• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Because it's forced unnaturally into whats supposed to be a serious emotional scene after a serious but bad boss fight.

I get its supposed to be a moment of levity but its so unfunny it circles back around into anti-levity.

Well I guess that's on you then for feeling that way.
ActualDeadlyGermanwirehairedpointer-size_restricted.gif

Oct 3, 2019
The scene is dumb and cringe as hell no matter how it was intended. Saying "actually it's supposed to be awkward so it can't really be awkward you just don't get it" isn't the defense some of you think it is.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I love Death Stranding, I really do, but it's sort of frustrating that it has all these interesting concepts and ideas that it sort of doesn't really explore.

I feel like the open world gets in the way of the story and the story doesn't really work in the open world, if that makes sense.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Just a snippet of the worst big budget story & writing we've ever seen in gaming.

Jan 10, 2018
Kojima is the absolute master of schlock. Death Stranding is one of the best comedy games out there. I laughed so hard at some of the stuff in that game that I had to put down the controller every now and then

rude

Oct 25, 2017
the ACTUAL best laugh in the game is the record scratch sam does at heartman's place

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the opinion that while Kojima definitely deserves praise for his meta stuff (unplugging controllers and changing console dates in MGS) and crazy ambitious game design, his writing is absolute garbage and always has been.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The scene is dumb and cringe as hell no matter how it was intended. Saying "actually it's supposed to be awkward so it can't really be awkward you just don't get it" isn't the defense some of you think it is.

Why do you and everyone else care so damn much? Why are people who like one of the more unique big budget games being labelled as cultists and idiots ITT?
I don't think the writing in his games is without issues, but god damn you guys suck so much for that attitude.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
The David Lynch of games. Screw your preconceptions and needs for a cohesive plot and tone. Love it.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhh it was fine, game was full of goofy moments like that, that's just a hallmark of a Kojima game.

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
It was hilarious. If it was unintentional that's even better. The game was excellent but unfortunately some people just hate fun and I feel sad for them. Oh well

Nov 4, 2017
I just assumed that the Mario games existed in the DS universe and Amelie was just riffing on it. I don't understand why so many people are personally offended by the mere existence of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
the gameplay is always the best part, and i think it's actually the meshing of gameplay + narrative + extensive worldbuilding that make kojipro games great and actually more immersive than a lot of other games with a lot of cinematic influence.
Yeah it is a great combination. They all fit together.
the ACTUAL best laugh in the game is the record scratch sam does at heartman's place

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't mind it. It's Kojima so I expect things like that. The game was incredible and the last gameplay segment and cutscene had tears in my eyes.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Everything that wasn't delivering an inordinate amount of boxes and trying to stay standing in rough terrain really sucked in that game. Jesus.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I'm of the opinion that while Kojima definitely deserves praise for his meta stuff (unplugging controllers and changing console dates in MGS) and crazy ambitious game design, his writing is absolute garbage and always has been.
Tomokazu Fukushima is the master mind of the metal gear serie and Kojima just surf on that since then.
Don't get me wrong, Kojima know how to make good gameplay, but his story is hilariously pedentic and terrible.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Guys, of course it was meant to be tongue in cheek, nobody thinks it was trying to be serious. You're not telling anyone anything new.

Intent does not equal execution. Sometimes bad jokes are just bad jokes. People disliking something doesn't mean they don't understand it.
Tidus' laugh 2.0 (though I think the laugh was fine tbh. This not so much.)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Na, this is absolutely amazing and some of you need to lighten up. Kojima does goofy shit like this all the time and it has always been a huge part of this charm.

Death Stranding's story is great, especially the ending.
The vast majority of Death Stranding's story is characters explaining why they're named the way Kojima named them on top of explaining how the rules of the lore work. This leads to scenes that are meant to be emotional feeling super unearned because the characters can't just exist as characters in the world. Save for the ending scene which features actual relatable emotions and not an exposition dump. It's not about needing to lighten up, it's about Kojima needing to maintain a tone. And for his fans to stop excusing weak scenes as "Kojima-isms." Hell there's a very unsubtle conversation about the expected notion of game design contained within the game. Told to the player in a condescending manner via Troy Baker breaking the fourth wall. One that's entirely unnecessary.

Guys, of course it was meant to be tongue in cheek, nobody thinks it was trying to be serious. You're not telling anyone anything new.

