• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Long story short, my wife loves Professor Layton and I'm wondering whether or not to get her this on the Switch. I'm seeing mixed reviews.

If she enjoyed past entries, will she like this one?

Thank you.

AmusedUnhealthyIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
James Jones on Radio Free Nintendo is a big series fan and said it's dreadful. All puzzles are either sliding block puzzles or trick questions.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's the weakest out of all the Layton games. They might still get some enjoyment out of it but pretty much everything has been better in the previous games. The story isn't particularly interesting, the puzzles range from mediocre to fine and the music doesn't stand out compared to the highs in other games. I ended up being pretty disappointed as a massive series fan.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
James Jones on Radio Free Nintendo is a big series fan and said it's dreadful. All puzzles are either sliding block puzzles or trick questions.
It's the weakest out of all the Layton games. They might still get some enjoyment out of it but pretty much everything has been better in the previous games. The story isn't particularly interesting, the puzzles range from mediocre to fine and the music doesn't stand out compared to the highs in other games. I ended up being pretty disappointed as a massive series fan.

Good to know. Thank you!

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
I'd call it painfully average. There's nothing particularly awful about it but it's not even close to being as good as even the worst of the previous games. I can't say I hated my time with it but I wouldn't recommend it to fan of the series.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
I love the Layton games but I was disappointed by this game. Sold it immediately after finishing the story.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The Layton series quality trajectory pretty much mirrors what happened with Level 5.

To be fair I haven't played but the reviews painted and unfulfilling picture compared to previous games.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big Layton fan and I really hated it sadly, the atmosphere, the music, even the puzzles, it's nothing like the Layton we know and love.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
No. The puzzle designer from the two trilogies died and you can tell the new designer(s) they got just had no real clue how to make good puzzles. And the rest of the game from the plot to the characters managed to suck as well.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Had not the incentive to play it to tge end, while I loved Layton games. At least dub is good. Better watch the animated series

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have to echo what everyone else is saying - it's just a real weak entry in the series, and that's a shame. I personally also couldn't stand how they moved from the "single overarching plot" model of the past games to a purely episodic approach; I felt a lot of the fun in any given Layton story was seeing this one weird situation get more and more complex before hitting the absurd conclusion.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I see a lot of people disliking it in this thread, I really enjoyed it though!

Me and the wife thought it was a pleasant playthrough.
Loved the music characters and the art style.

Puzzles were a mixed bag but still enjoyable.

This is our only Layton game though so I guess if they ever release the older games for a big screen I will be there to enjoy those to.

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
I took over 3 years to finish and I'm a huge Layton fan.

There's some comfiness to Layton's London, and the music is superb as always, but the game's structure, overall story and puzzle design is awful. Most of them are trick questions, and really easy ones at that.

Also, regarding its ending, and keeping it as spoiler free as possible:

It ends on a cliffhanger and apparently it continues in a 50 episode anime. Couldn't bring myself to watch it yet.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I considered it for some time but never picked up the game myself, so I'm grateful for this thread.

I blame the talking dog. I saw it in the trailer and knew this wouldn't be what I wanted.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
You know how most Layton games have some really dumb twist in them, one you try to overlook because the characters/development outside of the twist is enjoyable? Well this game has twelve dumb twists and no good characters or development.

The conclusion to the final case of the game is the stupidest thing in the series. I don't mean that in a 'wow, that was crazy,' way, but in a completely and utterly bafflingly stupid way. In the sense that the entire case would have never happened if a certain character had divulged a secret they had no reason to keep.

Oh, and they introduce a mystery in the very beginning of the game involving one of the main cast and then never solve it. They don't even not solve it, they actually never make any progress towards solving it at all. Then there's a 50 episode anime sequel where the 'what happened to Professor Layton?' question is given something like three whole episodes and is also stupid, but the weird kind of stupid the series is known for.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Long story short, my wife loves Professor Layton and I'm wondering whether or not to get her this on the Switch. I'm seeing mixed reviews.

If she enjoyed past entries, will she like this one?

Thank you.

AmusedUnhealthyIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

it's a little different but not terrible if you enjoy the typical mini-mysteries. I would say the puzzles are pretty consistent with the rest of the series. It isn't the best Layton, but if you want *more* then I'd say go for it. It's also been on iOS for awhile, so if you have a compatible device you might be able to get it cheaper that way.

Dec 30, 2020
You know how most Layton games have some really dumb twist in them, one you try to overlook because the characters/development outside of the twist is enjoyable? Well this game has twelve dumb twists and no good characters or development.

The conclusion to the final case of the game is the stupidest thing in the series. I don't mean that in a 'wow, that was crazy,' way, but in a completely and utterly bafflingly stupid way. In the sense that the entire case would have never happened if a certain character had divulged a secret they had no reason to keep.

Oh, and they introduce a mystery in the very beginning of the game involving one of the main cast and then never solve it. They don't even not solve it, they actually never make any progress towards solving it at all. Then there's a 50 episode anime sequel where the 'what happened to Professor Layton?' question is given something like three whole episodes and is also stupid, but the weird kind of stupid the series is known for.
One of the things I enjoyed about Curious Village is I worked out the twist at the same time Layton did.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It was a failed attempt to continue the series after Akira Tago died and failed miserably at it. That's why the puzzles are so bad & why Level 5 has abandoned the series.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
I never played the other games but played this one when it went on discount on google play.

It was ok -- maybe. I felt very underwhelmed by the story and I felt it didnt end in a way that felt satisfying.

FWIW, the visuals are pretty nice.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Also, regarding its ending, and keeping it as spoiler free as possible:

It ends on a cliffhanger and apparently it continues in a 50 episode anime. Couldn't bring myself to watch it yet.
That sounds like Level 5 lol

Does anyone know what actually happened to Layton? Googling doesn't turn up much because I guess not many people bothered to watch...

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Dogpile at this point, but even my mother who I don't think is particularly discerning with games was pretty offput by this one, she didn't even finish it.