• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
A lawsuit that made a big bang in Silicon Valley two years ago with allegations of mistreatment of politically conservative tech workers came to a quiet end this week.

Former Google engineer James Damore and three other men who worked for or applied for jobs at the Alphabet Inc. unit asked a court to dismiss their lawsuit. Their written request was joined by Google.

A lawyer for the men, Harmeet Dhillon, said they're prohibited as part of their agreement with Google from saying anything beyond what's in Thursday's court filing. Google declined to comment.

Damore was fired from Google in 2017 after he wrote a memo arguing that innate differences between the sexes might explain why women are underrepresented at the internet giant and other tech companies. He sued the company the following year, alleging that it allows discrimination against conservative white men.

The lawsuit made him the darling of the alt-right movement and conservative media and was joined by other men with similar grievances, even as legal experts said Damore would have a hard time winning redemption in court.

In 2018, Damore suffered a setback when a National Labor Relations Board attorney concluded the engineer's use of biological stereotypes in his widely circulated memo was offensive enough to cause disruption in the workplace, making his firing lawful.

www.bloomberg.com

Ex-Google Engineer Who Became Right-Wing Hero Ends Suit Quietly

A lawsuit that made a big bang in Silicon Valley two years ago with allegations of mistreatment of politically conservative tech workers came to a quiet end this week.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
When your suit shrivels and willows, and you end up crying in your anime body pillows, that's Damore

Oct 28, 2017
The funniest thing is that when IBM actually existed in the workplace, the majority of people interacting with computers were women.

Even if Google's policies did feel like they silenced and discriminated conservative voices, his obsession with women being worse than men because of BIOTRUTHS sort of blew the majority of sympathy that he might have got out of the water. Just a huge general lack of self awareness and more specifically comprehension of the contributions women made to early computing.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Sounds like he should have James DaLess, etc etc

Yeah not surprised he didn't really have a strong case. I wonder if Google even bothered to give him anything to settle although it doesn't sound like it.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
To be honest I'm surprised he completely lost. California is one of the only states where political actions and opinions are protected from being terminated, and this is a good example of why that's a bad idea.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I remember this clown. Glad he lost too. The fool can go retire on his nonexistent gofundme money from the alt right...

Shame that the 15m never lasts eh. GL with future employment

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest I'm surprised he completely lost. California is one of the only states where political actions and opinions are protected from being terminated, and this is a good example of why that's a bad idea.

I'm not a legal expert obviously but what the guy did was basically tell half the office through a memo that they're inferior to men and will always be inferior to men because of BIOTRUTHS.

It's no different to writing a memo saying that Google should hire less black people because they're inherently less intelligent to whites people and linking a whole lot of Stormfront articles as "scientific proof". There's really no difference.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not a legal expert obviously but what the guy did was basically tell half the office through a memo that they're inferior to men and will always be inferior to men because of BIOTRUTHS.

It's no different to writing a memo saying that Google should hire less black people because they're inherently less intelligent to whites people and linking a whole lot of Stormfront articles as "scientific proof". There's really no difference.
Right, which is why opinions or political beliefs shouldn't be some protected class.

I'm happy with the outcome regardless.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder how many more times this has to happen before right-wing dipshits learn that their 15 minutes of infamy usually only equal 5, unless you have rich friends. Then, when that's over, they're left holding the bag that only got heavier with the signal boosting.

Not that they deserve sympathy, I'd just like them to stop giving the right any more maypoles to dance around.

Last edited:

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd actually forgotten this asshole existed. Looks like his alt-right grifter 'friends' did too!

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Beyond his ridiculously incorrect 'scientific' assertions, on a level of social principle, I just find it poor form and excessively narcissistic that he mass emailed the company some rambling manifesto.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if this dude is working? Hoping he blackballed himself in the tech industry

The tech industry is more than welcoming to sexist "conservatives". His linkedin says he's working at a "Startup". He's definitely employed and considering the state of that industry, working with similarly minded people.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna suggest he'd jump from that to the usual whiny right wing little shit talking tour, but he can't even comment on the suit LOL
You're gonna need more pillows James