• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Nintendo added a nice charming touch to the Downloading screen, by animating the packages you download and then making it drop into the actual progress box. As you watch it slowly fill up from bottom to top, sometimes, the 3DS avatar character appears, and drops to the floor, before leaving the scene with a bow.

No other consoles and PC launchers do this stuff on the Downloading screen.

Wished they have it in Switch eShop, but alas, sleek is nice.

Hoping to see a return in Switch 2 or whatever console/handheld they come up with.

Or give me a sequel to the Nintendo 3DS's stereoscopic 3D view.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I loved it. Reminded me of the good old days watching my hd defrag

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
The number of boxes sliding in is also an indicator of your download speed. I love it!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I 1000% would have preferred just seeing how many mb were left. Same on Switch.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Going to get a thread whining warning but, my guy, did you really make a thread about a downloading screen?
Considering it's a very cool download screen, yes. It's a pretty cool find for those that might not be fortunate enough to own a 3DS.

You can always ignore the thread too.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Neat, but you all didn't immediately set to download later/in background? I did. That crap can download when I'm not sitting there with the device open.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah it was cute at first but it made downloading a hassle. I much rather have a simple progress bar and automatic background downloading. I wish the Switch had more options regarding downloading since I go digital whenever I can.

About the 3D... please no. It was a cool gimmick but I don't want Nintendo to ever sacrifice screen quality for 3D ever again.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
The Switch is awesome and all, but it lacks the charm of being a Nintendo console. The Wii and 3DS were full of it, my favorite aspect of the Wii U beyond its library was Wara Wara Plaza. It just oozes "this is a Nintendo console" and it makes me long for a Switch update giving it some personality beyond sleekness

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Also neat is the system transfer screen for 3DS (and Wii to Wii U, i think?) where a group of Pikmin are animated bringing your game icons and data from one system to the next.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The Switch is awesome and all, but it lacks the charm of being a Nintendo console. The Wii and 3DS were full of it, my favorite aspect of the Wii U beyond its library was Wara Wara Plaza. It just oozes "this is a Nintendo console" and it makes me long for a Switch update giving it some personality beyond sleekness
And still no goddamn themes. Homebrew has had them for like a year, what are they waiting for?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen that one a few times. The one I've seen a ton is the 3DS to 3DS one. I've quantum leaped quite a few times.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I always thought it was weird that the Switch was missing stuff like that. There isn't even any music for the eShop. Yesterday I logged into the the 3DS eShop and was reminded how much personality it had.

I get clean design but I think there is a middle ground that Nintendo didn't explore on the switch.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
The only download screen I ever watched willingly :)

Man, it's sad they did not add any of the whimsy from the DS/3DS/Wii like shop music and cute dl screen to the Switch. Heck, can we get themes and folders soon, pls? :(

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I quite liked the 3DS to 3DS transfer. It's so cute.

It obviously lasts a while if you have a lot of data.

Nintendo put a lot of effort into these transfer sections lol.

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
Nintendo added a nice charming touch to the Downloading screen, by animating the packages you download and then making it drop into the actual progress box. As you watch it slowly fill up from bottom to top, sometimes, the 3DS avatar character appears, and drops to the floor, before leaving the scene with a bow.

No other consoles and PC launchers do this stuff on the Downloading screen.

Wished they have it in Switch eShop, but alas, sleek is nice.

Hoping to see a return in Switch 2 or whatever console/handheld they come up with.

Or give me a sequel to the Nintendo 3DS's stereoscopic 3D view.

It was great this and on the Wii. Of course it was required back then because there was no background download you had to stare the screen for a while. Also the pikmins while transfering data was a nice touch

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It was cute, and thankfully most stuff on the store is small enough that it doesn't take too long to download. But for the few times where it was a bigger download, it would have been nice to have a time frame I suppose.

DRPSquirtle64

May 30, 2019
It looked cool but wasn't useful. Every time I saw that screen I just set my download to background because it blocked any other activities on 3DS. Switch does eshop stuff way better as it is.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always found this super charming. I do wish the Switch eShop at least had music. I remember when Twilight Princess HD released on the Wii U, they changed the eShop music to this:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The DSi followed in the footsteps of the Wii by having Super Mario Bros. 2 sprites deliver the data

In a more just world, the 3DS would have had Mario Bros. 3 sprites, the Wii U = Mario World, and the Switch would be rockin' some Mario 64 polygons

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
The DSi followed in the footsteps of the Wii by having Super Mario Bros. 2 sprites deliver the data

In a more just world, the 3DS would have had Mario Bros. 3 sprites, the Wii U = Mario World, and the Switch would be rockin' some Mario 64 polygons

We would have missed on the Pikmin transfers then... unless you simply mean for eshop downloads.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
It was a cute animation, but the fact the 3DS didn't support background downloading for years was awful. You shouldn't actively have to look at a download screen, ever. It was also bad in the sense that it didn't give you actual information about download speed and file size.