• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Switch confirmed true PSP/Vita successor confirmed. /s

My brother was really into this series.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I loved the first one. It felt like a nice take on the Ghosts and Goblins formula. I am not sure if I want to face the last boss on the first one again though. I still remember how much I had to mash that damn square button.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kroz

Jul 4, 2019
Never beat the first game, found it ridiculously hard. They give 1000 lives for a reason.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
NISA, if you're reading this, I want your PS2 RPGs: Makai Kingdom, La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, Soul Nomad.

Count me in! We never got the La Pucelle PSP port with the additional content so La Pucelle definitely needs a rerelease. Phantom Brave is also the only NIS SPRG I played that I liked so gib it to me on Switch too.

Though I've only played Disgaea 1 and Phantom Brave :p

I tried to play Disgaea 3 on the Vita but I just couldn't get into the games tongue in cheek premise.

My first thought as well.

I'm honestly surprised this wasn't a PS4 exclusive

Don't know why you're surprised. NIS isn't Atlus. They've put plenty of stuff on the Switch so far.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I really enjoyed the first game but I could never get past some giant robot/knight thingy.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I was always curious about this series. Love the sprite work but I hope the gameplay is good.

I'm honestly surprised this wasn't a PS4 exclusive.

I don't think NISA is ever going to do a PS exclusive again considering their recent mentions about how Sony is abandoning middle-tier titles in favor of AAA games. I'm pretty sure their new focus will be the Switch from now on.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Count me in! We never got the La Pucelle PSP port with the additional content so La Pucelle definitely needs a rerelease. Phantom Brave is also the only NIS SPRG I played that I liked so gib it to me on Switch too.

Though I've only played Disgaea 1 and Phantom Brave :p

I tried to play Disgaea 3 on the Vita but I just couldn't get into the games tongue in cheek premise.

la pucelle is weird because it was one of the pre-nisa nis releases. pieces, jigsaw madness, rhapsody, la pucelle, and the first disgaea were all done by other publishers. iirc, la pucelle was censored on ps2 with religious content being removed from the western version. not sure how that affected the localization. and then la pucelle was rereleased on ps3 despite the psp version being made years earlier. there's probably no one who really cares about that game in particular at this stage to put in the work to get the english assets and also localize the extra content, in addition to porting.

soul nomad would be easier. phantom brave would actually be the easiest, but that thing's been ported everywhere already. not sure a switch port is necessary when it bombed on wii and psp.

and disgaea 3 is the worst one of the franchise that i've played (didn't touch disgaea d2 or disgaea 5). the humor comes solely from the idea of it being opposite day and the joke is exhausted by the end of explanation of what the joke is.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the first game but I could never get past some giant robot/knight thingy.

I recall having a great difficulty on that boss (Chefbot 9000 I imagine).

Looking online on videos fighting it, seems like it's body had a much more generous hurt box than you first think.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. The first game was fantastic.
However, it was the only game ever for me in which I got stuck on the end boss and was never able to beat it.

I never played the second game—I recall it being considered a significant step down.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
YES! Always wanted to play this game but sold my PSP before I did. Will definitely play it this time. Except when they fuck something up.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Prinny is one of those franchises I enjoyed a lot and was worth the experience yet I don't know if I would try it again... the difficulty level is absurd and I hope your gamepad is ready for some serious, hardware killer button mashing. Prinny 1 is great, Prinny 2 was definitely disappointing.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Sweet mother of god im happy to see this.

Now just hoping EVERY platform gets it, cause im buying it day one. Sadly, don't own a switch tho...

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, surprised it's not coming to the PS4 too especially considering that the originals were on the PSP.

Felaipes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember playing the first one and there was one boss that made you fucking smash the square button on the psp. It was impossible.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Surprised there is no PS4 version but NISA has mentioned that several Switch releases did really well for them so I guess I am not completely shocked.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I can't remember if I ever played the second one, but the first game was a lot of fun. And yes, it's super hard. The final boss is especially difficult.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
This actually looks hilarious, other than platforming, what kind of games are these?

