• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the same art with a smoothing filter that you can probably turn off.

Dec 6, 2019
I got to the final boss of the first one. After a few attempts I was worried the attack button was gonna get worn out

Oct 26, 2017
This is one of those weird situations where two different parts of my past have smashed together. I worked on several Backbone titles under Konami such as the X-Men Arcade game and Simpsons game. This is not anything like that. The screens we have were more "proof of concept". We'll have more screenshots coming as we reveal more of the game and you can let me know then if you still feel that way but at present this is not by any means the final look.
Yeah hopefully if there is a filter, then it's optional. Is this made in-house at NIS if you are allowed to say?

Again, my personal preference is if the game can retain its original sprites without filters if possible. Textures on the 3D assets look fine but still. Was anything remade for the Switch versions (sprites, models, textures, etc.), or is everything just the PSP assets, but (in these screens at least) filtered to "look" HD?

Thanks for dropping by, really appreciate it! :D

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
Yeah hopefully if there is a filter, then it's optional. Is this made in-house at NIS if you are allowed to say?

Again, my personal preference is if the game can retain its original sprites without filters if possible. Textures on the 3D assets look fine but still. Was anything remade for the Switch versions (sprites, models, textures, etc.), or is everything just the PSP assets, but (in these screens at least) filtered to "look" HD?

Thanks for dropping by, really appreciate it! :D

Nothing I can announce right now. We'll have follow-ups about it at a later date.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Filter options on the Disgaea games on Steam were working just fine, and this game scales up great.

I used a PS1 Mini to emulate the PSP game on a Big Full HD tv and it played and looked fantastic, so there is not much need to mess around with this. If more filters can be added to this port, then great! But im just excited for this game to come out and maybe many more to follow.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
This 2 tittle was hard as hell. I remember fighting Prinny Lahral ... or was it Prinny Baal, freaking thing took forever. Good replay value though, multiple routes and multiple item in different route.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
la pucelle is weird because it was one of the pre-nisa nis releases. pieces, jigsaw madness, rhapsody, la pucelle, and the first disgaea were all done by other publishers. iirc, la pucelle was censored on ps2 with religious content being removed from the western version. not sure how that affected the localization. and then la pucelle was rereleased on ps3 despite the psp version being made years earlier. there's probably no one who really cares about that game in particular at this stage to put in the work to get the english assets and also localize the extra content, in addition to porting.

soul nomad would be easier. phantom brave would actually be the easiest, but that thing's been ported everywhere already. not sure a switch port is necessary when it bombed on wii and psp.

Oh man, that's a bummer to hear. Phantom Brave has been quietly my most wanted port lol. And I did buy the Wii version.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, that's a bummer to hear. Phantom Brave has been quietly my most wanted port lol. And I did buy the Wii version.

to be fair to those versions - wii was probably the wrong platform in 2009 for a phantom brave upgrade. psp should have been it, and should have happened sooner. by the time it released, nothing was selling on psp. the pc version appears to have done fairly well critically, and probably moved a decent amount of units, but not enough to grant another game like it on pc.

Oct 26, 2017
to be fair to those versions - wii was probably the wrong platform in 2009 for a phantom brave upgrade. psp should have been it, and should have happened sooner. by the time it released, nothing was selling on psp. the pc version appears to have done fairly well critically, and probably moved a decent amount of units, but not enough to grant another game like it on pc.
Phantom Brave on Wii was a good idea, but only as a game for an existing audience. NIS made the mistake of not putting Disgaea 1 or 2 on Wii first. It's always been their main and most popular franchise yet they picked Phantom Brave of all things.

Phantom Brave would be perfect NOW on Switch since NIS/NISA have become a sort of household name on Switch and for good reason. People WILL take notice now. Maybe not in a major way, but the NIS name is known and sort of helps sell their games, espesially to the existing fans of Disgaea.

I still say that porting Disgaea 5 to Switch close to launch in the west was a sheer stroke of genius. In Japan it was a launch title so it kind of got drowned out by BOTW. But in the west it was released at the end of May where there wasn't much going on and folks had enough of a fill of BOTW to take notice. Also huge was that it was the first proper JRPG on the system (I doubt many gave a fuck about Setsuna which wasn't even a retail release in the west), and D5 was absolutely a big get being NIS's most important and biggest game... possibly ever? It was also a very good value as even at full price, it was cheaper than buying the game and all the DLC on PS4 at the time. I doubt many cared that it didn't come with new content, and that might've been a time constraint to get it out for launch/close to launch.

And it paid off hugely. Not so much in Japan (even the PS4 original bombed hard) and eventually outdid the PS4 original as you've said so in the past. :) And literally paved the way for NIS/NISA to go all hands on deck for the system and we're seeing the fruits of the labor and then some. NIS really saved themselves by trusting in the Switch. Sony bowing out of the handheld business was the best thing to happen to Nintendo since it got them all the support the "Vita 2" would've inevitably have gotten. Mark my words.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this! Prinny 1 is one of the best platformers of all time and I'd love to have it on the Switch! Is the $59.99 price on Amazon confirmed, though? That seems a bit excessive for a port of two old games which cost less than that combined when they came out a decade ago.