Intent does not equal execution. Sometimes bad jokes are just bad jokes. People disliking something doesn't mean they don't understand it.

Last edited:

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Death Stranding might be the game with the biggest chasm between quality of world building and story/dialogue. Just about every scene in that game is so terrible that this almost didn't register when I first played it for being so bad.

It's a shame really because I think the core idea behind the game is brilliant and the gameplay is strangely compelling, if a little tedious by the end.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Tomokazu Fukushima is the master mind of the metal gear serie and Kojima just surf on that since then.
Don't get me wrong, Kojima know how to make good gameplay, but his story is hilariously pedentic and terrible.

I keep reading this and it's absurd. Fukushima wrote the optional codec conversations. Kojima wrote the rest of it. Even Yoji Shinkawa had more influence on the game than Fukushima did. Just say you hate Kojima and move on, instead of lying to people.

thesnakesoup.org

The Curious Case of Tomokazu Fukushima :: THE SNAKE SOUP

"While this makes for an appealing David vs Goliath-esque narrative, does the reality live up to the legend?"

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of Death Stranding's story is characters explaining why they're named the way Kojima named them on top of explaining how the rules of the lore work. This leads to scenes that are meant to be emotional feeling super unearned because the characters can't just exist as characters in the world. Save for the ending scene which features actual relatable emotions and not an exposition dump. It's not about needing to lighten up, it's about Kojima needing to maintain a tone. And for his fans to stop excusing weak scenes as "Kojima-isms."
Sorry, can't agree with this at all. They are "Kojima-ism" and they are charming nonsense and a massive part of why I love his work. You not liking it is fine, but they are very fun to a lot of people and you definitely need to lighten up a bit about this imo.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

56yz6p.jpg

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Kojima's whole vibe is strong themes and characterization weighed down by overblown soap opera melodrama, boob physics, and shit/piss jokes.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I feel like it's really really pointless to talk about this scene.

This scene itself is irrelevant, because the way people view it depends 100% on their experience with the game

If you liked the story, this is just tongue in cheek scene. It's a silly joke your friend told at a party and you all laughed at how terrible it was and moved on.
If you hated it, this was a naked man breaking into your house and smearing shit on the walls, and waiting for you and when you walk in, he tells you the same joke.

Joke is the same, but in one case, it's friends having goof with each other.
In other you are miserable and want this to end asap and you have no patience for the person telling the joke.

And considering for many people, death stranding story is utter garbo, may a people had a metaphorical equivalent of second experience with this joke.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's ok to like poor writing. Like I have to ask, what's charming about it?
"Poor writing" like you have some objective claim? No, sorry, it's hammy yeh, it's melodramatic often, it's nonsensical at times, but it works and is a lot of fun. I don't think it is "poor" at all.

You really can't understand why people might find the silliness enjoyable?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I didn't even make it to that scene because I got too bored of delivering packages. As someone who never cared about MGS and waited for Death Stranding to experience Kojima's "genius", I was extremely disappointed.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's really really pointless to talk about this scene.

This scene itself is irrelevant, because the way people view it depends 100% on their experience with the game

If you liked the story, this is just tongue in cheek scene. It's a silly joke your friend told at a party and you all laughed at how terrible it was and moved on.
If you hated it, this was a naked man breaking into your house and smearing shit on the walls, and waiting for you and when you walk in, he tells you the same joke.

Joke is the same, but in one case, it's friends having goof with each other.
In other you are miserable and want this to end asap and you have no patience for the person telling the joke.

And considering for many people, death stranding story is utter garbo, may a people had a metaphorical equivalent of second experience with this joke.

I don't think it's that cut-and-dry.

I liked Death Stranding's story for the most part and was engaged with it, but I found that moment groan worthy.

Granted I did have some sense it was coming, due to playing the game after launch and some of the reception to that scene spilling out, but I also was trying to be on the game's side throughout most of it.

I do think it's a microcosm of Kojima (& Co's) writing. There's an ambivalence to the tone of the scene, and not enough trimming moments that don't serve a scene. It's a weird, forced pun. It's this expectation that you can drop something bizzare then ask people to take the equally ridiculous sincere moments seriously. Is this a joke, or is - like - the whole thing a joke?

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
If people have trouble making it through a scene like this, I dunno how they manage to play JRPGs.