• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018

www.newyorker.com

A Pennsylvania Mother’s Path to Insurrection

How claims by Rudy Giuliani and Alex Jones spurred a parent of eight to become one of the Capitol riot’s biggest mysteries, and a fugitive from the F.B.I.

During Trump's first campaign, Powell had written on Facebook that she was 'uncomfortable' about him and 'disturbed' by how many people supported him.

But she gradually became a Trump loyalist over the course of his presidency, attending rallies that involved various far-right groups and conspiracy theorists.

During 2020, according to the New Yorker, her Facebook posts turned from harmless musings about yoga, baseball and organic food into hardline political statements.

Powell insisted she did not share the far-right's racist views, but defended using the N-word on social media by saying: 'My favorite book is Gone with the Wind and it uses that term freely'.

FBI prosecutors to Rachel after this defense

Last edited:

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I recall learning about this earlier in the week regarding the farrow article and I'll repeat a polite version of what i thought: absolute clown shoes.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They're out there putting warnings on this stuff for people like her
g8xSQXf.jpg

o3453Tx.jpg

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd actually have a modicum of more respect for them if at this point they just said "I like to be racist" rather than come up with excuses this bad, tbh.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Replace GwtW with Blazing Saddles or Black Dynamite and you have a perfect Onion article.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
They're out there putting warnings on this stuff for people like her
g8xSQXf.jpg

o3453Tx.jpg

Breakfast at Tiffany's was really shocking for us. Wife and I watched it together (because we like Audrey Hepburn) , first time for both of us, and my wife is Japanese. She was super confused and dissapointed.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Let me throw you into a volcano because my favorite book is Lord of the Rings and they are always talking about throwing evil into a volcano.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
when you use a nearly 100 year old fictional book as your defense you know you've screwed up

Should have gone with the movie The Dam Busters. A little more current.

Or professed a love for hiphop.

Breakfast at Tiffany's was really shocking for us. Wife and I watched it together (because we like Audrey Hepburn) , first time for both of us, and my wife is Japanese. She was super confused and dissapointed.

Yeah, I got through a few minutes into it when Micky Rooney pops up and noped the fuck out of there.

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You ever speak with a small child whose caught in a lie and they come up with the most riciculous excuses. Well, it's like except they're adults with the brains of dumb, racist children

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I love Star Wars so it's cool if I blow up planets.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
You ever speak with a small child whose caught in a lie and they come up with the most riciculous excuses. Well, it's like except they're adults with the brains of dumb, racist children
Pretty much. A 3 year old dog would come up with better excuses than this

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Can't wait for "Pro Trump rioter says she only dresses in Klan robes because she likes The Birth of a Nation"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Dalek let the wife know you got plans this weekend. We building sentienels and cooking some Legacy up in the lab

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was confused because i thought i had seen breakfast at tifannys and vaguely remembered it and didn't remember an outright racist scene and then i figured out i hadn't seen it and was thinking of the graduate for some reason. i've seen the scene from breakfast on tv shows and youtube but i don't ever remember seeing the movie.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they say it a lot in the book but I don't remember hearing it too much in the movie. And when they do it's pretty horrible.

Oct 26, 2017
"Understandable. Have a nice day."

Why is it so hard for these people to just admit that they're racist? Just drop all the pretense and just say you're an unapologetic bigot.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly my dear I don't give a damn.

You're still a piece of shit

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
is this the karen version of "YOU COULDN'T MAKE BLAZING SADDLES TODAY"

Oct 29, 2017
"Understandable. Have a nice day."

Why is it so hard for these people to just admit that they're racist? Just drop all the pretense and just say you're an unapologetic bigot.

Because they know it's wrong and they are ashamed of themselves for feeling the way they do, but don't want to accept it outright. That's a big reason they keep digging further and further down the rabbit hole--to get away from their guilt and insecurities.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I only say it cause I think slavery was so gosh darn charmin'.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't Trump referenced that movie like, a lot? I imagine her defense is "oh Trump supports this, it's okay."