• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Make gens shorter like they used to be or just stop this and make the best possible console you can feasibly make at the start of the gen. Generations used to be 5-6 years but this one and the last one are 7. Minuscule updates like Playstation -> PS One, PS2 -> PS2 slim, 360 -> 360E, Xbox One -> Xbox One S, Switch -> "New" Switch are fine because they the hardware was essentially unchanged but there were improvements like slightly overclocked CPUs, better battery life, transistor size, and lower power consumption.

Pro consoles suck for devs because they have to work on more platforms which means more dev time and means ALL versions of a game suffer. More bugs, more optimizing, more problems, and ultimately more time. Sony and Microsoft made it seem like getting these games to look and run better on the Pro consoles was like flipping a switch but 2-3 years later we can see that it's not the case. Games won't just run at 1440p/4K on PS4 Pro just because it's 1080p on PS4. I feel like (3rd party specifically) games aren't pushed and optimized as much as they could be for both base AND pro consoles. It's usually the same things like a game that can't hit a solid 900p on Xbox One S or solid 1080p on PS4 or keep the framerates as solid as they should be. Similarly for pro consoles, imagine all these games being that have been developed but with an RX 470 and an RX 580 exclusively. Today you can see PS4 Pro games that are 1080p to slightly under 1440p and Xbox One X games that are 1440p to slightly under 4K. They would probably be running probably be running at 1440p - reconstructed 4K (Pro) and 1440p - 4K (XBX) with better performance if there were less consoles to manage.

Closest example I could give would be iPhone and Android apps back in the day. iPhone's would always have the app first and it was almost always better performing. Crazily enough it's still the case sometimes even today. Of course this is on a much grander scale, there are only dozens of iPhone models out there while there are thousands of Android devices with varied hardware.

Can devs comment on this? 3rd party specifically? How did managing 3 platforms XB1-PS4-PC from earlier in the generation differ from managing 5 now XB1-XBX-PS4-PRO-PC? How has it affected your games? It seems to be more of an issue with 3rd party games and not really 1st party. Maybe this was a one time thing? Both parties chose AMD as their partner at a time where AMD didn't really have compelling hardware that worked for Sony/MS, which is why we wound up with what felt like the first generation with "underpowered" hardware (barring Nintendo). I quote underpowered because I'm still amazed at what developers are doing with these boxes regardless of what people said at the time of launch or now.

Anyway, I really hope Microsoft and Sony don't do it again with next gen. Both have partnered with AMD again but the difference is AMD seems to be hitting on all cylinders right now on the hardware side of things so maybe these companies won't be compelled to have to create a Pro version of next gen boxes.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Agreed.

Hopefully they wont need it next gen as they'll probably be launching with good specs this time, but they've probably seen too much money from this to not be tempted by more mid gen crap.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Anecdotally I was worried about picking up the PS4 slim bundle last week because everyone was saying if you have a 4K TV you NEED the Pro, but I picked it up and couldn't be happier. Games still look beautiful and I've never been a performance whore, so if I'm missing something I don't know what it is.

I picked up both the Xbox One S and PS4 Slim really late into this generation (Xbox last year, PS4 this year) and think I'll probably do the same next time around, games are cheap now, I don't feel like I'm missing much because performance is good enough, and most of my gaming is done on the PC anyway (and even then, it's nothing that is necessarily demanding - WoW and other assorted stuff).

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wholeheartedly agree. But this is a hard thing to take back once they've done it before. They must see it as easier money.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how it's much different for devs compared to including different graphics settings in pc games.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the upgrade personally. A box that I could do modular updates to but with the simplicity of consoles would be my sweet spot.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Mid Gen refreshes and more variety in console options (like Xbox Anaconda / Lockhart) are here to stay though.

Nov 11, 2017
disagree completely, game systems aren't like phones we can't just reset the ecosystem after every little technological advance.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
They were necessary because the base consoles were terribly weak this generation. Being stuck with 1S the entire generation would have even awful for anyone who cares even a little about performance.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I have the "X" and a Pro and love them both. Obviously the "X" was a much bigger jump than the PRO and with them adding VRR/Dolby Atmos was big for me. But I don't agree at all with you OP. I think it was a good move for those that wanted a more powerful console. I only wish these enhanced consoles would of had better CPU's. Imagine what the "X" could do with all of it's current specs but have a Ryzen CPU instead of the Jaguar?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I honesty don't think we will have any completely new generations in the future. I think we will continue to see incremental upgrades every 3-4 years with "plus", "y", "s" terminology

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I love them both. And the longer generations have been great. As we move away from generations expect to see the things you're complaining about get worse though. We'll have more than two targets per manufacturer.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Which games do you think have been affected negatively by this?

