like obviously there were one-sided sexual implications in their conversation, or else why would somebody think its okay to put your fingers through somebody's hair and tug? Like, before she said she's down to hook up, you decide to test the waters by tugging the back of her hair? WTF? This guy probably thought he was hot shit enough to put his hands on whoever he wants. Asshole.

For somebody who gives dating advice, how the fuck would you think that was cool? Unless of course, you do it all the time and nobody says anything because you're well known.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Is no one going to commend him for admitting he was wrong, owning up to it and trying to do better? He made a mistake people. We all do that. It's what we do after the fact that's important. Let's not forget that.

Honestly, it's just too early to tell. If it all ends today, sure. Good on him, don't let it happen again.

But if this is just the first story, it will take some weeks/months to know for sure.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Remind me not to take their advice.

In all seriousness, this is just bizarre and I can see why it had such a strong impact on the poor woman. Hopefully this is the only case of this happening. I can't see how this could ever be seen as acceptable behaviour.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

IF his version of the story is accurate, then this is how it reads to me as well.

Again, IF his version of the story is accurate, and he really does have a circle of people checking in on him, then, yes, this is handled reasonably well given the circumstances. If there's more to it, then my assessment will change.

so, like, it all hinges on where this goes from here; I know better than to just take the public apology at face value, but if he's telling the truth, it's a good apology.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
What a way to tank your entire brand there Dr. While I'm glad he has put in measures in place to prevent incidents like this from happening in the future, I'm a little alarmed that he thought this was a good idea to begin with.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Reports of Sexual Harassment
I feel like he must have done something more than pull on her hair, otherwise it doesn't quite add up.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Honestly the fact he's going around to conventions trying to sleep with women, while in a weird open marriage, says more than I need to know about him.

It's probably not good that men are taking advice from this man.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Definitely seems like it. I've had my hair tugged fairly often and am not a fan of it but this recount from an event 3 years ago sounds like it must be much more. It also seems he is more of a social butterfly so she felt trapped when in any other situation she would have peaced out.
It may have come out of nowhere from her point of view, too. Friendly conversation, she's not flirting, all of a sudden he pulls this extremely sexual move on her. If she had abuse in her past, I imagine it would be horrifically triggering. And even if she doesn't, it's still a "Fuck off, creep" kinda situation.

Which is why you don't do weird sex stuff to a person you just met in the middle of a crowded bar.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I feel like he must have done something more than pull on her hair, otherwise it doesn't quite add up.
That is a pretty fuck up thing to do to a woman you JUST MET at the bar. It's an extremely aggressive act that shows you view the person as an object. No, it doesn't need to be more and it does add up.

Please kindly get the fuck out of here with the "it doesn't add up" nonsense.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly the fact he's going around to conventions trying to sleep with women, while in a weird open marriage, says more than I need to know about him.

Open marriage is his business and should not be a justification for harassment. I guess he included that so folks don't assume that he's being unfaithful to his wife.

His big red flag here is that like many, he lacks professionalism trying to hook up at conventions. Content creators need to have higher standards here.

Many fans are not groupies lol. But it seems these guys are assuming all fans they are attracted are open to getting down.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Open marriage is his business and should not be a justification for harassment. I guess he included that so folks don't assume that he's being unfaithful to his wife.

His big red flag here is that like many, he lacks professionalism trying to hook at conventions. Content creators need to have higher standards here.
I've met people like him in real life, there is definitely a type.

And I agree on the second part

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Open marriages are fine.

The hair pull was a bad move. The apology seems sincere. But I can understand her not wanting anything to do with him

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's inappropriate, weird, and too aggressive, but it does kinda read like there's must be more to the story. I'll completely admit I say this as a very open person who personally puts little value in my own personal boundaries most of the time, so maybe I'm being insensitive.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Tugging hair when flirting is a common thing? I've never done the bar hiting on someone thing, so I don't know. Just sounds like a really bizzare move to me.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
It's sad that she's so traumatized by this encounter, and he seems to care about his mistake. This seems like a semi-amicable call-out, and I'll leave it at that in my mind.

If more accusers tell their story, I'll become angrier at him

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Conventions also are a major time for hookups. I would not be surprised if the most infidelity at one time is during a convention for medical supplies. whenever I head to the bar where my friend works there is always lots of game being thrown around. Women/men/everyone is constantly trapezing being extremely flirty are looking for a "tour"

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't with the literal reading and confusion of the use of "fracture" and the "theres gotta be more".

The ONLY thing that matters is how the victim feels when their boundaries are broken. You don't second guess it to minimize their pain and question the validity of those feelings and subsequent reactions. There is no context that alleviates it and searching for one is suspect as all hell.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
People are getting hung on what he did and whether that's an expectably bad behavior or if it it's not and something else might be going unsaid, but that's not a good thing to do.

In general that kind of discourse does not take into account that there really isn't any generalized ruling that can be said to be too much or not enough, different people react differently to different inputs and can feel abused or assaulted by behaviors that would not do the same to other people. And those particularities are legitimate, and each person should not have to be open about them, and outsiders (or would be abusers) aren't entitled to knowing beforehand what a stranger considers too much. Trying to socially determine what is bad behavior or not illegitimizes the reality that there is very very little of collectively experienced levels of acceptable behaviors, and that every individual is different on this.

By and large i don't think those conversations do any good, and put forward this idea that any one person can know what is not acceptable in any situation and, most importantly, what can be considered acceptable, when the idea is that when you meet a stranger you should be expected to adapt to their speed, not come into the situation with preconceived ideas of what is good behavior, and maybe even ultimately try to argue with the victim that your behavior was "good" because it's part of some socially defined "good behavior".