• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Greedfall is my game of last year, but do I realize that not everyone is going to like it. However when it comes to QoL spiders really did set a new high bar for me.

Some stand outs where that fast travel within an area was instant and entering buildings never required a loading screen. Now I accept that these are easier things to achieve with simpler environments and levels of interactivity - but when I am 20 or 30 hours into a game minimizing the number loading screens becomes something that I try do as much as possible.

The biggest thing though - is that any fast travel between that did require a loading screen put you in an area with your party, crafting stations and a vendor. Almost all that stuff you do in the down time in RPG's could be done in this area while the next are was loading. As much as I liked the outerworlds - playing it after greedfall felt like a massive step backwards.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Next-Gen consoles will have very short loading times, so it will become irrelevant.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i like that in Frogwares Sherlock Holmes you can look over case notes and make connections and the like while the game is loading from one location to another

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Yea I was thinking what a couple other posters here were thinking. SSD's will make those long ass waits a thing of the past, REJOICE!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a great way to further increase load times.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Loading screens aren't that long. Maybe a few games last gen could have done that but I haven't played a RPG this gen with long enough loading screens to do stuff in.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's feasible as Namco(?) hold a patent on gameplay during loading or something odd.

--

edit, nm.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize you can access all the quest/inventory screens while loading in Destiny 2 until like hour 50 of playing.

OP
OP
smash_robot

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
The SSDs next gen should make loading a moot point. So let's look forward to that!
There is a tendency for developers to increase scope to match the hardware, but I am optimistic that SSD's will fix loading somewhat just because the amount of memory is fixed and filling it can only take so long. Hopefully nobody will get carried away and decide to spend 45s procedurally generating a realistic tree or something.

Anyway this does make me want to wait till next gen for cyberpunk 2077.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Loading screen are too short. More so in the future. Even the longer ones are too short in most cases.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
That would be nice. The antithesis was DQ8 on PS2, which triggered short load times when you opened the menu itself. That drove me a little bit crazy by the end of the game.

I think maybe the issue was related to the game's "fancy" localized menus. I've seen videos of the Japanese release with snappy, minimal blue menu screens and got a little jealous.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
This goes a long way into masking the absurd length and frequency of loads in Destiny 2. Even with a SSD, I try to save up inventory management for the loads.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This is a great idea.

Sadly loading screens are gonna be a thing of the past soon.