• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
President Trump's influential supporter Rupert Murdoch is telling close associates he believes Joe Biden will win the election in a landslide.

The Australian-born billionaire is disgusted by Trump's handling of COVID-19, remarking that the president is his own worst enemy, that he is not listening to advice about how best to handle the pandemic, and that he's creating a never-ending crisis for his administration, according to three people who have spoken with Murdoch.

In response to an email inquiry for this report asking him if he believes Biden will win in a landslide and his thoughts on Trump's handling of coronavirus, Murdoch responded, "No comment except I've never called Trump an idiot,
" referring to a 2018 report that the media mogul called the president a "fucking idiot" following a chat about immigration.

While Murdoch believes the outcome of the election is a fait accompli, his New York tabloid has been doing everything in its power to help Trump's re-election chances, publishing a screaming page 1 story on Wednesday under the headline, "Biden Secret E-Mails." The supposed "smoking gun" emails purported to show that Hunter Biden had introduced his father to a Ukrainian businessman when he was vice president, though the Post relied on unverified documents given to them by Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani. (Biden's team denies that such a meeting took place.)

Murdoch had long prized having unfettered access to the White House, much like the direct line he has enjoyed to leaders in Australia and the U.K. But people familiar with the matter say the two men have not spoken in several weeks after Murdoch grew tired of Trump's endless complaints about what the president viewed as negative coverage on Fox News.

The 89-year-old has spent much of 2020 in Oxfordshire with fourth wife, Jerry Hall, and is described by people both within Fox and News Corp as "semi-retired" from day-to-day operations of his media empire, having delegated responsibilities to his eldest son, Lachlan, following the sale of vast parts of 21st Century Fox to Disney for $52.4 billion last year.

At one point in the winter, as Murdoch grew increasingly frustrated with Trump, he even considered getting behind another Democratic candidate, having discussions about supporting Mike Bloomberg in his ill-fated presidential run, a Murdoch executive told The Daily Beast.

In the run-up to the 2016 election, Murdoch twice tweeted his support for a Bloomberg run.

But he is now firmly of the mindset that the next president will be Biden, telling one associate, "after all that has gone on, people are ready for Sleepy Joe."

Friends say Murdoch has never taken Trump seriously and his association with him is out of business necessity. He once tweeted, "When is Donald Trump going to stop embarrassing his friends, let alone the whole country?"

It has been a tumultuous year for the Murdoch family, with youngest son, James, and his wife, Kathryn, unleashing an extraordinary public attack on Fox News and News Corp over their coverage of the deadly Australian wildfires.

"Kathryn and James' views on climate are well established and their frustration with some of the News Corp and Fox coverage of the topic is also well known," a spokesperson for the couple told The Daily Beast in January.

www.thedailybeast.com

Exclusive: Fox News Owner Rupert Murdoch Predicts a Landslide Win for Biden

The Australian mogul is disgusted by Trump’s handling of COVID-19, remarking that the president is his own worst enemy and telling associates “people are ready for Sleepy Joe.”

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Why is Rupert Murdoch still even alive at this point, that's my main question in all this. Evil really is immortal huh.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
One of the rare few people on the planet who deserve a deadly virus (or actual justice, but lol) more than Trump.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that was truly the case, Fox News would be presenting information very differently by now.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I don't give a shit what that criminal thinks. One of the most dangerous people to have lived.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I'll say this for Murdoch, he knows when to jump off a sinking ship.

He remains the only big mogul to come to Hollywood and walk away with more money than he went in with and all he had to do to get it was cut the throat of one of the most venerable studios out there, (what was once) Fox.

As was an industry rumour this time last year, I could see Murdoch selling off the rest of his wholly owned media assets and 'doubling down' on Disney in the next couple of years. With a landslide Biden win Fox News may not be worth the hassle (even with the huge profits) if they aren't on the 'winning' side

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
This is very very interesting and important

The couple's combative stance against the family company led to James resigning from the board of News Corp in July, citing editorial disagreements.

