• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's the best naming convention for a professional e-mail address?

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer firstinitialLastname@domain but Depends how big it is. When I worked in a huge school district and there were a few dozen "Smith"s who worked there it go crazy with

davSmith
dSmith
deSmith
kSmith
KeSmith
KeeSmith

caused a lot of confusion where firstnamelastname wouldnt as much.

Nov 9, 2017
That just means some dood from the UK signed up using your GMail and the site didn't verify their address. I have my firstname.lastname@gmail cos I got in on GMail early, and I get all sorts of stuff from people around the world with my name. I even had someone try to recover my Google acct earlier in the year.

That's what i thought too until I started seeing his bills and Facebook and PoF account updates and the like. The moment that happened I switched. I'd been using Gmail for.....god - I got the beta invite for in 2003 so....12 years? I switched in 2015 to Outlook and Office (now Microsoft) 365.

Wouldn't the bigger security risk be allowing First.Last and FirstLast to exist independently on the same domain?

Indeed.

Zoe is correct. The period on other domains is used for phishing.

Indeed. I still find it a security risk with Google however as I should have never seen the other guys bills and personal info, much like he probably got some of my personal stuff. Gmail needs a better way to delineate between the 2 - or not even give the option to use a period in the address.

Nov 14, 2017
That's what i thought too until I started seeing his bills and Facebook and PoF account updates and the like. The moment that happened I switched. I'd been using Gmail for.....god - I got the beta invite for in 2003 so....12 years? I switched in 2015 to Outlook and Office (now Microsoft) 365.
I used to get someone's tax returns. I had someone's eBay account for a while. You'd be amazed how many services will let you change your email address without verification.

Just so we're clear: there is no other account with or without a period in the address. Nobody else was seeing your emails. Someone just managed to convince FB and PoF to accept your email with a period as a valid email for their account. PoF doesn't do email validation at all even today I don't think,

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I like First.Last personally. For my work though it's firstinitiallast (no space, lowercase).

Sidebar: The worst part about gmail's decision to not really account for the . is how many people sign up for shit with my name without adding in the period and it works. It's so frustrating. Quit using my gd email you bastards! Some sites don't make it easy to cancel someone else's account or force them to change the email listed either since they require some verification you're the account owner.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Some websites have wonky or only partial support for the "+" sign though. So for example it can happen that the sign-up form accepts the "+" but the sign-in form doesn't accept it, meaning you're screwed after signing up.

Fair enough. I usually use it for mailing list type stuff, I guess, so it doesn't matter as much there.

May 15, 2018
I guess this is a good thread to ask, I need a semi professional email address. What domain should I use? I can't use most of the popular ones like Gmail without adding on bunch of extra characters to my name(s) for them to be unique.

I could get one with [email protected], would that be somewhat respectable?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Correct. I get mail from some dood in the U.K. all the time because of this. I actually switched to Outlook cause I see this as a massive security issue.

its funny because its the same address, unless Google screwed something up.

GMail also ignores a + and everything after it. So, your.email+some.tag, for example. It's a nice way to know how your email ends up on spam lists.

Solid advice here! I use the + for pretty much everything where I register with that address.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
last.first is more professional IMO, lots of people share the same bits of first names, less so with lasts.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer [email protected].

My company does first name initial, last name, then the domain. That gets messy because for the more generic last names there are some duplicates that I know of like.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
One drawback of just an initial is then people get confused when the initial is the same as the next letter (when given verbally).

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I do first initial middle initial last name @ domaindotcom. I do it partly because, in my case, it works out as a pun and I don't take it that seriously. I think that's perfectly fine as a general go-to though. edit: the poster above me was on my wavelength, I see.

I hate the dot. Anyone who does the dot is a monster.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Literally every professional email I've had is firstintialLastname(till it cuts off because my name is just too long I guess)@domain.com. Much better than anything else

I guess at my current job I have both the [email protected] and [email protected] but no one uses the second one.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
first name, initials of your second name (if you have), initials of your both last names @ domain.com

That is what I went for.

Oct 27, 2017
FYI if you use gmail (or your work uses gmail apps i believe) the periods are stripped out so

[email protected] == [email protected]
Yep. I occasionally get emails that are clearly not intended for me from time to time (and wonder how many of mine are going to that other person...) the most annoying bit is that I try to forward them so the person gets them but they still just keep coming back to me.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
My works email is firstdotlast for everyone there and I hate saying it out loud on the phone to people.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
At work we are [email protected]

For my personal email, I set up Google Apps on my own domain years ago when it was free to do. I have my last name as a domain. My actual email address is [first initial]@[last name]. So imagine if my name is John Smith, it's "[email protected]"

I thought it was a neat idea at the time but I wouldn't recommend doing this because it confuses some people and occasionally I run into web forms that are coded poorly and don't recognize a single-letter first part as valid. For that reason I had to set up a forwarding address so that "[email protected]" also goes to my inbox.

But ultimately as long as your email address isn't something weird like [email protected], no one is going to care about the particulars.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I occasionally get emails that are clearly not intended for me from time to time (and wonder how many of mine are going to that other person...) the most annoying bit is that I try to forward them so the person gets them but they still just keep coming back to me.
I don't know about corporate Gmail, but if it's personal then only the one address exists. The other person is entering the wrong email somewhere.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know what to tell you. I get emails for [email protected] for a guy who has my name when I have the one with a period. I actually got one about a job interview he set up but forwarding kept sending it back to me.
If you send an email to that address it will go to you. Because that is your email address.

Some other mistake is happening for you to get his emails. It happens to me too because my email is first initial second initial common last name.

Dots don't matter in Gmail addresses - Gmail Help

If someone accidentally adds dots to your address when emailing you, you'll still get that email. For example, if your email is [email protected], you own all dotted versions of your address: jo

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Don't know what to tell you. I get emails for [email protected] for a guy who has my name when I have the one with a period. I actually got one about a job interview he set up but forwarding kept sending it back to me.
I'm pretty sure people are just sending it to the wrong email address. I've gotten mail meant for [email protected] and [email protected] because I have [email protected], for example. Human error is faaaar more likely than mail servers screwing up.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i have the first option but because it was set up by the company. don't know what i'd use otherwise tbh