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The sequel is hot garbage, but the original is one of the most hardcore, best platformers ever made. The localization was phenomenal, too.

Actually, scratch that: Asagi Wars in Prinny 2 is worth the price of admission.

Man, I loved the first one. It felt like a nice take on the Ghosts and Goblins formula. I am not sure if I want to face the last boss on the first one again though. I still remember how much I had to mash that damn square button.
I've seen hell. I cleared the Baal DLC level and Li'l Asagi Comes Home.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ok that's works.
Then I am assuming this is 1 of the 2 NISA announcements? If so have they made the other yet?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
How are these games if you haven't played Disgaea? This seems more up my alley.
I never felt I was missing out on anything (only Disgaea I've played was like 30 mins of some entry on the PS3), but note that it's a completely unforgiving platformer so frustration is part of the experience.

Oct 30, 2017
I played the first one and quite enjoyed it. My only complaint is that you had to button smash like crazy on the final boss (and other bosses too, but I remember that one tiring my fingers). I hope they remove the button smashing aspect, by limiting how many hits you can do per second. Though they probably would have to re-balance the whole game, so I doubt that'll happen.

Haven't got two the second one, probably out of fear of permanently damaging my PSP's buttons.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, huh. I haven't really bought (...or at least played, I guess I bought a few more recently) NIS games in a loooong while after being a big fan back in the PSP and to a lesser extent the PS3 days.

I never played the sequel but I really liked the original. I managed to get to the final boss, and even lived to the point of the fight timing out but could never fit in enough damage to kill it! I distinctly remember thinking that I should go back to it after some rhythm games improved my ability to mash square, hah, but I never got around to trying. (EDIT: lmao, post above wasn't made when I loaded the page, guess it's good to see I wasn't alone!) Think it was even one of their games I eventually rebought for a few bucks on PSN with the idea of transferring my save data from PSP to Vita to do that...

Maybe I'll pick this up, then. It was probably one of the few things I played when I was younger that actually demanded that kind of harsh boss pattern memorization. Didn't really ever engage with that stuff much until Sekiro and Hollow Knight in the past few years. So I'm pretty tempted to see if it's actually as hard as I remember, or if I've actually gotten any better at that kind of thing since then...

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay looks awesome and I love Prinnies. Preordered. (Still waiting for more Trails tho).

Do these have a fun goofy story like Disgaea games, or is it more focused on just sidescrolling action?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I might spring for this, I remember the first one being pretty difficult

Oct 26, 2017
Oh boy, I got bad news, and it's ugly... literally:

81CbqbyWhIL.jpg
81HtEaXuK3L.jpg
81VzR1pMmdL.jpg
719qJW0iJ5L.jpg

Amazon.com: Prinny 12: Exploded and Reloaded - Nintendo Switch (Just Desserts Edition): Koei Tecmo America Corpor, Koei: Video Games

Amazon.com: Prinny 12: Exploded and Reloaded - Nintendo Switch (Just Desserts Edition): Koei Tecmo America Corpor, Koei: Video Games

The Prinnies don't look as bad... but dear lord Etna. O_o Here's the PSP original for comparison:

prinny2_15.jpg

They literally pulled a Backbone!

sonic-the-hedgehog-high-speed-20070711025450009-2049970.jpg

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
...maybe it's because I'm looking at this on my phone, but I don't see a huge issue? It looks like the same art...?

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
They literally pulled a Backbone!

This is one of those weird situations where two different parts of my past have smashed together. I worked on several Backbone titles under Konami such as the X-Men Arcade game and Simpsons game. This is not anything like that. The screens we have were more "proof of concept". We'll have more screenshots coming as we reveal more of the game and you can let me know then if you still feel that way but at present this is not by any means the final look.