"I reached the conclusion that you can venerate a contest of ideas, if you will, and we all do and that's important," he told The New York Times about his decision to quit. "But it shouldn't be in a way that hides agendas. A contest of ideas shouldn't be used to legitimize disinformation. And I think it's often taken advantage of. And I think at great news organizations, the mission really should be to introduce fact to disperse doubt—not to sow doubt, to obscure fact, if you will.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know Murdoch wasn't born in the US. Something kind of ironic about that given that he controls the narrative of the Republican Party.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Murdoch, more than anyone else, responsible for the modern GOP. Including Reagan, Bush, and Trump. Fuck him!

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
He's an evil disgusting man that got rich(er) by basically selling hate and bullshits around the world, but he's also a guy who lived through a lot of political ages and perfectly knows in which direction the wind is blowing. I agree with him and I deeply hope he's right.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Play a dangerous game, win shitty prices. Murdoch's agenda is money, influence and having his political ideals realized. Trump's ultimate agenda is Trump. He doesn't play ball, esp. not when it comes to placating his ego when he feels his ego is under threat.

Oct 28, 2017
It's for ratings. He's just saying what conservatives want to hear at this point, especially now that OAN is growing in mindshare and attention.
This + Sinclair truly is a chilling thought.

We're entering a whole new stage of the propaganda where the new cable option goes even harder. Fox viewers think they're being "moderate". And on broadcast, right wing talking points prepared by a literal nazi (Seb Gorka) are being parroted by "the nice local lady that lives and works in your community".

I don't know what form it takes. But we need mass regulation of media, badly.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Fox news came about because of what the right-winged politicians were doing. If there was never Fox News, another would have popped up in it's place thanks to cable news.

I dunno. We went through the Reagan years without em. I would make an argument there was absolutely a shift in the media and journalistic ethics going into the 21st century that wasn't there before. Obv we had right wing mags, but nothing on the scale of Fox News. That said, you can make the argument again regarding social media echo chambers and the speed at things like Qanon becoming mainstream

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I dunno. We went through the Reagan years without em. I would make an argument there was absolutely a shift in the media and journalistic ethics going into the 21st century that wasn't there before. Obv we had right wing mags, but nothing on the scale of Fox News. That said, you can make the argument again regarding social media echo chambers and the speed at things like Qanon becoming mainstream

The Regan years got rid of the fairness doctrine (a terrible de-regluation move), which led to hardcore right winged radio becoming very popular, which then gave TV execs the bright idea to bring that to TV. It was 1987 when we saw that happen and then we got Rush Limbaugh, that guy is terrible and really gave the right's supporters somewhere to bash the left.

The Fairness Doctrine, was a policy that required the holders of broadcast licenses to both present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was—in the FCC's view—honest, equitable, and balanced.

We have had right winged think tanks going back to Nixon's presidency that have really shaped the right's political strategy, they would have eventually taken advantage of TV as well.

It is a shame that eventually the right ruins everything that was at one time good.

May 9, 2018
No offense, but the VOTE posts are getting more obnoxious by the day. People are voting. Millions of them already. People aren't complacent. People constantly saying VOTE on internet message boards isn't going to change things in either direction.
People on internet message boards are also the ones saying "Trump is bad, but Biden is also bad, so the only ethical option is to not vote."

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
I searched all over Google and didn't see that anywhere. Do you have links?

He did feel Obama would win in a landslide in 2008 at least: https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2936112720080529
Yea, I don't think there is any evidence because I don't think he made any such prediction. I've found articles that he didn't like trump and even said he'd rather hillary be president, but nothing that indicates he said Trump would lose. Doesn't really matter either way because it's not like he knows anything.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
The cause of so much pain and misinformation for the US, UK, and Australia. I envy you our Canadian and New Zealand brothers and sisters.

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
People on internet message boards are also the ones saying "Trump is bad, but Biden is also bad, so the only ethical option is to not vote."
Where exactly? I haven't seen it on this board, but I haven't waded much onto this side of the board. I frequent quite a few other boards and literally have never seen the 2016, both sides bad I'm not voting thing anywhere.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Fox news is rather new right? What was the fox news before fox news? I kinda can't imagine an america without fox news and I'm not even american.