• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's the best naming convention for a professional e-mail address?

• Total voters

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I work in tech and a couple people have first @ last.com, and I think it's just the tackiest fucking thing lol. I don't know why, it just rubs me the wrong way for some reason

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
First.last is my preferred method.

you get exactly what is the first name and last name. You also can update it with middle initials if multiple people with the same name are hired

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Honestly? Unless your email is like [email protected] or something stupid like that you're probably fine to use whatever your normal one would probably be. Personalized domain emails are... not tacky but close to it. FirstLast@whatever woks well enough mot times if you don't want them to have your real email.

If we're talking about, say, work emails firstinitial.lastname@whatever is probably least worrisome, because you can always add more initials if you have more than one person matching that combination.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First.Last is the way my company does it. they only go weird when they have multiple people with the same first and last name

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
depends imo

my friends last letter of their first name and first letter of their last name is the same so they have a period.

in my case since its different i dont have a period

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
There's not much to choose between the poll options; they're all fine. All that matters is not having anything goofy in either the alias or domain. I have a slight preference for avoiding periods or other delimiters in the alias, but with full names I guess it can help readability. I do not like uppercase characters in email addresses—they're not case sensitive anyway, so should be written all lowercase.

Also I don't get the hate for using a personal domain. Seems smarter to me to own your email address rather than have it tied to some specific service.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
[email protected]. Then the first part can also be used for account usernames.

My last company had a crazy domain name. One of our users had an email like [email protected]
We changed to [email protected] and it changed to [email protected]

I work in tech and a couple people have first @ last.com, and I think it's just the tackiest fucking thing lol. I don't know why, it just rubs me the wrong way for some reason

I bought my surname.me 10 years ago. So my email is [email protected] - [email protected]

opus

Oct 25, 2017
I have a personal domain, for my professional career, and occasional freelancing. So my main is [email protected], then I have a couple of assorted ones, based on the needs and how people can reach me (work@, hello@, talk@, etc.)

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every company I've worked for has used firstinitiallastname@.

Depends on the size of the company though, if you're running a company that's like 5 people and don't plan on going bigger then I think firstname@ is fine.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
I made the mistake on my very first gmail account (this back in 2004, and I had to pay $5 for it since people were selling invites) of using [email protected]. This was going to be my resume email. It didn't take long for me to wish I would have done either [email protected] or [email protected]. By the time I realized that they were gone. That said I did correct that with Apple email, which is [email protected] (thankfully @me.com still works, no @icloud.com here).

Fun fact about using a period in your email address, a lot of providers don't care about it. I get email for both [email protected] and [email protected].

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People don't even know what gender I am because I have a foreign name or which parts to use (first name.middle name.family name).

Having no delimiter would be quite annoying for everyone involved so clearly first.last@domain.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
My work does first.last@domain.

Personally I have a first.last@domain that I used in high school, but the personal one I use now is first[middle-initial]last@domain. Meanwhile my college e-mail (which we were able to keep) is [first-initial][middle-initial]last@domain.

You can add multiple periods. I've scored soo much free shit on slickdeals doing that.

I believe you can also add a "+" and then whatever text you want to at the end. Good for that kind of thing and when you have to sign up for something you think is likely to cause you to get spam, since you'll know for sure where they got your e-mail from.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe you can also add a "+" and then whatever text you want to at the end. Good for that kind of thing and when you have to sign up for something you think is likely to cause you to get spam, since you'll know for sure where they got your e-mail from.
Some websites have wonky or only partial support for the "+" sign though. So for example it can happen that the sign-up form accepts the "+" but the sign-in form doesn't accept it, meaning you're screwed after signing up.

Nov 14, 2017
Correct. I get mail from some dood in the U.K. all the time because of this. I actually switched to Outlook cause I see this as a massive security issue.
That just means some dood from the UK signed up using your GMail and the site didn't verify their address. I have my firstname.lastname@gmail cos I got in on GMail early, and I get all sorts of stuff from people around the world with my name. I even had someone try to recover my Google acct earlier in the year.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Correct. I get mail from some dood in the U.K. all the time because of this. I actually switched to Outlook cause I see this as a massive security issue.
Wouldn't the bigger security risk be allowing First.Last and FirstLast to exist independently on the same domain?