EDIT: Oh I see it's a collector's edition with a bunch of cool extras... will consider.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This 2 tittle was hard as hell. I remember fighting Prinny Lahral ... or was it Prinny Baal, freaking thing took forever. Good replay value though, multiple routes and multiple item in different route.

I'm guessing it's Prinny Baal, Prinny Laharl is one of the shortest fights in the game if you know his weakpoint.

Whilst Prinny Baal is immune to it, Prinny Laharl didn't get the immunity from "Explode when thrown" that Prinnies have.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
This game now has my attention.
More specifically it feels like Super Ghouls & Ghosts due to the momentum-locked double jump. That's more or less where the similarities end, however -- Prinny has more flexible movement options and its levels usually have multiple routes you can take. Its combat feels more dynamic as well -- there aren't really weapon upgrades like in GnG, but in addition to your main slash attack you have a midair attack which can be used at long range but deals more damage if used at close range, a buttstomp move to stun enemies, bombs lying around that you can throw, and vehicles that can help with both movement and combat.

There's a bit of Mega Man influence as well -- the main game only has six main boss stages (plus a few endgame stages), but the main stages can be played in any order, and they actually get a complete overhaul depending on the order in which you play them. So you really have to play the game 6 times to see everything. Everything in the game is amazingly well-crafted and provides a serious challenge but never feels unfair. Lots of bonus content as well.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
More specifically it feels like Super Ghouls & Ghosts due to the momentum-locked double jump. That's more or less where the similarities end, however -- Prinny has more flexible movement options and its levels usually have multiple routes you can take. Its combat feels more dynamic as well -- there aren't really weapon upgrades like in GnG, but in addition to your main slash attack you have a midair attack which can be used at long range but deals more damage if used at close range, a buttstomp move to stun enemies, bombs lying around that you can throw, and vehicles that can help with both movement and combat.

There's a bit of Mega Man influence as well -- the main game only has six main boss stages (plus a few endgame stages), but the main stages can be played in any order, and they actually get a complete overhaul depending on the order in which you play them. So you really have to play the game 6 times to see everything. Everything in the game is amazingly well-crafted and provides a serious challenge but never feels unfair. Lots of bonus content as well.
Not to mention the insanely difficult DLC. And all the bosses have full voice, often with hilarious results.

His Star Wars puns are incredible.

The other thing of note is that it's super responsive to button mashing. The faster you mash, the quicker you kill things(utterly essential against the crazier bosses).

nenned

Oct 27, 2017

Good to know. I'll keep an eye on the game. Thanks for the info.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention the insanely difficult DLC. And all the bosses have full voice, often with hilarious results.

His Star Wars puns are incredible.

The other thing of note is that it's super responsive to button mashing. The faster you mash, the quicker you kill things(utterly essential against the crazier bosses).

10 years later and my thumb STILL hurts from the (optional postgame content spoiler!)
Etna fight

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Disgaea one is the lamest pun, so it's frustrating to see it winning. I find the void one most amusing, but the other 2 are solid gags.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's an absolute shame that the Void parody cover isn't winning. It's clearly the best one.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I think the Void one is the worst one personally lol. I'm happy with the three others.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just here to say I love the winning reverse cover for the game, really takes me back.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Did anything got mentioned if this is full on exclusive or a timed deal?

I mean, i imagine it will eventually be everywhere which is awesome. But so far it's just Switch and no plans for other systems or pc?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Did anything got mentioned if this is full on exclusive or a timed deal?

I mean, i imagine it will eventually be everywhere which is awesome. But so far it's just Switch and no plans for other systems or pc?
Small developer. Don't get your hopes up.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Small developer. Don't get your hopes up.

Small?! What?

Dude... its Nis America. Sure they are not AAA developers... but it's not an indie group either. This aint Limited Run Games or something like that y'know?

Globally Nippon Ichi software profits over a 1 Billion USD a year. Hardly "small developer" . the Trails series, they Publish La Mulana everywhere, The Langrisser 1 and 2 remakes for every platform. even Disaster 4 got multiplatform release. Plus all the Disgaea games... between Developing, Porting and Publishing NIS is far from being small. If anything, even if they don't have stellar AAA output they are one of the more reliable and consistent "Do the work" type of developers around...

Which is exactly why i thought it was strange the previously PSP only title, now getting a Port just for Switch... because it's actually unusual for how NIS tends to do things.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Small?! What?

Dude... its Nis America. Sure they are not AAA developers... but it's not an indie group either. This aint Limited Run Games or something like that y'know?

Globally Nippon Ichi software profits over a 1 Billion USD a year. Hardly "small developer" . the Trails series, they Publish La Mulana everywhere, The Langrisser 1 and 2 remakes for every platform. even Disaster 4 got multiplatform release. Plus all the Disgaea games... between Developing, Porting and Publishing NIS is far from being small. If anything, even if they don't have stellar AAA output they are one of the more reliable and consistent "Do the work" type of developers around...

Which is exactly why i thought it was strange the previously PSP only title, now getting a Port just for Switch... because it's actually unusual for how NIS tends to do things.

well, they don't make 1 billion usd a year. where did you get that number? and nippon ichi software doesn't make the kiseki games, la-mulana, langrisser, or disaster report.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just saw that trailer. Have they remastered/touched this up at all?

Looks as fuzzy as on PSP, which makes the price point a little eye-watering.