Personally, I don't care. I mostly play exclusives, and they are well optimized. The third-party games I play like RDR2 look fantastic on my PS4 Slim too.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I agree they suck, and after this gen it has made up my mind to wait till the next gen refresh to buy into any of the consoles.

VeggieBurger

Jan 6, 2018
eh i mean i traded in my launch ps4 for a pro and got 200 bucks for it. so i payed 200 bucks partway thru the gen to upgrade the hdd and performance of my system, plus the launch system was loud af so idk i have no prob with a mid gen refresh

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
As long I don't have to buy consoles every other year I'm fine. I bought the OG Xbox one in 2014 and traded in for last year and they gave me basically $400 towards the X.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how it's much different for devs compared to including different graphics settings in pc games.
This. People are making the mid gen refreshes out to be something they're not. If you can give a multi platform game a decent PC port, it's not a far stretch to offer two different performance profiles for a console game.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this all mostly a matter of scaling? They're not developing completely seperate versions of the games the way they would if they were doing cross platform ports. Its only a problem on PC because of the ridiculous range of hardware configurations.. but on the console side its only two hardware configs per pltform, not 40.

I also can't say I've noticed games being more broken/buggy as a result of the mid-cycle consoles. In fact, most of the worst examples of that are from early in the gen before the Pro/X were even rumored.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
agreed. needing to plop down another 4-500 just because the base consoles are too weak is ridiculous.

your new console shouldn't be struggling to run your games at launch, build a beast from the getgo.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see a developer respond cause afaik it doesn't really put much burden on them, I mean it's just a subgroup of people in a studio that deal with that kind of stuff to begin with. Probably way less burden then trying to do a PC version. ext we gonna say don't make those?

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'd be pretty disappointed to still be gaming at 1080p30 on console when I've a gaming PC. My Pro is a nice little 1440p machine that makes transitioning between the two much easier than it would be if I were still on an OG PS4, especially given that most first-party titles make great use of reconstruction methods.

Oct 28, 2017
Disagree.

The presence of the mid-gen consoles wouldn't have magically made the "next gen" show up (or be affordable) years earlier. It allowed me to upgrade to get a nice power boost up from my original X1, while letting my friends who cared less about the graphical increase stay on their consoles longer without having to "buy in" on a new gen. It was win-win.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I maintain that gens would 100% not be shorter even if mid-gen refreshes did not exist.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I like it.

They have been doing revisions for years. With the only meaningful thing being a bigger hard drive. In some cases features that should have been there at launch gets introduced in a revision.

Throw in some updated specs and all of a sudden it's an issue. As long as the mid gen refreshes aren't having exclusive games made for the them, I don't see a problem.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
As a primarily console focused player I think my experience would suffer, how many games on base PS4 and XB1 have a unstable frame rate? quite a lot.

This year
Metro exodus
Control
Star wars jedi: fallen order.
COD campaign
Days gone
And more...

I own an XB1X and a PS4, if I choose to play those games on PS4 I wouldn't stop complaining about how much the frame rate sucks. For all the trouble that mid gen console upgrade can bring I gladly take improved performance and resolution over the negatives.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think its as deep as you think
yupp
agreed. need to plop down another 4-500 just because the base consoles are too weak is ridiculous.

your new console shouldn't be struggling to run your games at launch, build a beast from the getgo.
they need to make money and not alienate customers, its not only you they make consoles for

AND AGAIN, you dont need to get them, they don't make your old consoles unsupported and obsolete

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have too much of a problem with the premium consoles since I just see them like upgrading a GPU in a desktop, costs more for better performance but you're still getting the same games. Unlike PC though there's no options, can't change resolution and graphic settings so if a game runs bad on the base system there's nothing you can do.
That's the one issue I do have, when games run terrible on the base consoles and fine on the premium, there's games that are absolutely abysmal and honestly shocking they were released in the state they were performance wise but the premium console runs them fine, a majority of people will be playing on the base consoles though, performance should be made to run well on those before porting to the more powerful systems.
Only problem I had really and one of the main reasons why I've skipped some games this gen, since I own a PC multi-plats that run poor on the base systems I can always get on there but there's a couple PS4 games that I was looking forward to but performance on the base system kinda killed the purchase for me.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
yupp

they need to make money and not alienate customers, its not only you they make consoles for

AND AGAIN, you dont need to get them, they don't make your old consoles unsupported and obsolete

customers shouldn't settle for something that struggles to run thee things it exist for, even right out of the gate.

and, yes you do need to get them if you want the games to run and look as good as they should.

take mw on a base xbox for example, it's complete trash.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Strongly disagree. I love it. I love having more options. The base PS4 has really not suffered at all. They pushed it as far as they could. Development has changed a lot, compiling and even setting tuning are still there. You're not going to get your mythical "To the metal" design back, not that we're that far off now anyway. It's purely perception.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
customers shouldn't settle for something that struggles to run thee things it exist for, even right out of the gate.

and, yes you do need to get them if you want the games to run and look as good as they should.

take mw on a base xbox for example, it's complete trash.
The base Xbox always ran like trash comparitively to other systems. It was underpowered to start.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
Pro consoles suck for devs because they have to work on more platforms which means more dev time and means ALL versions of a game suffer. More bugs, more optimizing, more problems, and ultimately more time.

Can devs comment on this? 3rd party specifically? How did managing 3 platforms XB1-PS4-PC from earlier in the generation differ from managing 5 now XB1-XBX-PS4-PRO-PC? How has it affected your games? It seems to be more of an issue with 3rd party games and not really 1st party.

Was going to ask for a citation, but I see there's no evidence to back up the claim that they suck for devs.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
It does feel kind of weird but I primarily game on Nintendo. Recently got a ps4 slim though. Which big games this gen need to run on the Pro and X to be noticeably stable?

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I like "Pro" consoles and i'm sure they're here to stay. I'm ready to double dip next gen too

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Gigantic budgets and risk-adversed market leaders is what's holding the games back, and not the fact that devs have to optimize games for four different console configurations on average.

Hell, if anything, I'd like longer gens. Stop using horsepower as a creative crutch.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Its fine. Games still play fine on the original models. Also wasn't last gen 7-8 years with the ps3 and 360? 2005/2006-2013. Mid gen refreshes haven't made the timespan longer.

Idk seems like if you want shorter time between hardware, mid-gen refreshes is exactly what you'd want.

Also Devs already work on different hardware levels on pc. Not to mention the difference in the base level ps4, xbox one and switch hardware. (and in some cases smartphones) Developing for different hardware performance is the norm. I doubt they find it too difficult.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joule

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
As a primarily console focused player I think my experience would suffer, how many games on base PS4 and XB1 have a unstable frame rate? quite a lot.

This year
Metro exodus
Control
Star wars jedi: fallen order.
COD campaign
Days gone
And more...

I own an XB1X and a PS4, if I choose to play those games on PS4 I wouldn't stop complaining about how much the frame rate sucks. For all the trouble that mid gen console upgrade can bring I gladly take improved performance and resolution over the negatives.

Yes, that's one of my points. Control or Borderlands 3 are good examples. Those games probably have unstable frame rates (or other issues) because there's less time to optimize since there are more hardware to develop and code for.
I don't really have too much of a problem with the premium consoles since I just see them like upgrading a GPU in a desktop, costs more for better performance but you're still getting the same games. Unlike PC though there's no options, can't change resolution and graphic settings so if a game runs bad on the base system there's nothing you can do.
That's the one issue I do have, when games run terrible on the base consoles and fine on the premium, there's games that are absolutely abysmal and honestly shocking they were released in the state they were performance wise but the premium console runs them fine, a majority of people will be playing on the base consoles though, performance should be made to run well on those before porting to the more powerful systems.
Only problem I had really and one of the main reasons why I've skipped some games this gen, since I own a PC multi-plats that run poor on the base systems I can always get on there but there's a couple PS4 games that I was looking forward to but performance on the base system kinda killed the purchase for me.
I share the same feeling.